main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Would a Jar Jar book really be that bad?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm not a fan of any character-centric novels. So that's a no from me.

A Jar Jar book for young kids (10 and under) is actually a perfect marriage. I look at Jar Jar like the Ewoks. I loved the Ewoks as a young kid, so if young kids like Jar Jar then I have no serious problem with him for that demographic. Although I've heard that Jar Jar is even split in that demographic.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  2. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Clone Wars redeemed Jar Jar for me - I certainly don't dislike him as much as I used to. A well-written Jar Jar novel would be fun, but it wouldn't have the mass appeal to find an audience. It's a shame!

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Like Jello, I like the idea of him being a honored Imperial hero. And I think he was in Legends, mentioned as a respected Imperial figure. He was passingly mentioned a few times that he was around Naboo too, if I remember. I think his role in Aftermath was really just pandering to Prequel haters, like 'yeah take that hated fan figure!' when his out-of-universe role really doesn't compare to his in-universe role, as he's one of the people that called for decisive action and the formation of the Empire.

4. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    In one word, YES.

5. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I think I'm probably the only person on the planet that sees the Aftermath interlude as a nod to the Jar Jar, Sith Lord fan theory--doesn't he end up basically adopting a special child covered in scars? My initial impression was, oh, they're playing on the theory by "hinting" that Jar Jar will train Snoke haha.

As for a Jar Jar novel, I'd read it. But I'm with Jester, I don't want another character-centric novel. Give me a good story that Jar Jar fits into as one of the main protagonists, maybe he meets Luke and Leia after Jakku and tells stories of working with their mother while they're saving the galaxy from Daala or something.

6. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Agreed. [Character Name title] novels seem more like filler than "proper" timeline expansion storytelling. Bloodline is Leia-centric, but a much better read and story than Tarkin or Ahsoka. I wish they'd go for more ensamble-of-known-characters books (and comics) like in the pre-Disney days.

That said, I'd still read a Binks novel. :p

7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Ugh! For me it'd be a no of a Jar Jar novel but I do agree a book for kids is better.

I agree. I'm reading Thrawn now and enjoying it, about half way through but overall I think character-centric novels, good or not, are being used to fill in history for the Canon, i.e. giving Tarkin and Thrawn new histories. It'd be nice to see after some of this Canon background is filled to see some of adventures. I'm really looking forward to Alliances for example. Bloodline I'd say was a different character driven novel considering it began to give an idea of that oh so mysterious post-ROTJ era and showed Hosnian Prime.

8. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I'd read a Jar Jar novel out of simple curiosity. That said, I do not think that a Jar Jar novel would be a good idea.

For many people, Jar Jar represents everything they disliked about the PT. There would be a lot of prejudice to confront and I'm not sure that the novel could overcome this.

jSarek likes this.
  9. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The only thing worse than a Jar Jar novel is the corresponding Jar Jar audiobook

Senpezeco, SilentGuy66 and jSarek like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'd read it.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think I could deal with reading pages and pages of Jar-Jar speak.

12. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Let me put it this way.

I read the novelization of The Phantom Menace reading text in Jar Jar's speech patterns was quite irritating. Terry Brooks is a fine writer and that whole book was basically an exercise in putting lipstick on a pig, but getting around that awful speech pattern is hard enough without having to make that character the main focus of the story.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    OMG...Ahmed Best would HAVE to narrate!

I'd love if they brought the audiodramas back! ANH one was especially good!

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Karen Traviss. After all, Jar Jar is a "flawed" character! :D

15. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Indeed! Over 6 million forms of podcasts out there yet now SW audiodramas. It's a shame.

spicer and Stymi like this.
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Show him juggling on Naboo and being laughed at like a clown.

17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I never liked Jar Jar. But my honest opinion is that there is a clear and present disconnect between what the TCW established and left off with to where the character ended up at Aftermath .

I don't find the fate they gave him believable or entirely warranted. Jar Jar tragic figure and all sure , but much of that burden could be laid before Padme and all the thunderous applauding Senators too. I mean realistically Jar Jar was a hero during the Republic era from the films to TCW. I think a fall of grace could've been established that he was disgraced by Palpatine himself and stripped of whatever powers and prestige he had. Jar Jar was still one of the heroes of the Clone War, TCW did establish that too. I don't feel LFL handled Jar Jar well at the end to me it seems they went all GOT on him for no reason. Sure Jar Jar was a buffoon, but because of him he saved Naboo at the time and how many people of Naboo hated or ever resisted Palpatine from Senator to Supreme Chancellor. Padme for most of her duration was a major supporter. And to a broader public at large would be something of a hero even for the Staunch Imperialists .

If you can have goofy Luke milking a dinosaur for its breast milk, surely they could've had an adventure with Jar Jar and Luke post ROTJ where Jar Jar could've acted as another source of information about the past. Moreover, Jar Jar also had a connection with the Bardottans, certainly would be of interest to Luke to learn about the Force and all. Or even if they got wiped out by the Empire, that could've been a good story for Jar Jar or his end even.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  18. A comic book sounds better

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I will not be satisfied until I have a Jar Jar trilogy.

20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    A Jar Jar animated series too! It'd certainly make a lot more sense than Forces Of Destiny

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Why would it ever need to be made?