main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Happy Weekend @Nehru_Amidala :)
    Though for me I still have work tomorrow before I can finally lean back.

2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I also work on Saturday, but I will be writing a fanfiction tomorrow morning.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Huzzah for the weekend. I just finished the paper that has been taking up all my typing energy. I still have to do some major edits, but I'm taking the weekend off.

So, I logged into Facebook and my former student union was posting a "moose update" regarding the location of a moose. I spent the longest time trying to figure out if they meant an ACTUAL LIVE moose, or the mascot. It was the mascot, but honestly, a real moose would have been just as likely. I was joking about this with my housemate and she said, "No, sadly it wasn't a 'lion on campus' scenario." My housemate did her BA in Kenya. When she'd message me LION ON CAMPUS, it meant there was a literal lion on the campus.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I was scheduled to work tomorrow day shift, but my boss called this afternoon. He didn't call from the office number so I didn't know it was him and we put in to try and adopt a dog the other day and I hoped it was them. Otherwise I usually don't answer numbers I don't know. But it was my boss and he asked if I'd work nights tomorrow instead. This is why I usually don't answer the phone when it's work, and I just listen to the message because I can't say no if I'm actually talking to them. *sigh* And I don't want to not work a night because I don't like them, it's because I do like them when I'm at work, but working nights sucks for the parts of your life that aren't work related. Since I don't particularly like this job, I'm afraid I'll like it better on nights and end up taking a job on nights there. (Convoluted, I know.)

Yay for getting the paper done, Bri!!

Masker_Lok, I hope things go well!

Master_Lok and AzureAngel2 like this.
  5. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    I know the feeling @mavjade. Even if I know it's a work number I make them leave a message. If it isn't important enough to leave a message it isn't important enough for me to call back. Sorry you and @Nehru_Amidala have to work on the weekend. :(

What kind of dog are you trying to adopt? I love dogs, my wife and I have no kids so my three dogs are my babies. Can you post a picture?

Joe

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    from https://phill-art.deviantart.com/

"I've always loved Calvin and Hobbes since I was really young. I recently came across a spin off comic on facebook by the guys from PANTSAREOVERRATED.com www.pantsareoverrated.com/page… It's based on Calvin and Susie as adults, where they are married and they have a daughter named Bacon (As far as her name I though it was awkward at first, but someone pointed out she is really named "Francis" and "Bacon" is the cute nickname her parents have given her. This would fall in line with the philosophical names of (John) Calvin and (Thomas) Hobbes). Sadly they only made four strips , so I'd like to continue it. It really inspired me and I instantly thought of the potential different directions it could go, while still being loyal to Bill Watterson's style. What I loved most about Watterson's work was it wasn't confined to the real world, it went into Calvin's imagination, which gave all sorts of different visuals that a lot of newspaper funnies missed out on."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ I want more of that!

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Phew! Yesterday was quite good. There's still this air of uncertainity that's making me a wee bit panicky, but I shall say nothing more than - LOOKS LIKE THINGS ARE FINALLY LOOKING UP FOR ME. I'm about to move and do something and I have a schedule defined for the rest of the month. Now I only need some back-up plans, some quick blog or small site design and development, so I can cover the next couple of months. As of Monday, we're officially out of my stash and will have to either borrow or use mom's rainy day fund...or both. Let's see how to remind the Swiss aunt of what she promised and be really nice with mom's rich second cousin and her husband - he's a great guy.

So, crepes and A New Hope for (revised) Julian New Year's Eve tonight and then it's 2018 proper and no more 201x, FOREVAAAAAAAAAH. [face_devil]=D=[face_dancing]

@mavjade - That sucks. But I hope the dog people will call, too.

@Briannakin - Yay!

@Master_Lok - You'll make it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Great news!

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you. :) In the meantime, I also talked to the son of mom's best high school friend - he might have those little jobs I mentioned for me, I just need to update my stuff and present it as a website and a PDF. Not going to be a problem. However, there will have to be more s-word aka schedules. DDCs got me into s-ing to a certain extent, so I hope that will be good. :D This MUST be a good year, period. I want to get out of the last year's rut, earn enough to fix stuff, live happily and, yeah, go to my home away from home. And I want my friends to sort out their problems too, as they have many (health problems, divorces on the horizon etc...) and we all deserve to be happy again. :)

11. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I can agree with that, and I hope 2018 is a good year for you.

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks again. :)

The crepes turned BETTER THAN EVER. Instead of converting American measurements to European ones, I remembered that I have a measuring cup which has everything written in cups, as well as grams and mililitres.

Now watching ANH. First break. Watched the film so, so many times, never noticed how funny Artoo's fall is. Love it how each and every time there's a new gem to spot, after all these years. [face_love]

But I cried at the first sight of Leia...the first time we're watching since Carrie passed away. :_|:leia:

13. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    That's rough, I know. It was sad watching her scenes in TLJ when I saw it for the first time.

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, especially at the end... "No one is ever really gone." :_|:_|

15. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Also, the fact that they dedicated the movie to her memory and it was Leia's theme they played over it was bittersweet for me.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We've been trying to adopt a dog for awhile, and keep striking out. We've been using PetFinder (we've also tried the ASPCA but most of the dogs there are just too big for us) and four times the dog we ask about has already been adopted, and one time we lived too far away for them to do a home visit. This dog, we've just not heard from them yet, but he's a West Highland White Terrier (Westie) which is the kind of dog I grew up with. I'd love a westie, but I'm also willing to adopt other dogs.

I'm starting to think we're going to have to drive out of the city and go look at shelters because the process is really frustrating having to write your entire life history for an application and then find out the dog has been adopted already.

17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Too bad you can't reserve a dog for adoption.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That was good. :) Now we're waiting for the midnight to toast again. I hope I won't get sick, since I had, like, five crepes: three with Eurocrem, bananas and shredded coconut, one with apricot jam with orange peels and lemon juice and one with my aromatic cinnamon and sugar mix. Mom had four jam ones, but she seems to be taking it better than me.

A pal who is into all sort of esoteric stuff did a Tarot reading for me. I still have to go through the results, but at the first glance, they seem kind of weird. Like, I asked three questions, the answer to #1 implies a lot of hard work and some more months of "family's support", #2 is half-okay, half-disturbing, #3 is a straight up "no".

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @mavjade my sister and brother-in-law drove out of state (to NJ) to adopt their Frenchies. Best of luck with that.

@Ewok Poet Happy New Year! Glad to hear potential jobs might be happening. And crepes!

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Darn it, now I'm hungry! And I JUST HAD LUNCH! I've never tried making crepes, they always seem so fiddly. What's the secret to them not sticking to the pan, @Ewok Poet?

Master_Lok, AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Vegetable oil or butter, I imagine.

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is the recipe I use: http://www.aslag.net/crepes-making.html

I changed one thing, though. I put about a tablespoon of sunflower oil on the frying pan and make sure it spreads evenly and I DO heat the pan enough. Still, just like in the original recipe (and about any other recipe, ever), the first crepe comes out all wonky. In my case, it comes out kind of greasy, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, you do see two different scripts on the first image - we use both equally, because WEIRDOS. [face_rofl]

23. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Looks like I was right about the oil.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yup. :) Then again, you do appreciate the sophisticated art of cooking. ;)

I have half of my fic-gift done, but I'm so, so full. [face_sick] I think I'll set the alarm to ten or something and just doze off, hoping that I don't wake up nauseous. I hate always being the last or second last to post, but yeah. [face_dunno]

Master_Lok and AzureAngel2 like this.
  25. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Good evening. :) I'm extremely hungry now. Hope everyone's enjoying the weekend!