main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks, I was just being impatient and not waiting long enough.

2. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I know the feeling, I get the same way waiting for a new ICS every few years ;)

[​IMG]

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Jason, I forgot to ask you this during the interview, but do you think that the CEC Free Virgillia-class Bunkerbuster corvette was a New Republic design or a design specifically ordered by Virgillia for their home defense fleet?

My gut says that the hull itself is something CEC was already building for the NRDF, but that this specific vessel was something equipped based to a specific Virgillian order. Thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

5. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Sounds about right headcanon-wise. I'd imagine a lot of customizations for home fleets were pretty close to stock models.*

* = not canon

TheRedBlade and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Thanks Jason! One other thing - how do you go about deciding numbers of weapons/types when you are writing these guides? I imagine some are easier because of visible emplacements (like the Ninka), but how do you take a large ship like the Raddus and decide how it is armed?

--Adm. Nick

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, Jason, I found a really random mention of you on Wikipedia, and by proxy learned that you wrote for the WSJ. Pretty cool!

Side note- Magic School Bus was the ****.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Magic School Bus is so educational that you even learned something on a Wikipedia entry about the Magic School Bus.

9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Loved that show as a kid.

10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    That thing is so weird. I wrote hundreds of tech columns, with that one not being a particularly good or notable example, and somehow it's what gets on Wikipedia about me. The world is an odd place.

(Yep, worked for the Journal's online arm for nearly 13 years and loved it.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    404 not found. Anybody have a good link? Sounds like an interesting article...

12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Link is working just fine for me.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Got it now, thank you.

jSarek likes this.
  14. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015

Jason and Rian talks about TLJ novel, with a scene of a deleted scene, starts at 3:18

15. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    What a delight to see the Tammuz-an mention on the A-Wing page! Thank you Jason for helping to keep the memory of Droids alive!

16. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    TLJ novelization might go up their as being worthwhile along with the ROTS one :)

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I cannot wait to see what you have written for the Last Jedi novel.

Sinrebirth and jasonfry like this.
  18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    You're welcome -- but IIRC Mike Kogge did the heavy lifting there, calling out the connection for his IncrediBuilds A-wing book....

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  19. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Why does the cover say "extended edition" on the top?

KerkKorpil likes this.
  20. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    According to Del Rey Twitter, in reference to the additional content that's been added to the novelization. All versions will be labeled as "expanded".

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=https://mobile.twitter.com/i/nojs_router?path=/">

21. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Correct! And just a little clarification in case it comes up: By Monday you should see that listings for the book everywhere will be updated with the adjusted cover, and some new book copy. All editions, all formats are "expanded". There's no non-expanded edition. As always, content-locking (aside from the occasional photo insert) is not really something we get jazzed about considering or doing.

22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Thanks for the clarification.

In all honestly, I do feel that the label is very misleading if it just supposed to point out that the book version has more material than the film (which we were all expecting in the first place, by nature of what novelizations are) and I found it utterly confusing, since "extended edition" label inherently implies that there was an "unextended edition" of the book out there (at least that's what I thought and was utterly confused when I couldn't info about it online). However, I do like the dust jacket overall and am looking forward to the book coming out.

Random Comments likes this.
  23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I cannot wait for this novel and in particular Jason's dorkery notes thereafter. (Please!)

jasonfry, AV-6R7 and WebLurker like this.
  24. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Sure, totally understand that sentiment. But since this is Jason's thread, I don't want to take up all the airspace with an explanation, so I'm going to answer this over in the thread dedicated to the novelization.

AV-6R7 and WebLurker like this.
  25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Fun interview that starts with WAAAAAAAAAY TMI about the writer's life. (But I hope you'll be amused.) Mostly Cross-Sections -- still gotta stay mum about novelization stuff -- but think/hope you'll enjoy.