main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Well, the characters didn't have a lot of screen time together in the first place. Really, their only scene together was when they reunited on Crait (they're in the same room as they escape on the Falcon, but aren't interacting) and I think that scene worked better without words. Pretty much everything we needed to know was shown through the acting. Words wouldn't've added anything and gummed up the mood.

It's admittedly not a lot, esp. since their interactions were so central to the previous film, but I do think that TLJ did confirm how important they are to each other; we're shown that they miss each other when going about their own adventures and when they do reunite they look the happiest and most at peace that they've been since the film began (it also seems to be used in a meta sense as the catharsis for the audience after the emotional roller coaster that was the TLJ).

2. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    I think that fact aswell as the reunion hug are actually really big indicators of how deep and relevant they're relationship is in the ST. The "if you see Finn..." moment is also worth considering.

My issue was that I was so desperate to see those two together again because I was so bored ; which may have not been what RJ was going for....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

3. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Oh, I agree : TLJ managed to do a lot regarding these two with almost nothing in terms of screen time and wow, this hug was both necessary and awesome. It's just that TFA has some problems but its greatest quality (to me and many people I guess) is precisely the energy produced by Finn & Rey.

I understand the need to put them on separate tracks to make the characters grow, but even in ESB, or ROTJ, or AOTC that follow a similar pattern, the protagonists share at least a bit of the action and screentime. Here it's essentially zero. In the end I acknowledge TLJ as being a good movie, maybe better than TFA, but I have much less sympathy for TLJ.

4. SomeLoser

SomeLoser Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2018
    Anyone else find it rather strange that people are so quick to accept Rey and Kylo (the main antagonist), and Rey and Poe (someone she just met) over Rey and Finn, even though they spent an entire movie together, had good chemistry, and Finn was clearly into her? Why is that just friends? In fact, why is Finn and Poe, which honestly did seem strictly platonic on both halves, more believable than Finn and Rey to so many people? I ain't saying nothin, but it' just peculiar to me.

5. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    I agree was thinking the same

6. Eeyore freak

Eeyore freak Jedi Knight star 2

May 19, 2016
    Yeah honestly, the cynical part of me wonders if the actor of Finn looked like this guy:

[​IMG]

And he and Rey looked at each other like this:

[​IMG]

Or shared a hug like this one:

[​IMG]

Would people still be saying “they just seemed more like brother and sister or bffs to me”? I find that unlikely.

Not that anyone who doesn’t ship the two of them is secretly racist or anything, but Hollywood does have a history of desexualizing black men, and I can’t help but feel like that may be playing a part in people’s perceptions.

7. SomeLoser

Jan 11, 2018
    Yeah, I don't think most of them are racist, they just can't comprehend a black dude with the white lead.

Eeyore freak and nagajuna like this.
  8. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I think that's kind of racist then. Even if they don't want to admit it. The double standard and hypocrisy has always been there since the TFA days unfortunately. With this nonsense with Rose it's even more evident. They can't admit that the Finn and Rose dynamic was rushed, boring, and the romantic side with Rose was unnecessary. And we know exactly why they suddenly think that it's sooo cute and well-written and is TOTALLY bound to become canon. We know exactly why that is, unfortunately.

9. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    Brother and Sister don't gaze at one another like that and then say: “So I ran right into you and you looked at me like no one ever had.

10. SomeLoser

Jan 11, 2018
    Actually, yeah, guess you're right. The whole ReyPoe thing honestly annoyed me the most out of all of them, at least with Reylo, you know at least Ben has a thing for Rey, but with ReyPoe, they literally just introduced themselves because the filmmaker realized they hadn't met and that's about it. Now they're more believable than FinnRey? Honestly, the only reason I personally would think ReyPoe is more likely is because the filmmakers seem to have chickened out of the implied romance in the end.

Ren Kylo, nagajuna and AhsokaSolo like this.
  11. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Well two movies in and FinnRey remains the only believable potential romance in this trilogy to me. That’s based on both story and chemistry. And, for a plethora of reasons including those being alluded to in here, I would probably keel over in shock if they actually became a real romance in IX.

12. SomeLoser

Jan 11, 2018
    Seriously, it's a shame too, the most believable and honestly cutest romance in the trilogy, with the best chemistry, and it likely won't be a thing because "reasons".

13. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    To be totally honest, I don't think that the characters' relationship has been clearly defined as of yet. I think it can be safely said that they love each other and are the most important person in each other's lives. What that will be exactly defined as (lovers, surrogate siblings, whatever Han and Chewie were to each other, etc.) when all is said and done doesn't really change those two facts, which are what I think is what's important.

nagajuna likes this.
  14. GauntGrandMoff

Dec 29, 2016
    I mean it's called "Finns confession" so I think it's fair to say that atleast on Finns end the love felt is romantic.

nagajuna likes this.
  15. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    The interesting thing though is that even if you wanted to define their relationship, it's difficult. To me it's way beyond friendship or siblings-like relation, they have an intimacy of lovers without being lovers. It's kind of unique : I can't easily think of any equivalent in fiction. And don't get me started on the friendzone.

Ren Kylo, nagajuna and AhsokaSolo like this.
  16. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe. On the other hand, the scene in question was him admitting that he'd been lying to her about his past, so I think that was what the "confession" part was referring to. Granted, the scene really did echo Han and Leia in the corridor on Hoth and if they do go the love story route (in the movies, tie-ins, or otherwise), I'm sure this scene will be an important milestone, given that it set up that they were attached to each other beyond just friendly traveling buddies for one mission.

Yep, I think that sums it up pretty well.

17. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    You're right, it IS racism. From Tumblr alone, there's a pretty strong overlap, post-movie, between Reylo shippers and Finnrose shippers, with plenty of Reylo shippers turning around and screaming "why do you hate diversity?! You're racist if you don't ship Finnrose!!" They only care because it keeps Finn away from their precious ship. I honestly wonder if Rose was put into this movie because she freed up Finn from Johnson's Reylo inclinations, especially considering how the rest of the movie went.

And I'm like...no, no, stay away! You do not get to touch Rose, and you especially do not get to touch Finn, considering how many Reylo shippers harassed Daisy when she posted a cute picture of her and John on his birthday, or when Finn was demonized for grabbing Rey's hand when they were running from the First Order, because it "took away her agency and she didn't consent" or some such nonsense. And thats's just the tip of the iceburg of racism thrown at Finn and this ship. It's vicious and nasty on a level I've never seen before. Honestly, I pray Finnrey will become canon just to watch the racists melt like the witches they are.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I think the official origin story for Rose was to give Finn a more unique character to go with him than Poe on the Canto Bight mission. While some people see the movie as supporting the Rey/Kylo thing, I honestly found it to ultimately sink it like a rock, esp. the bit about the Falcon door.

I have seen a lot of toxicity toward the characters in general (esp. the Rose character as of late) online. I think there's a reason that Star Wars fans have such a bad rap.

(As far as the topic goes, I think I'm really weird or something; I do not want a Rey/Kylo Ren love story under any circumstances and want to see Rey and Finn getting together. However, I wouldn't oppose Finn and Rose getting together if handled well.)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. GauntGrandMoff

Dec 29, 2016
    Yeah I guess I'm just assuming the title of the score was meant to have a double meaning behind it. I think Reys theme might have been woven into part of the track but I'm not 100%.

The general vibe definitely gave me the impression that it was a confession of love though...

RandomGreyJ and AhsokaSolo like this.
  20. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    This can never be posted enough.

21. Miriedis

May 23, 2015
    I personally would've been fine with any of the ships in the film, besides Reylo, if they were handled well. I just mention Finnrey the most because I love it the most, especially since they were the heart of TFA, romantic or not. If Finnrose was handled well (and it's not; she tazes him and talks down to him the entire film), then I would ship it. I still like Rose, feel awful for poor Kelly because she doesn't deserve an ounce of hate for TLJ and deserved a better storyline, and have hopes that her character will be better handled in the next film. But it seems that a lot of Reylo shippers hide behind Stormpilot or Finnrose just to A) keep Rey away from anyone isn't Kylo and B) deflect from accusations of the deep, pervasive racism that seems to permeate all levels of the ship. The receipts I have of such racism are long, detailed, and vile, so again, any ship that isn't Reylo (mostly Finnrey, because again, I love it the most and it gets the most undue hate) will make me happy.

22. Miriedis

May 23, 2015
    John Boyega retweeted it with lots of laugh-crying emojis! (I don't know how to embed tweets, but bless him)

Ren Kylo, cut-of-space and AhsokaSolo like this.
  23. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I haven't heard one way or another if that was the intent, but it would make sense.

I have the soundtrack and if my memory serves, you're correct. I don't know if that's just because Rey was in the scene (meaning it was for her benefit, so to speak), or it was supposed to communicate something about Finn, but it was in there.

I think it was. Whether it's love in a romantic or platonic sense (or a mix of both) is the question.

Okay, I don't care what ship you're captaining, that is funny! (I agree with the point it's making, but I'd still find it funny regardless of where I stood on the issue.)

24. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I view Rey and Finn as a found family. They're technically friends, but I view them as seeing themselves as brother and sister but they likely have no idea how to communicate that because family and unconditional love are something they've never experienced. I don't think Star Wars will do the more dramatic version where characters go "we're like blood", but if you've encountered that trope elsewhere, I sense that vibe. They're not family but "they're like blood."

For "maybe people would ship Finn/Rey if Finn were a white man" -- As someone who's a diehard Finn/Poe shipper and tried hard to see the appeal of Finn/Rey but can't see anything but them being best friends/found family, I don't think Finn's looks necessarily have anything to do with people not shipping Finn/Rey. Of course there will always be bad seeds, but sometimes you just don't ship it and that's how deep the conundrum goes.

One thing that made me not ship Finn/Rey is that I viewed Finn's worries for Rey in TFA (such as when she was kidnapped) as partially guilt and hatred for himself because as a trooper he participated in violence against innocent people and is desperate to find any way to run away. But in a way, to Finn's POV, running away helped lead Rey to Kylo Ren. Had she never been seen with him on Jakku, she wouldn't have been hunted down by the FO, if he hadn't given her that ultimatum, perhaps she wouldn't have run into the forest. Part of his concerns for Rey is linked to guilt and self-hatred. TLJ helped Finn grow out of this mentality by giving him more reasons to fight the FO than just saving Rey, and he also stopped hating himself so much and realized that he truly can do good in the world. He doesn't have to run away from his past as a trooper where he participated in violence but embrace the glorious future in front of him where he can stop the FO because it really is the right thing to do. He told this to Poe, but I don't think he really, truly believed this until he saw evil in the galaxy not caused by FO, such as the arms dealers, fathiers and slave children, and had someone so unapologetic like Rose telling him what's on her mind unfiltered. And he realizes that he doesn't have to fight the FO to free Rey, someone who was thrown into this chaos because of him. He doesn't have to do it for anyone but himself.

All of that growth happened without Rey. There's nothing bad about their friendship and I'm excited to see them properly reunited, but there are problematic aspects to how Finn regards his friendship with Rey and that's one reason why I don't ship it.

haha, same here! Even though I just wrote a long screed about why I don't ship it, after TLJ I'm at the point where anything but Reylo is just dandy with me. [face_laugh]

25. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay.

I'm honestly not that much into the shipping game (a lot of it seems to revolve around alternative scenarios that don't fit the story; I don't think like that), so I don't really care that much what factions people belong to (esp. since it's not going to affect what the filmmakers do, anyways), even if there are a few fictional couples I do like being together. Just play nice with each other. As far as racist fans go, they're in the mix, it's a sad fact of life, and I think ignoring them is the best way to go (I've gotten into arguments with bigoted and/or entitled fans online about other stuff; nothing good comes from engaging with them and pointing out their illogic).

Okay.

I honestly never saw the character's relationship being built on guilt like that (I thought the bar scene where she tries to stop him from leaving a la Leia in ESB and their reunion on Starkiller Base indicated that they'd become personally attached irregardless of other factors). However, it does go to show how where you come from affects your opinions. I got onboard with the idea of them being a couple after reading the various novelizations, which really argued the case that that was what was going on. Had I not read them, I may not've picked a side. (For what it's worth, the tie-ins do establish what was going in the characters heads, and Finn's motivations regarding Rey were not guilt for getting her involved.*)

*When they think that the First Order (actually Han and Chewie) have got them, Finn does feel guilt for getting Rey involved, but that's for that specific circumstance.