main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    All the CG in TPM was rendered at 1080p. That some of the CG looks soft is probably due to the rather clumsy use of digital noise removal on the Blu-ray.

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Do you know if it was rendered in 1080p specifically? Will it need to be upscaled for 4K?

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I think Ewan McGregor’s wig was rendered on a Word document, to be honest.

4. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    We just got a 4K TV a few weeks ago; our old 52" Sony from 2007 had developed a vertical black line that appears for a while after turning it on, and there were some great Black Friday deals. Went for a 65" model. :)

Our BluRay player has been flakey for a while, frequently crashing (especially when loading Netflix), so we grabbed a nice Sony 4K BD player for almost 50% off during Boxing Week.

Tried out the Netflix 4K content for a month... Didn't think it was worth the extra monthly fee. There was one nature program which looked quite stunning in 4K, but for most of the movies and TV shows in 4K, it was hard to tell it wasn't just 1080p unless standing a couple of feet away from the screen.

Looks like the first 4K disc we'll buy will be The Dark Crystal: Anniversary Edition on March 6, followed by TLJ.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it was rendered in 1080p specifically, but I might be wrong. But the reshoots for TPM were done with 1080p digital cameras, so the film still isn't quite suited to be upscaled to 4K.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I believe there's only one scene they shot on 1080p digital (the midichlorian test). But yeah, it'll be very noticeable in 4K, I should imagine.

7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I finally decided to upgrade to 4K. And IMAX. At my home.

[​IMG]

BB-8 My Homework, Bowen and yanote like this.
  8. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Is there finally a release date for the bluray disc?

9. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I think there's one more scene, but I can't for the life of me remember which, so maybe I'm wrong. But yeah, that'll be very noticable in 4K - it's even noticable on DVD. :p

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yeah, the contrast is poor and it looks muddy. AOTC should be a joy in 4K!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    4K is awesome and I cant wait.

12. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    That’s my future dream home plan. I know IMAX does private home theater work but I’m not sure what it would cost. In my estimation it must be a few hundred thousand dollars, which is above my budget for the next house haha. In 4 years my GF and I will custom build a home in Las Vegas (probably Summerlin) when we move and I will put a dedicated home theater room but I have to keep the budget at least somewhat reasonable like maybe $50,000. I think for that I can get a killer sound system (my current was $7K and it’s 7.1, puts out crazy watts, so I don’t see why not) and at least a medium level 4K projector. I mean from what I’ve seen you can get a low level professional 4K projector for $10,000 and better ones go from there; there are even entry level ones as cheap as a few thousand bucks but they’re pretty trash.

That IMAX idea though makes me drool. I am 35, so new house at 40, I will probably be 55 before I built another house after that lol but hey one day! I’ll make it happen :p

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  13. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    A commentary would be great. May appreciate his decisions more.

Ricardo Funes and Bowen like this.
  14. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    [​IMG]
    #TheLastJedi[​IMG] Target Exclusive Blu-Ray Cover: Includes a 40-page booklet, behind-the-scenes look at the making of TLJ with exclusive images. Also an exclusive featurette 'Meet the Porgs.' [Target]

whostheBossk, EHT, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Wow, this is the edition to get.

EHT likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Damn those American store-exclusive releases! We never get those extra goodies on this side of the pond.

That cover is gorgeous, btw.

17. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Target always gets the best exclusives.

18. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    The original DVD release of the X-Men movie did this. It wasn't very seamlessly put together (and sometimes it comprised alternate versions of existing scenes), making it a very jumpy way to view the movie (I used to like to do this as a pseudo-extended version -- and some of the deleted material would've made the movie better had it been kept in -- but it's not the optimal way to view the movie).

Not sure if Star Wars movies'll ever do this, but you can read the novelizations and get an idea of how the deleted scenes would've fit into the movies.

Personally, I want to get the Target version. Any idea if it's a BluRay with a bonus book or is it one of those weird sets where the discs fit into pockets of the book?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    TheFastJedi likes this.
  19. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Might have to go for the Target BluRay instead of the general release version, for the book. I hope the discs are in a case though - I hate loose discs in cardboard pockets.

20. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    You and me both, although the past might suggest that they are in pockets. Weren't the Target exclusive versions of X-Men: Apocalypse and Logan with a book component basically a BluRay case-sized hardcover that had little pockets for the discs in the cover, with a slip cover that made the book look like a standard BluRay release?

21. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Maybe it will be available on Amazon.com. BTW, here in spain, The Art Of The Last Jedi is 40€. I got it through Amazon for 26€!!

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed, this version looks great. Best Buy will have their steelbook version again, but not sure yet what exclusive content it will have. I doubt it or Walmart’s version will be better than this Target one.

23. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    The TFA edition through Target was so crappy they lost me as a customer for their exclusives. Just shoddy quality and I don’t keep any movies cases ever unless it’s Star Wars or a steelbook. If I did I would need a house twice as large. I have about 4,000 movies and TV shows so I just toss the cases and put them in 1,000 CD / DVD cases and log them in Delicious Library so that I can look up and retrieve whatever I want to see. Star Wars is the only movie series I exempt from this treatment as I watch the movies enough they stay in their boxes. I made an exception for Target’s case and threw it away, once I bought the 3D special edition lol

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  24. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Could not care less
    the first SW I will not physically buy
    just waiting to legally download a copy to make my fan edit for personal viewing

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    “I hate this movie so much that I won’t buy the Blu-ray. Though I will still actually buy the movie. And use it as the basis of some creative work I will do myself for my own enjoyment”