main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least favorite film of the Saga and Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 14, 2017.

?

What is your least favorite film of the Saga?

1. The Phantom Menace

47 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Attack of the Clones

66 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. A New Hope

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Return of the Jedi

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. The Force Awakens

61 vote(s)
    20.3%
  8. The Last Jedi

105 vote(s)
    34.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Technically Rogue One is not a “Saga” film per se. we could consider starting a new thread if there is enough interest to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wobbits and heels1785 like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^ if we did that, i'd be intrigued to see how many accounts that were created last thursday would add to the disney totals

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  4. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I would be very afraid of that number.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I'm not sure to get it...

Subtext Mining likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Nothing to see here.

{Quantum/MIDI} and heels1785 like this.
  7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Used to be TFA, now TLJ took its place. I assume IX will be next.
    The rehashing of the old movies and a nonsensical plot/behavior killed it for me.

8. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    As of today we have a tie between TPM and TLJ in the pole position (21 votes) and AotC and TFA in the second place (18 votes).

[face_thinking]

9. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    >>>>>>>>> I love all 7 star wars movies, except TLJ. First time I watched a SW movie and it was literally BAD in my eyes. TLJ shoulda been an anthology film bc it does not belong in the saga at all.

Excluding TLJ my least fave is TESB.

I'll probz get a lot of flack for saying that, but I don't hate it at all i genuinely love it as i do all 7 films, but it's like the one i love the least. I think it's because I really didnt like Yoda in it at all. Ok scratch that I seriously hated him, I couldn't stand his voice and his persona really struck a nerve and hearing him talk each time was like hearing nails on a chalkboard. I haateed dagobah too the whole murky marshy swamp thing made me so eugh. Other than Yoda and Dagobah i thought it was a great movie. (Landos betrayal was a great twist and one of my fave moments, Rian take notes on twists that move the story forward in the right direction but also make the audience shocked if ya wanna copy elements of OT)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The more I read these comments, the more I am convinced that significant variance in opinion in Star Wars films is based on the generation you were born in. Thats neither a good or a bad thing necessarily.

RayO1, TripleZero and Sarge like this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    TPM

Is my favorite.

Oh sh** my B, wrong thread.

In that case, AOTC is pretty solid.

12. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    TLJ. I just still can't get over how bad it was. It's just a complete blatant slap in the face to the fans. It didn't give us one single satisfying answer and it messed up with the lore. I seriously prefer Jar Jar. At least my kids can laugh at him.

13. BeeBeeNine

BeeBeeNine Jedi Padawan

Jan 30, 2016
    TPM. It's as dull as dishwater.

Krueger and Darth_Articulate like this.
  14. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I have not gone to The Last Jedi but am planning on getting it on DVD so setting that aside the Star Wars movie that interested me the least was Attack of the Clones. Once that fell flat the rest of trilogy was poor.

15. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Easily The Last Jedi for me. I think the over-reliance of humor (almost all of which I think is awful) is such a questionable decision. Starting the movie off with Poe making a "Your mom" joke really sets the tone for this movie.
    Second, I find it astounding that a movie can have so much going on, along with plenty of major character deaths, yet it feel like so little happens as well. I think this is deeply rooted in characters not really evolving throughout the duration of the film. Rey suffers from this the worst. I actually rather liked her in TFA, but it's astounding how little she in particular she evolves, or even faces any real ostacles at all. Look at Luke in ESB: you see him as optimistic on Hoth, frustrated and doubting himself while training on Dagobah, His failure in the cave, conflict on saving his friends because of potential devastating repercussions. Even in AotC, despite being The Chosen One, Anakin has his fair share of conflict. His love for Padme goes against the Jedi code, he compromises his duty to protect her, because his recurring visions of his mother haunts her, and his pain and rage upon Shmi's death. Rey has no real internal conflict, and Daisy Ridley certainly has the acting ability to lead this trilogy, but is squandered.
    The one that really irks me is the irreversible damage to Luke Skywalker's character. I can accept him becoming a hermit, and his weariness of the Jedi at large. I cannot believe that the fall of Ben Solo came down to Luke having a knee-jerk reaction to end Ben's life because of darkness within him. This is the same man whor risked everything because he saw that there was good in his father, despite being deemed the embodiment of evil. I find it hard to believe that someone with such unprecedented forgiveness and optimism would reach the point of contemplating on killing his nephew under an circumstances.
    Even if I could accept that, Luke Skywalker of all people is not just going to sit around (much less drink highly suspect milk directly from a creature) upon finding out Han Solo, his best friend for decades was killed by his son, and that Leia is despaerate for his help against the First Order. If anything, he'd want to make amends for a situation that he feels that he started. He could either be a Ben-Kenobi type of Master, or a broken man with a darker more cynical edge, but it is unfathomable that he'd just be some sort of coward hiding away from the galaxy.
    There's so much about TLJ that feels fundamentally wrong to me, but I don't think anyone on the forums (myself included) want to see this post turn out to be a dissertation of sorts.

16. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    TPM - A wasted opportunity. The story just lacks any tension. The script needed a complete rewrite. There's a good story trying to emerge, but it's poorly executed.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  17. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I’m going to with the Last Jedi.

I honestly don’t think it’s a bad movie, and in many areas, it’s a better executed movie than AOTC and TPM,

But I don’t think TLJ is as much of a Star Wars movie as I find to be a pretty on the nose Rian Johnson’s Thesis on Star Wars. The movie feels to me more interested in subverting expectations and ostentatious meta-commentary then telling an organic story that naturally evolves from the previous movies and complements all the saga movies that came before. And that just takes me out of the story. When characters’ dialogue mimic almost word-for-word fan discussions, and every other moment of worldbuilding, drama and character relationships is scripted like an intentional gag, I don’t feel like I’m watching a story set in a galaxy far far away, I feel like I watching an online fan Manifesto on what Star Wars should be like, full of memes and self-aware humor. The movie's incessant obsession with subversion expectations - to the point of creating new plot lines just for the sole purpose of subverting expectations - only makes me feel like I'm being trolled.

Aside of that, Rian deliberately destroys part of the mythos and journeys that were uniquely part of the Skywalker saga just to tell his vision. Which is fine, except that I don’t find his vision all that interesting or unique; it’s also the antithesis of Lucas’ vision (to be fair, this separation started with TFA, but TLJ doubles down on it), which is why this movie should have been the first chapter of a new Disney saga separated from Lucas. As It is, TLJ feels weirdly shoehorned into a saga it doesn’t belong.

18. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    This.

I know it's subjective, but I just can't stand how the character of Luke was written throughout TLJ. I'd rather see a purposefully comedic character like Jar Jar step in poop and get farted on than see what was once such an earnest protagonist (in the OT at least) toss his lightsaber and sloppily drink milk while staring down Rey. And worst of all, he decided to kill his nephew while he was sleeping, even if only for a fraction of a second.

19. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    It's definitely "The Force Awakens".

I went out from the theatre with a feeling of "what the *beeeeep* just happened"? I can live with weird stories and Jar-Jar didn't bother me the least in TPM, but TFA really bothered me.

There are several reasons, the most important being the lack of a story on it's own. To me it appeared as an attempt of remaking ANH with less storyline and with some characters that came right out of thin air.

• How many heroes to be can they find in a desert -hello, we've seen it twice before?
    • How many "bigger and badder" death stars do they want to make?
    • Where is that scary villain? Kylo Ren was...just there, dressed in black as a Vader wannabe but without any real personality and not the least frightening. Darth Vader had style, Kylo Ren was just childish.
    • And where's the red thread? In the prequels we could follow Anakin's development towards Vader. It made sense with respect to the storytelling. I realize that the consept is worse to create in a sequel since you have to develop the story forward in time, but there should be some link from the past to the present also there. If episodes I through VI were "the saga of the chosen one", where does that leave episodes VII to IX? I haven't found the plot yet, far less the saga references in it.

20. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    For me, TFA. It just feels like a reboot. I don't the hate the film, but I like it the least out of all the movies.

21. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Since, to me, there are only six Saga films, my answer would still be Return of the Jedi. A handful of tremendously effective scenes (the Sarlaac battle, the Speeder Bike chase, the Throne Room passages, the funeral pyre) can't quite counter the banal proceedings, weak Fisher/Ford performances and Marquand's limp direction. It's the one Saga film that verges on the routine.

Let it be said, though, that my estimation of ROTJ has risen in the wake of the narrative clusterfracks that are TFA and TLJ. The series deserved a more proficient ending, but at least it nails what it needed to: Luke Amidala Skywalker reclaims his father and sanctifies his mother, destroys Palpatine and the Sith, and brings Balance to the Force. AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER. THE END.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with TPM. I mean, saying it's my "least favorite" is like picking a least favorite kid-of course I love them all, but there are always...favorites....RIGHT?? [face_whistling] Parents am I RIGHT?!?!?! ;)It's okay to say it out loud!!! We're all friends here!!! :p :D

Anywhoo, IMO it's just simply the one that has the least amount of compelling and/or exciting material in it. Really the podrace and the lightsaber duel. That's about it for me. I've always said: As a stage setter for a saga, IMO it serves very well, taken with the whole. But as a film in its own right, definitely some issues.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  23. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Attack of the Clones. Just a complete mess from top to bottom.

The dialogue and performances are horribly wooden. The “romance” is one of the most poorly written I’ve ever seen. Anakin and Padme seem to have no reason to like each other beyond physical attractiveness, and the entire thing is set at a freaking vacation resort like a bad romance novel. It undermines the series as a whole, since Anakin’s love for Padme is supposedly what sends him to the dark side, but that love just isn’t believable.

The humor is pure cringe, I don’t think that there’s a single gag in the movie that got me to laugh. Even the action scenes feel stale by-the-numbers. So the entertainment value is lacking.

And the story and characters- so underdeveloped. The Seperatist Crisis is poorly explained despite being important, we’re given no reason to root against the Seperatists, we’re just told they’re evil. Characters do things that make no sense. And there’s no development at all- it feels like all the characters are the same people at the end that they were at the beginning.

I can at least enjoy all the other films, but all I see in AOTC is a bundle of botched ideas.

Samuel Vimes and Sarge like this.
  24. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    Of all the 3rd grade level arguments against TLJ, this is the worst.
    • If Leia was flying through air, i would agree, but she isnt, she's flying, IN SPACE. There is no air resistance in space, all she needs is to use the force to pull herself to the ship, and she has all the momentum she needs to get back to it.
    • All i can conclude from this is that the guy who made this hates women in positions of power.
    • It's a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, where did you expect them to get their milk from.
    • A scene with that was soposed to be funny has let him to belive that Chewbacca turned full vegan, and apparently this makes the movie bad
    I don't have time to adress all of them. STOP HATING ON TLJ

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Frank T. likes this.
  25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Empire Strikes Back for me.

NOT because I dislike it, or because it's a bad movie (technically it's great, hits all the right buttons) I just don't personally care for most of it outside the Dagobah scenes. The Luke and Vader stuff is good to watch too but the rest of it...not my cup of tea.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.