main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sad Fate of Chewbacca, R2-D2 and Threepio...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jaqen, Jan 14, 2018.

1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Han Solo has been murdered.
    Luke Skywalker has transcended.
    Leia lives, but Carrie is gone.

With the Big 3 being transitioned out of the ST, where does that leave their beloved sidekicks?

What purpose does R2 serve without Luke? The ST didn't establish any bond between him and the new characters. And BB8 is the new cute, super resourceful droid on tap.

Threepio's biggest champion was always Leia. Who will see him as anything more than just an annoying, outdated hunk of hardware?

And who is Chewie without his life partner Han? Their "marriage" was as strong as ever in TFA, and now he's largely hanging around people who know nothing about him.

I love the ST, but lately it's really hitting me how sad it is to consider these old, ever youthful, still lovable sidekicks, really have no serious place in this trilogy.

What's to become of them?

2. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Yeah, the death of Luke left me feeling nothing until I realized how sad I was for R2 lol. I mean, he went into "low power mode" when Luke went away so what becomes of him now? In story terms I guess he would go into low power forever? I guess 3P0 will always be useful to the resistance though, translators I am sure are still needed. But I agree with you that no one has that affectionate, grateful relationship with him. Chewie is different, I guess he could always take off and find Lando if he really wanted. Maybe that's my wish, Chewie takes R2 and 3P0 and they all retire to Cloud City : )

Jamtia, jaqen and Darkslayer like this.
  3. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    Well R2 has to survive to tell the tale of the Skywalker's down the road. It wouldn't surprise me if Chewy sacrifices himself and dies in Ep 9.

4. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    R2 has been around since before Luke’s father was even born. I’m sure Luke’s loss really hurt him, but given time, I think he’ll be able to move on.

Same with Chewie. Wookies live much longer than humans; no doubt Chewie has outlived many of his friends. That doesn’t make it hurt less, but he’ll make new relationships in time. Plus, he still has a wife and kid.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Rian had JJ change TFA to send R2 to the island, rather than BB8 (so the scene on the Falcon with the hologram could occur). I'm really glad he did.

I really don't seen the concern. The droids are now interacting with their third generation of heroes.
    Even with Leia out of commission, 3PO was doing his thing on the Raddus during the mutiny. R2 has never had trouble being of service and Chewie has a connection with Rey.

6. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I do see a point in this thread. The thing is, 3PO was largely a cameo character in the prequels. George did not know what to do with him. And the time he appeared the most, was a rather pathetic moment in AOTC with the whole "mix parts of 3PO with droid ones". Chewie did shine in TFA IMO, but he barel have a few moments in TLJ. R2 is the most damnified sidekick in the ST. It at least had a moment in TFA with the whole map to Skywalker thing, but in TLJ its role is basically showing Luke Leia's message.

Having the droids die would feel a beat cheap since their use is minimal. Chewie, however, might see a more dramatic good bye, maybe dying at the hands of Kylo when he is trying to save Rey from him.

But, to be honest, I think Lucasfilm will keep them in the freezer just in case, with 3PO and R2 relegated to a perpetual cameo in the films to come, and Chewie either becoming Rey's official copilot in the Falcon or returning home with his family.

jaqen likes this.
  7. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I don't really understand the reason the droids haven't been utilized more in the new films. As far as best dynamic based on the new cast, I think the droids line up best with:

3PO with Poe - Poe is an improvising Hotshot. 3PO is a by-the-book know-it-all. Plus they both share a connection to Leia.
    R2 with Rey - If Rey is supposed to be our main hero in this trilogy, then she should be with R2. Plus her connection with Luke.
    BB8 with Finn - Finn and BB8 actually already have a bit of a relationship in the Force Awakens. They teamed up again in The Last Jedi, but I didn't think there was much development there unfortunately. Either way, BB8 seems to work best with Finn.

With the direction they are going in, I am not really sure what place Chewie will have going forward. I don't want him to just become the chauffeur for the Falcon. They could do something very interesting with him potentially if they actually redeem Kylo. So if that plays out i'd say "Chewie with Kylo." If not, then perhaps he will just retire with his family back on Kashyyyk.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Darkslayer likes this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Threepio hasn't been effectively used since 1983. It speaks volumes that TLJ offered the best Threepio appearance in 34 years. And that's sad.

R2 was well used in the PT. He's been woefully under utilized in the ST. BB8 has completely replaced him.

TFA was great for Chewie because it was great for Han, and Chewie was his main squeeze. That's over.

At this point, painful as it is to type this, I'd take Chewbecca and the Falcon going down in a blaze of glory in IX.

With R2 and 3P0 on board.

Avnar likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The only one i see going anywhere is Chewie

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I've been a bit sad that R2 has been pushed aside by that volleyball.
    In TLJ he had his one nostalgic moment with Luke, but he seems to be in semi-retirement.

R2 is my guy. Others may associate with Luke or Han, but it was R2-D2's story for the first 20 minutes.

Anyway, enough deaths. Please.
    No matter what is in Episode 9, no matter how great it is in other respects, if they kill R2, that's what I will walk out thinking about.

R.D., dan1210, Ridley Solo and 2 others like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really only think Leia will die off screen and thats it.

12. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Chewie seems to have adopted Rey. And Rey has bonded with R2 because of Luke.

Poe will keep Threepio because of his dedication and service to Leia. But he will have some of han'd impatience with him.

Seeing him tell Theeepio to shut up was brilliance

13. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Honestly, I think that now that TLJ is done with so JJ can play more with his favorite series (his words in regard to preferring Star Wars over Star Trek when he was asked to film ST 11) I think he's going to pass R2 onto Rey (as he's got a new actor for him) and Rey will fix him up, and either he's going to be the go between of Finn and Rey as BB8 is the go between for Rey and Poe. Threepio will probably be used by Connix and Poe. As for Chewie, he's going to stick with Rey for now because he'd probably want to protect the girl that Han respected and who brought the Falcon back to him.

I don't see any of them going Any where any time soon.

Ridley Solo and Ben-Solo like this.
  14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Did she? Rey didn't even bond with Luke, so I don't see any special relationship that happened with R2 because of him.

15. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Seeing as how we saw all three of them in the prequel trilogy without Luke, Luka and Leia, I'd say they'll be fine

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  16. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Well he was on the falcon helping her track Leia and he resistance. And she was talking to him so to me I got the sense they worked together and realized what they needed to do in terms of tracking and fighting with the resistance

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The droids, back in the 70's were one of the things that made Star Wars such a huge hit. Nothing of their kind had been realised in such a way before. The GFFA was new and exciting but also slightly familiar and the droid's character helped welcome us in. Nowadays they are familiar and something of a burden for film makers to utilise effectively.

jaqen likes this.
  18. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    The droids I feel like haven’t been utilized well since the OT. R2, wasn’t bad in the PT at all, but 3P0 has been nothing but gags and jokes for the audience. When is the last time he actually translated for someone? Jabba? I feel like there was more potential with him in the PT translating Battle droids, but they talked English to.

I could see R2 doing a complete turnaround seeing him help on the falcon was a good start, but it’s hard with BB8 taking all of the glory.

Chewie is a tough call. Loved him in TFA, but can see him just being a driver for the falcon. That maybe his only true love outside of Maz.

I would love to have 3P0 to have some kind of relevance in 9 but I just don’t see it. But as long as there is a resistance, these characters will be around.

After this trilogy if they do another one with the ST mains, I guess you could kill them off as much as it sucks to say.

jaqen likes this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This is a great topic... It's been on my mind since TFA.

R2D2 should have been with Luke on the island to begin with... Luke should have shut him down for good in a very touching scene.
    Chewy should have died just after Klyo killed Han - blowing the place to pieces when he set offf the bombs.
    C3PO should have been blown to pieces when Leia (who should have died then and there) gets thrown out into space.

:(

I know that sounds bad - But it will be quite sad to watch them shoe horned into scenes to keep them relevant and slowly become of no use to this new generation!

jaqen likes this.
  20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Then there's my Sequel-Sequel Trilogy fanfiction.

The Droid Revolution.
    Threepio is infected with an IG-88 virus, and turns into a violent revolutionary leader out to free the droids.b All over the Galaxy droids attack their masters with their industrial equipment and household utensils.

jaqen and Mostly Handless like this.
  21. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I believe they've gotten younger actors for R2 and Chewie in the new films. Hopefully that means those two will be around for a while yet.:)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  22. Dragon Jedi

Dragon Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2018
    Not sure about the droids but I see something good with Chewie.

1) Rey is the only ony one who's able to understand him. That alone is big.
    2) Kylo Ren might be able too (no idea if he can)
    3) Anyone noticed that Chewie did not kill Kylo when he murdered Han? Chewie is a good shot, he had him right in the front, he could have aimed at his heart. He didn't. Maybe I read too much into this but I think Chewie was fond of him, or honoured him as Han's son at the very least.

His future is set, I'd say.

Tabbie likes this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    My concern is that neither the writers of TFA nor TLJ have made much effort in attaching them to the newer characters.

George Lucas did exactly the opposite with the PT. He totally under/mis-utlized Threepio, but he revealed that he was literally the creation of the Saga's overarching protagonist. Threepio was connected to Anakin, Padme and R2. He had a decent amount of screentime in TPM and AOTC too.

R2 was set up to be a hero from his very first appearance in TPM. He was a shining star in the PT.

R2 has fared worse in the ST than even 3P0. I wouldn't even be worried about 3P0 if Carrie didn't pass; as long as Leia was around, he probably would've had a his funny, moments. I will give RJ credit for handling Threepio the best I feel he's been handled since the OT. And again, that's not saying much.

R2? In a post-BB8 world, what's his point? His intimate relationships are with Chewie and 3P0, and that's not a very stable place for him to be.

That's not my definition of "bonding". Is there a single Rey/R2 scene of note? Something that shows an actual relationship?

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Chewie definitely tried to kill Kylo. TFA, more than any other SW film, really established how absurdly powerful his bowcaster is. Even Han seemed shocked. That shot would've killed most men.

dan1210 and Avnar like this.
  25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I definitely do not see R2 and C3P0 meeting a sad fate. they already feel like characters being sided to lesser roles already so i think thats gonna be their fate if anything.

They will be destined to outlive everyone.

Chewie might end up just being sided also