main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Deleted/Missing Scenes Thread!

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Avnar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Why would anyone want a call sign of Radish? :confused:

Avnar likes this.
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I really wish they had of (if it were possible??) gone the LOTR's path with RO - Theatrical version and an Extended version! That's assuming all the extra footage was possible to re-insert into a cohesive film... This film was great - I want more!! :cool:

SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  3. Jorgz

Jorgz Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2017
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wonder what the real reason behind not releasing the deleted scenes is...? They have done it for every other SW film - What gives! [face_dunno]

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Oh, they will... just give them enough time. In a few years, in one super-mega-compilation-collector's-edition of the saga.

Avnar likes this.
  6. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
  8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Going from Edwards comments quite a lot of that stuff(especially early on) was never that close to being included in the film, just characterful little extra he filmed that those putting together the trailer liked because the clips were very to the point character wise rather than the more subtle stuff in the film that wouldn't be so suited to short clips.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The film they showed us was awesomely powerful, but I still want to see a recut version using those scenes and the other ones we've heard rumors of.

Avnar likes this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I know it's not a deleted scene (more of a dropped idea) BUT it would have been awesome if they had of gone with the original idea of having the Rebels based on Dantooine! :cool: How cool would that have been!

whostheBossk and Lt. Hija like this.
  11. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Didn't the deleted scenes video (great job!) miss that shot from the Alliance briefing where they projected a hologram of the Death Star?

[​IMG]

Still would love to hear the story surrounding this partricular (deleted) scene.

whostheBossk, Avnar and Darth Dnej like this.
  12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Oh wow... Haven't seen that before!

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It would have been an interesting nod, but it doesn't really fit into the story. After all, this movie is placed right before ANH, in which it gets stated that the rebel base on Dantooine has been given up quite some time ago. It would also put Leia dangerously close to betraying the rebels when she makes the statement about Dantooine on the Death Star, instead of her pretending to give away the location to buy time.

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah, you're right [face_thinking]

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm still really curious why the deleted scenes have been released for TFA and TLJ but not RO...?

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Because the situations are very different, and TFA and TLJ are the more "normal" scenario, which results in a movie that does get deleted scenes included. This was discussed in here earlier... go back to the post below and read forward from there some for the likely reasons why we won't get them:
    So, this is likely all we'll see, and these are mostly not really deleted scenes anyway... more like one-off shots that in some cases were probably created just for the trailers:

whostheBossk and Artoo-Dion like this.
  17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Mungo Baobab likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "He saw the opportunity to explore why the film's characters — played by stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna and Donnie Yen — would ultimately sacrifice themselves at the end of the film in order to allow the Rebels to gain the plans to the Death Star."

That wasn't already in the film? Who are these people? Seriously, the anthologies should be the easiest films to make. Just tell a self contained story in the Star Wars universe. You barely have to connect to anything. You have nearly limitless resources. You have a creative infrastructure. What is the problem?

The Regular Mustache and wobbits like this.
  19. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Look at Cassian's introduction, which was added in the reshoots: it sets up an arc that clearly wasn't originally there, where he moves from a cynic to an idealist. Prior to that, he was most likely a more one-dimensional spy who didn't really progress.

Anyway, the THR piece pretty much spells it out: Gilroy was, at the very least, a co-director (though not in DGA terms, so he shot no more than 50%) who rewrote the script considerably. If you read between the lines, the major setpieces were all in place but the character work was redone in order to give each character a clear arc. It's kind of similar to how Rogue Nation was made, just with an additional false start.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But how is this stuff getting missed in the first place? This isn't Kathleen Kennedy's first dance. How are things like basic character motivation not being established in scripts? How is that getting past the writer, director, producer, story group, KK, Disney, etc.? I thought these people were professionals. They're certainly getting paid like professionals. Tony Gilroy basically says "Oh, here's your problem. The movie's no good. You should make it good. There's almost no story. You should have a story." and then they forked over millions of dollars.:oops:[face_sigh]

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Whitta and Weitz seemed to be busy enough trying to crack the plot, and the production demanded that they move ahead with the script they had.

Keep in mind that Casablanca only had half a script ready to go when they started filming. These things happen.

TCF-1138 , Darth Chiznuk and EHT like this.
  22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Sometimes you don't realise what's not working until late on - and that's where fresh eyes can help enormously. This is not rare in tentpole filmmaking, or SW, where George's cut of ANH got ripped a new one by De Palma, Marcia, and the other filmmakers and execs that saw it. That had to come together in the edit - R1 was saved with extensive reshoots. It's obviously not ideal - but I think, depending on who you speak to, either KK and the other execs slightly took their eye off the ball re R1 for while, or - KK trusts (or trusted?) her filmmakers to see what they delivered in their first cut - then she sees where and how they need to bring it back on track. FWIW, I've heard both takes re R1. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It would be interesting to know more about what happened behind the scenes, but ultimately the proof is in the pudding for me. I can’t really judge them, because the final product we got is just so good. In that, it joins a list of excellent movies that had troubled productions (like ANH and Jaws).

24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Same. I'd personally be fascinated by the process, but more as another example of how magic can happen despite behind-the-scenes chaos.

25. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It seems like they started shooting without a script, they were chasing a release date from day one. They also hired a director who is a great visualist but is unable to capture a single human emotion on celluloid.

11-4D likes this.