main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
  2. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    This video features this thread in it. :p

3. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    Ahmed Best testing out his Jar Jar Suit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DarthAnakin96 and DarthBrian like this.
  4. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    With a naked Jar Jar standing behind him. :p

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Is Jar Jar shredded?

6. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    I think it's ironic how so many people flame the prequels for only using CG, when they've stated that the prequels used more, and more complex models than the OT ever used.

7. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    the trouble is that the models while there were a lot more, were usually in the backgrounds, or heavily made up with cgi in the backgrounds of the models

8. Delta Scepter

Jun 5, 2014
    No, they weren't. That is a prequel false truism: it's the narrative that everybody believes to be true, but is actually far from reality. No CGI makeup was added onto the model backgrounds. Sure, certain CGI elements were added to the models such as creatures, ships, and stars; but no model or miniature in the the Prequel Trilogy was replaced with CGI. If it is a model, then it is a model.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think there is some meme material there

10. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    Oh really? I know complete sets were used during PM, (much like coruscant is just gigantic models and matte paintings in PM but almost entirely cgi in AOTC and ROTS) but not in AOC or ROTS. Kashyyyk, while they used the same model tree for every tree had a lot of background cgi (including all the clones and droids).

11. Delta Scepter

Jun 5, 2014
    The Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith also used models, miniatures, sets, location photography, matte paintings, pyro, etc. as well as Computer Generated Imagery. Kashyyyk, as an example ;), was composed of miniatures and models, aerial photography and plate photography of China and Thailand, live-action Wookie costumes and props, digital and hand matte paintings, filmed live-action explosions and pyro, in addition to CGI characters and vehicles. To quote the maker himself: "the oldest of the old, and newest of the new."

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Kashyyk was mostly miniatures of the same tree

13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Also, Coruscant was never a model in TPM. While the interior sets were all practical, everything in the background was CG.

The only times miniatures were used for the Coruscant exterior, was the Power Couplings during the Zam chase, and Dex's Diner, in AOTC.

14. Delta Scepter

Jun 5, 2014
    Don't forget Padme's apartment, the club district, and the refinery area before the power couplings.

15. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Padme's Apartment and he Club area were sets though right? I was referring to miniatures.

Unless they were miniatures as well, in which case does anyone have any BTS pics of those?

16. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    The thing that I can't come to terms with in the PT, is that they look plastic... they don't feel or look real. I understand the amount of work that goes in to designing and building physical sets and props, but when they are barely recognizable it's a sad state of affairs.
    The OT, and don't get me wrong, has some terrible moments of unrealistic effects, but they are few and far between. The Landspeeder in ANH, the tie explosion in ESB, Lando walking in to a crap shadow in ROTJ and dodgy lightsabers throughout stick out like soar thumbs.
    Over the years I have, in some part become a prequel convert, but I still can't get away from the fact that the practical skill that was invested in these films is drowned by wave, after wave of CGI. For the longest time I did not know that Theed was an actual miniature, and when I found out I still couldn't work it out. When a director is so hell bent on pushing visual technology, I'm afraid like many things there are consequences... I honestly believe he pushed things too far and the PT at times comes across visually, like an animated movie.

Time hasn't been kind to either, TPM and AOTC look very dated by todays standards, only highlighting the problem.

17. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Is not plastic, is clear and it has to look that way. Especially the Kamino scenes that are intentionally sterile. Real in the galaxy far, far away is something defined in completely different way, after all. Except ROTJ that include the scenes of Endor, the prequel beat OT in using real locations sets that also look like real places because most parts of them are ‘natural’ landscape. When I say natural, I mean even the villa on the shores of Como (Episode II). Even in the creation of Mustafar landscape is used real footage of Etna's eruption.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Look and feel real to me so obviously it's a personal thing.

I'd say they look better than ever especially after TFA and TLJ which pale in comparison and simply look like the imagination doesn't go past Earth.

I mean look at shot after shot in the PT done years ago now compared to the rather dull shots of forests and trees.

eko32eko7, Tonyg, Jango723 and 7 others like this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the outside buildings were all miniatures.

Tonyg likes this.
  20. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Most of the special effects in TPM still look fantastic to me. And it came out in the '90s.

eko32eko7, AV-6R7, Jango723 and 7 others like this.
  21. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Yeah, no point in continuing the discussion when you obviously have rose tinted glasses on.

22. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Every Coruscant scene in TPM was CGI? Does that include digital mattes? I was pretty sure this scene had some kind of matte background (minus the vehicles which are probably CGI but look superimposed):

[​IMG]

There's also another sunset scene in TPM that always looked like a miniature diorama with some kind of matte background to me, but I can't be sure:

[​IMG]

I could be wrong about the latter scene.

Most of Coruscant in TPM is definitely CG though.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    elfdart and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  23. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    Nah I know at least for TPM, Coruscant was mostly models and matte paintings. Though for AOTC and ROTS I'm not as sure... as we all like to correct each other in this thread XD

Huttese 101 likes this.
  24. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I'd love if there any pics of the models, that would end this discussion ;)

That reminds me, was the Jedi Temple exterior a miniature?

25. Delta Scepter

Jun 5, 2014
    They're somewhere on this thread. I've noticed that a lot of the pictures are missing or are blocked by their hosting sites for money.

Tonyg and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.