main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #14-19: Remastered (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedha John, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Outsourced. Srsly. My beef is not with you.:rolleyes:

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I understand that. That wasn't my point. But it doesn't really matter in the long run anyway, so whatever.

3. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Nice to see the Wook page updated. I agree that Aphra's picture needs to be upgraded as there is a ton of art that would do her justice as her leading image on the Wook page. I nominate the "smoking gun" pic from issue 13, the conclusion of the arc "Doctor Aphra and the Enormous Profit". Love that art.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I do not see how the comment made before was sexist... it is literally just the users opinion on a character?

But yeah, for the new canon I do not know if this is my favourite series, or if it is one of the two Vader series. I love them all so much, and while there have been some issues I have had (and currently have) with certain series, I think this one is fantastic! I hope it stays around a lot longer, and I hope Aphra can end up winning at the end.

I have noticed a lot of the main characters in non-movie media are killed off, I presume either to not have to worry about loose ends or not to have anything possibly contradict what the movies bring to the table. I really hope that Aphra can survive her series, survive Vader, take down the murder bots and have a good ending that does not result in her death. Just something I have been thinking about for a while.

5. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    how is anything I said sexist, it's just blatant facts.

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    suggesting that a buff woman is physically impossible is sexist, yes.

7. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    I never said a buff woman is impossible, what I should have said is that a 6'10 hulk that can crush cinder blocks with her fists and lift what i can only assume is 200 pound boxes with one arm is physically impossible.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    So is shooting lightning out of your hands. Who cares?

9. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    Star Wars has always made people at least look pretty realistic, and not super uber buff or whatever. I have no problem with women being strong at all, but I think making them uber buff in a frail attempt to say "women can be buff too!" is childish and undermines great female characters like Princess Leia heres a quote from george about leia.

revan772 likes this.
  10. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    I think the only way I would let this just kinda slide would be if she was another species or she was genetically modified, or anything along those lines.

Because for me atleast, nothing is put in front of the story, to have a story that makes sense it must be this way, or else you have people asking questions.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  11. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    I think having to make a female character look like a guy to attempt "equality, or diversity" should be a disrespect to women, just saying oh make her super buff, or oh lets put her in a guys uniform to say shes a girl, No you should make a great character by playing off of uniqueness and strengths and weaknesses. Believe it or not men and women are different, and throwing a girl into a guys costume to "make a statement" is pointless and dumb, Girls should be proud of who they are, not relying on just looking like guys.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    So if she had been a talking green rabbit or a cyborg it would be fine? But a tall woman who can pick up heavy things on a different planet(with different gravity) in a fictional galaxy in a comic book is unbelievable?

Do you see the double standard? If the comic had shown a tall man picking up heavy things you would not be suggesting that he be a cyborg or alien.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Daneira and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    sigh... I guess you didn't read anything I posted, and no thats not true at all, if there was for some random reason zangief himself just standing there in star wars I would have a problem with that aswell.

14. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Where did this argument even come from? Anyone can tell from the artwork alone that Aphra isn’t shredded like the Hulk. So what’s the relevance?

15. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    It was the cyborg that had 0-0-0 on her head.

I really hope they make some of these characters more important, give them back stories, and not kill them. I like the prince guy, and I bet he returns as an antagonist, only to be killed almost immediately. I liked the Skakoan (not sure how to spell that) but hope the long neck creature and a few others survive and be friends with Aphra. :)

16. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I liked the Alderaanian "prince" too, he had the feel of a character out of the original Marvel SW run from the OT days. The rest of the crew are a nice mashup of tropes and species across the saga.

I've only recently actually read any of the comics after sort of keeping tabs on them via synopses since Marvel took over. For sure Aphra is my favorite. That may be because it's too much to think that some of the so-so stories in the other books are the set-in-stone canon storyline for their respective eras now, and the photonovel art in the other books is really distancing. But I think I would like the Aphra series best on it own merits alone either way.

17. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    When do the next set of solicitations come out?

18. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    How did this thread devolve into discussing women with muscles??

Usually around this time of the month, isn't it? I think the March solicits were announced on December 19th. I figured this month's may be light, if there are Solo solicits that they have to hide.

Also: the comment about the Alderaanian "prince" being a Marvel Star Wars character: YES! That is perfect.

19. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I would expect it on January 23rd. It is always on a Tuesday, and the pattern seems to be the second-last Tuesday of each month.

20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I recently came back to it and like it, Aphra up to her old tricks is a fun read and I like the art better than Star Wars has now.

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Doctor Aphra #17 teaser.
    [​IMG]

22. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I can't wait for this.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How many trades of the Aphra comic are out?

24. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    2, one of which is just Screaming Citadel. The actually second arc should be coming out in TPB near the end of February.

25. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Here is Luke on the Galactic Icons variant cover of Doctor Aphra #17:

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.