main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi clarification thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Jan 12, 2018.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    He was wearing his Jedi robes to perform the ceremony to end the Jedi Order (presumably meaning to burn the tree). Since Rey interrupted him, he changed out of the ceremonial robes into regular clothes. That's why he changes back into the ceremonial robes later in the movie when he goes to burn the tree–he's finishing the ceremony he was contemplating at the end of TFA: the destruction of the Jedi Order.

2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I was wondering if Luke was going to will himself to become one with the Force. I like your idea more. Then again where Rey finds Luke is the opposite direction from the stone huts and where the Force Tree and books are located. Also where is Luke's flare?

Then again Luke might be taking his time to make sure this is the right decision. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I think they were all kicked at large distance by the impact. Then they regrouped and moved toward Finn.

QUESTIONS
    1) why did Leia decide that after the evacuation it was not worthy anymore to attack?
    2) why couldn't she stop the attack?
    3) is it 100 % confirmed that Dj was not the real Codebreaker, and he didn't just lose the red flower to the charming dude?
    4) if he wasn't, why was he able to do the job? Maz said it was something nobody else could do.
    5) why didn't Holdo and co. use the remaining fuel to do a superfast travel to a planet like Crait, instead of going there at normal speed?
    6) why didn't the police of Canto Bight simply go to Finn and say: "Sir, unfortunately you will have to remove your ship from the beach", instead of putting them in jail and then leaving the ship where it was?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Are we considering the end confrontation between Luke and Kylo Ren a lightsaber "fight" and who won ? I know it's not a fight in the classic sense...

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Whoever got trolled loses.

6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    1) Could be because she got cold feet about committing such an attack against the large FO fleet.
    2) I don't think she could not have. She chose not to. Except doing so would caused doubts among the pilots and undermined Poe.
    3) Yes, DJ was a codebreaker but not the one Maz had referred to.
    4) I believe Maz is talking more about trust than ability. I doubt she would refer them to someone whose loyalties were so thin.
    5) Not sure what you mean by superfast, but another lightspeed jump would have used all their fuel and going faster would use up all their fuel faster and Crait was likely too far away (also, they needed the fuel to load up the transports).
    6) Because thematically Canto Bight is a place where the priorities of society are flipped. Parking violations are likely considered serious because they upset 'appearance' and all their visitors/clients probably pay money to be in a place where appearance is everything. They've spoiled the beach and so are put into jail until presumably some sort of trial and punishment. Add to that also the fact that it's a probably a place that is a stickler for rules. They broke a rule and have to pay. Their way of apprehending the suspects too speaks for the police's no tolerance approach to people who break the rules, a far cry from police who are supposed to arguably protect the slaves etc. Basically it all serves to be a commentary on the people of Canto Bight who seem content to ignore what's going on in the wider galaxy and under the noses in favour of pomp and ceremony.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    One of my gripes was why did Leia leave the dice on the floor of the Crait base after Luke gave them to her?

ChildOfWinds and cerealbox like this.
  8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    She knows they're not real I would imagine, just as she knows Luke is not real. From a script POV, it's so that Kylo can watch them fade into nothing in his hand, further symbolising how he's lost everything while Rey has her belonging in what might once have become his ship.

9. Skillzwalker

Oct 24, 2015
    thats how i read it too but for some reason its stuck with me, the though she just dropped them on the floor! However i understand from a story telling POV it was an important scene having Kylo find them.

So I am essentially in the process of trying to ignore/forget Leia dropping them

Tanjint and Satipo like this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I just assumed that in the rush to evacuate, they were dropped.
    The dice weren’t neccesarily there so that they could be an heirloom or something, more just as a gentle reminder of Han to emphasise the point that nobody is ever really gone - you’ll find reminders of people who you loved long after they have died. And then, from a plot perspective, her dropping them allows for Kylo to get almost the exact opposite - he’s losing EVERYTHING, and he probably would have wanted to keep the dice as a reminder of the father that he didn’t actually hate but did kill.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. Skillzwalker

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah its a minor gripe for me but for some reason it has resonated. The Kylo scene with the dice is important and thats what matters.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Thanks for your detailed answer. I just don't buy number 5) and number 6). Considering the time they needed to get close to Crait at normal speed, there is no way it was too far for a lightspeed jump. It could at most be too close. Consider that after the vehicles left the Raddus it had still enough fuel for a jump. So they just needed to do a jump in close proximity to Crait (less than a second of travel).
    For the parking, if what they really needed was just to save the image, they should have at least quickly removed the ship!

13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Remember that the intention of going to Crait was to hide unseen from the first order until the first order passed by - it was not a practical place to hole up in indefinitely with the first order knowing they were there.
    Had they jumped to crait with the first order in pursuit, they would have been bombarded from the air and the ground by the full force of the first order’s fleet, while they were in the desperate situation they ended up being at the end of the film.

Eternal_Jedi, Sarge, zackm and 4 others like this.
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    That's a nice one. I'm convinced.

Satipo likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Pretty much this.

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Sometimes when you're home alone you wear nice clothes and sometimes you wear sweatpants/sweatshirt. When he is fishing or milking, doesn't want to wear his nice white robes...just like if you're doing yard work, you're not going to wear a suit.

Darth Dnej and Oswin Oswald like this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think he was taking his time but Luke was indeed extremely conflicted on the matter. There was something deep inside him that was saying it wasn't the right thing to do. He even hesitated to do it after what happened with Rey. He held up the torch, looked at the tree for a good while, not moving. Even after what just went down he was still contemplating whether or not to do it, torch in hand. Then he turned to face Yoda and Yoda did it for him.

Eternal_Jedi, TK327 and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. He was trying to give himself a reason not to do it.

Tanjint, Sarge, Eternal_Jedi and 2 others like this.
  19. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    Why didn't Luke try to fight Snoke himself? What was stopping him from personally confronting the monster? I could really use some clarity on this front...

20. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    It's a great question and we just don't know enough at this point. Hopefully we'll learn more in the future.

Tanjint and cut-of-space like this.
  21. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    Hmm... You may be right, thanks for replying. The best explanation I've found is that Snoke's location was simply too well-hidden for Luke to find. But even this answer doesn't fully satisfy me, because at least Luke could have dedicated himself to the search for Snoke's location. I'm pretty confident that Luke was strong enough to defeat this villain single-handedly, Snoke already seemed scared of him... Is there something obvious I'm missing here? What other barriers could have been stopping Luke from destroying Snoke? Was it his reluctance to face his nephew again...? I can't seem to wrap my head around this.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  22. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    If Snoke stayed on the Supremacy in the Unknown Regions, it would be all but impossible to find him. And then, as you alluded to, he would probably have to take on Kylo too.

23. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    It's possible that Luke simply couldn't find Snoke, and I guess that might do as a placeholder explanation but like you say it's not entirely convincing.

Way back when I was thinking that a confrontation with Luke was the cause of Snoke's severe facial injuries, as in, the two had fought and Luke emerged victorious but had already lost the wider conflict (with Ben Solo) so it was a pyhrric victory. Until that is contradicted by canon material, I'm sticking with that!

Doompup, Tanjint, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  24. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    *Accidental post

25. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    I couldn't disagree more.

Darth-Seldon likes this.