main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo: A Star Wars Story Trailer #2

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 8, 2017.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think it’s doing an audience a disservice to think they couldn’t appreciate a trailer from the same stable or that they are stupid enough to forget about the trailer once they’ve seen the main feature. It’s a captive audience and you’re directing it straight at all the people you hope are going to go and see it. Just a teaser mind, not a full trailer.

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Absolutely - Just a teaser at the end would have been fantastic!

3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I know it’s anecdotal but I knew people who weren’t aware of RO coming out or what it was, people that weren’t huge SW fans yet ironically they still went out and saw TFA because of its hype. Putting a teaser for a spin off that’s only 5 months away, (which will probably make less than the saga films anyway), gives it more a chance by making everyone who saw the saga film aware of it. This will give it more exposure than just a YouTube launch which won’t catch as many potential viewers as a teaser in front of a big film would.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think that both It and Avengers: Infinity War proved that trailers don't need to be in front of a big movie and can still garner millions of views just by being online.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. CloneWarsFan01

CloneWarsFan01 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2015
    I'm gonna say it drops on GMA on Thursday, January 25th to kick off the four months of marketing for Solo, which is a day Rogue One debuted its first trailer and final trailer (a Thursday). Plus, that'll be the week The Star Wars Show returns, so maybe they'll announce the trailer on It's return on Wednesday, January 24th.

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    that's actually really logical!

8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    On the contrary. Releasing trailers as special event (basically none of the recent Star Wars trailers have been just put online) reaches far more people than just adding it to a big movie. Even more so to the release of a new Star Wars movie.

Not only do you grab far more people right away, you also have the possibility of still having it play in front of other movies at the theater as well. It is simply far better to grab the attention with the trailer and then have it run in front of other movies later on, than it is to just throw it out in combination with something that is much bigger than the trailer is. Again, putting it with TLJ just makes it fall into irrelevancy because everyone will talk about the movie. The whole point of trailers is to get people's attention and to get people to talk about it so that even more people hear about it. That doesn't happen when the trailer is an afterthought to the new movie you just released.

There is a reason why no big movie releases its trailer alongside other movies anymore. Disney in particular has made sure that the trailers get released at a time where they take the headlines and grab the attention. The trailers are going to play in theaters for quite some time anyway, you don't need a big movie to pair it with.

9. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    That Express website is HORRIBLE. They contstantly release speculation as news. I can't understand how it can be a legitimate site.

10. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    They're fond of citing you-know-who as a source for their articles as well.

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I am cringing at the thought of a Solo trailer releasing anytime soon. I imagine it will attract a lot of downvotes ‘just because’ (and no doubt after TLJ there will be a vocal minority that will be very nitpicky with this trailer). There is just too much divisiveness over Star Wars right now. Another movie, let alone a trailer so soon will elicit groans. Let the wounds heal. December 2018 please.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. The Wagonmaster

The Wagonmaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2017
    This film comes out in less than 19 weeks and we still know nothing about it. I was hyped for this movie more than The Last Jedi, but now I'm starting to believe the rumors. They have no confidence in this movie.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think it's too late for that now.

14. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Disney isn't gonna move Solo to December. They can't. Disney already has Mary Poppins Returns scheduled for Christmas Day 2018 and WB already has Aquaman for December 21st along with Paramount's Bumblebee out that day. Plus, the week before is Universal's Mortal Engines from Peter Jackson and Sony Pictures Animation's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. They can't do it. Also, Fox moved Deadpool 2 a week before Solo because they're afraid Deadpool will be crushed by Star Wars. Also, if Disney moved it, they wouldn't put out that Solo poster in movie theaters with the May 25th date on it. Plus, Disney needs Avengers and Solo to help them rule the summer box office along with their other summer releases (Incredibles 2 in June, Ant-Man and the Wasp in July, and Christopher Robin in August) and become the #1 studio of the domestic box office of the year for a third time in a row as this article from @ManaByte makes the case for that: http://manabyte.com/2017/07/lucasfilm-may-not-delay-han-solo/amp/

Mostly Handless and dolphin like this.
  15. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Hopefully, that first trailer will prove you wrong and those rumors will be proven untrue. Also, Jordan Maison heard the opposite that ScreenGeek says Disney has no confidedence in this movie, he said Disney expects it to succeed with Ron Howard saving the movie, even Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge says Ron Howard will have made Solo into a beautiful movie.

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I've seen some great trailers for movies that are subpar and I've seen some bad trailers for good movies (less likely). Even if this thing is an absolute train wreck, they can edit a teaser together that puts it in the best light and makes it look awesome.

17. The Wagonmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    You have a good point. MOST of the time, you can tell a movie is good by the trailer, but the way Disney has been doing it is incredibly vaguely. The trailer will probably show us next to nothing.

18. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, per Jordan Maison, they're showing a full-on 2.5 minute trailer, so, hopefully, it's full of good stuff in it.

19. The Wagonmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    I've said this a long time ago, but I think that Ron Howard is the perfect director for a Star Wars film, so in that sense, it might be good. My fear is that Kathleen Kennedy got her hands all over it.

20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I wonder if Ron has wrapped Larry's birthday present yet.

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm more worried about what he started with... He may have inherited an absolute dud, and there is only so much you can do with that!

22. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    The script is supposed to be excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah I've heard that... I'm sure the script was air tight. I was more talking about the actors performances/chemistry, sets, costumes etc. If all of that was crap to begin with and you have to turn it into Picasso [face_dunno]

24. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Most of the film was reshot, so I’m not concerned about the actors performances and I’m sure the designs will be fantastic - the Lego sets look amazing.

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    This thread is a thorn in my side. Two reasons really, 1) the trailer hasn't been release yet so this is just a painful reminder of that fact, and 2) it keeps at the forefront of my mind the dilemma that I will be faced with once it does get released - should I even watch the darn thing?

So thanks I guess.

Avnar likes this.