main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'll probably check it out when it comes out on dvd, to be honest.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    lol the Express

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You're all gonna see it, like it, and go see the film and like it and you know it.

Sarge likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Sorry, the volume is low.

Sarge, gezvader28 and Maulfly like this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Will it be much lighter?
    The previous directors were supposedly fired for making it too jokey.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I wonder what kind of dynamic is behind getting excited for the saga films and deriding the story films in advance.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I was fine with a Story film like Rogue One, where we essentially don't know any of the main characters. I am far more hesitant about film starring characters we know and loathe, because there will be the inevitable comparison.

Of course, I'll be seeing it preview night.

Maulfly likes this.
  8. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I try not to be part of a trend. So far, the one I've been most excited for in advance was Rogue One and I ended up loving it. I'm very worried about the quality of Solo for a few reasons. First, I'm not really sure a young Han Solo movie is a good idea, given how iconic Ford was in the role. Second, I think that they picked an actor who doesn't seem right and the filmmakers themselves seem to have been struggling with the choice as well, ie. hiring him an acting teacher, etc. Third, they made a really bold choice in terms of hiring two really brilliant, dare I say genius, directors . . . and then fired them. Fourth, they replaced them with a very bland establishment choice in terms of directors who hasn't done anything particularly interesting in quite a while.

It's been a cascading kind of thing for me. "Well, I'm not sure it's a good idea, but maybe it will work if they cast someone really good." "Well, they cast someone that doesn't seem right, but if they get a really good director maybe it'll still be okay." "Okay, well, they did cast some amazing directors, so I'm starting to kind of hope now that . . . wait, they did what?" etc.

EDIT: If I hear it's really good, I'll go see it. If I turn out to have been wrong and it is really good, I'll own up to it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The most surprising thing is how far into development Lucasfilm allowed things to get before they acted & made changes.
    So far with the other movies everything has been dealt with early on & changed if necessary before it caused production issues.

You'd think it would be obvious early on if an actor isn't right for the part (although shouldn't that be obvious during auditions?), so drop them before production is too far along & get someone else.
    Same with directors, it seemed like it was obvious from the start that Lord & Miller were at odds with Kasdan & Co about how the movie should be done. So why hire them in the first place? They're the types that need to have freedom to do things their way (as RJ did with TLJ) which they were not going to get.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Is Chewie in it ? or is it before they met ?

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Pretty sure Chewie is in it.
    But maybe not from the start[​IMG]

gezvader28 likes this.
  13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    they need to sack the costume designer .

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Or the continuity person.

Chewie still doesn't have his moustache.
    That looks like ST Chewie.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, the 'stache would definitely make the difference.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Kasdan's screenplay is still the one thing the movie has going for it and that is not insubstantial. But, after all this, it had better be as good as people are saying it is. If Lord & Miller got fired because they weren't respecting Kasdan's screenplay enough and then it turns out the screenplay isn't that great, that's when you're gonna realize it was a true cluster****. If Kasdan's screenplay turns out to be great, ok, then maybe no harm, no foul, but we'll see.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Wasn't the only other director "fix" for Rogue One, which they changed for re-shoots, and therefore later than for Solo?

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Re-shoots are standard, it's hardly the same as firing the director and effectively doing the movie over again (depending on what you read in regards to Solo).

Rogue One was tweaked, enough of the original movie was there that Edwards still got director credit.
    And the composer was also changed?

I was referring more to stuff like getting rid of Trevorrow before IX began filming (when it was clear his vision didn't fit with what Lucasfilm wanted), and how they managed to deal with various script changes early in TFA's development because Arndt got dropped.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Reshoots are normal, reshoots with a different director not so much. I had forgotten about Trevorrow.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'll go to the premier. I'm going to 17 movie premieres this year overall, and most of them are probably going to be mediocre to terrible.

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    17 premieres ? who are you , Prince Harry ?

Diggy and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  22. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i thought it was awesome!

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  25. VadersLaMent