main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Enjoyed the latest issue.

themoth likes this.
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Another great issue. Nu died with dignity and took it up to Vader verbally. I dig it when they play up Vader’s deviousness, such as when he lies to Palpatine. Can’t wait for the next comic.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  3. These comics are the best since Disney buy the franchise
    For me it's even better than the first series of Vader

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2018
  4. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    I never would've thought I wanted to see more Jocasta Nu. This series is blowing me away....as great as Darth Vader was, Dark Lord of the Sith is on a quick path to overtaking it.

5. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s as good to me. Both series have been solid.

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Am definitely enjoying the new series but I personally still put the Gillen's Vader series ahead of this one. Gillen's series did great in terms of introducing new original characters to us (whom of which became so popular with readers that they were given their very own series). THe current series hasn't really developed any original characters as of yet. Maybe that will change in the next couple arcs though.

7. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I loved Gillen´s Vader, and I think I´m loving this one slightly more, if that´s possible. The one thing that is tipping the balance is that the Inquisitors, whenever they start to really show up in the series, are to me far more interesting than Cylo´s agents (I still liked those, especially Voidgazer).

I´m still waiting for that Inquisitorius development, and for a little Imperial Dignitaries action, since this series was hinted to dive into Coruscant political arena too, if I remember correctly. I think Tarkin is due to appear in a future story arc?

spicer and kalzeth like this.
  8. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    I dig the balance between vulnerable and badass. Vader is establishing his reputation in this series. He wants to kill his past life and replace it with the new one.

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    From issue 13 onwards, yep. There's also the return to Mon Cala, so I expect to see some familiar faces there.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    themoth, Ithorians and Vialco like this.
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Where'd you hear that?

11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    DARTH VADER #13
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A/C)
    GALACTIC ICON VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    As the Empire’s grip tightens, the stirrings of Rebellion begin in the Mon Cala system. Order must be maintained…a job which falls to Vader, his inquisitors…and Wilhuff Tarkin.
    32 PGS. /Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

themoth and Vialco like this.
  12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Interesting. I look forward to seeing the Inquisitors in action. And what Tarkin thinks of them.

kalzeth likes this.
  13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    It will be interesting to see if they do any significant time jumps during this series. They still are only a few weeks out from ROTS and they have about a five year window that they can play with without really running into any other forms of canon in the timeline (Lords of the Sith doesn't take place until 14BBY). The events of Catalyst are taking place during the same time of this comic but all the series would have to do to avoid interferring with any details from that book is to not get into any Death Star storylines.

14. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I agree, this has easily been the strongest series Marvel have released. Issue 2 was a bit meh, but all the others have been excellent.

themoth and spicer like this.
  15. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Very cool. I’m eager to see how Tarkin grows to deeply respect Vader

16. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    I am a bit confused about one thing: if Vader was already getting on this early that Palpatine has machinations to replace him, why does he have a sort of moment of realization when Cylo IVs experiments are revealed and he learns they've been in the works since Mustafar? The 2015 Vader series plays it off as a sort of revelation for him which, along with Luke's identity being discovered, is what pits him firmly against Palpatine long term.

I assume there's something that's supposed to happen in-between that and this to temporarily remove these fears from Vader?

17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Shortly after ROTS, or in other words as seen in this series, Vader is insecure, suspicious and somewhat paranoid, but he has no solid evidence that Palpatine is actively working on replacing him. In the Gillen series, Vader has that solid proof.

iPodwithnomusic and Vialco like this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah. In this series Vader was pretty much just reacting to the doubt Jocasta was putting into his head. In Gillen's series he was given proof that the Emperor was actively trying to replace him.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, I think it would be absolutely criminal if the scene from the end of ROTS, where Palpatine, Vader, and Tarkin are viewing the under-construction Death Star out of the window of a Star Destroyer, isn't included at some point in this comic.

20. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    What if their mutual arc starts with that very scene and after it ends, Palpatine sends them both on their mission? :)

Vialco likes this.
  21. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    Every time that I am tempted to say that this series is better, something prevents me from saying it with as much gusto as I'd like. I think this hits my hesitations right on the head: the lack of new characters. I do appreciate that he's developing characters that we already know, and I love seeing more of the Inquisitors, but I also loved seeing new characters develop and take a life on their own.

Though, Gillen's Darth Vader run needed those new characters because Darth Vader was limited in the way that he could grow or not. Aphra and the creations had to fill that role (and boy, did Aphra do that!) In this case, we have a lot of room for Darth Vader to grow, so maybe we don't need the side characters as badly?

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That is true that Aphra was really brought into the story out of necessity because they couldn't have Vader having a whole lot of dialogue at that point in time. I still think though there is room to have original characters play significant roles in this time period and I would be a little disappointed if we go through the entire series strictly following already established characters.

Revanfan1 and Vialco like this.
  23. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    This whole Vader series has been incredible. I loved seeing the inquisitors, Jocasta Nu is back, etc. I can't wait to see how long this series goes and how it ends.

24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A small continuity error or not? In the Star Wars Visual Encyclopedia published last year there is an image of what is referred to as Vader's first red lightsaber.
    [​IMG]

However, in the comics his first red bladed lightsaber is not the same as shown in the reference book. Is this a mistake or can it be explained somehow? The only explanation I can come up with is that the lightsaber shown in the reference book is the first Vader built himself, not the very first he owned.

Opinions?

kalzeth and Vialco like this.
  25. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    At the time it was published, it was the first red lightsaber. Now it’s not. Thankfully it isn’t an in universe book, but at the same time, didn’t they warn us about all this? Continuity is more of a guide, but they aren’t going to let it get in the way of a good story.

I wouldn’t even be irritated at that. However, if a new encyclopedia is written with updated info, and it is still incorrect? Yea, then I would be frustrated.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force