main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wonder what Spaceman Spiff is up to these days?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Crashing, no doubt.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I looked at Hal Horn's page on Wookieepedia and I looked up some ships. My memory was so rusty I completely forgot the details of the Horn family, so I was like one of those noobs who thinks the kid in TPM is Luke. I should quit now before I start getting into Star Wars again.

I watched TFA over Christmas break with my little sister, she was watching it so she could go see TLJ. She wanted some help with the backstory and such. She said she had seen Star Wars before. Some tidbits.

Sister: Is Natalie Portman in this one?
    Me: Wut? No, she's dead.
    Sister: Well, who is Natalie Portman?
    Me: She's Leia's mom.
    Sister: Huh? She's way too young to be Leia's mom.
    Me: Do you understand the concept of a prequel?
    Sister: Yeah, it's like The Hobbit to LOTR.

*Han shows up on the Falcon*
    Sister: Who's that?
    Me: .... That's Han Solo.
    Sister: Oh. Is he Luke's brother?
    Me: ...No.
    Sister: Then who is he to Luke?
    Me: They're just really good pals. Have you seen Star Wars?

And it just kept going. Where's Darth Vader? He's dead. Who is that girl? Rey. Is she Luke's daughter? I don't know. I have to watch Rogue One after this, right? No. Why not?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This might be of interest for some here

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    My sister told me she didn't see TLJ because she hasn't seen Rogue One so she just assumed she would be lost without it. Not sure if that meant she thought Rogue One was set in between them, but both my mom and girlfriend, each of whom have seen Rogue One, went into TLJ thinking that Rogue One was some kind of TFA-TLJ interquel.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh dang, this is pretty big? I had no idea it was on the cards at all.

Conan back at Marvel?

I drifted away from the Dark Horse run, eventually, but I loved the stuff with Busiek (even if the Vizier subplot got dropped!) and Truman. Marvel have a lot to live up to, IMO.

Feel kind of bad for DH at this point.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    agreed about feeling bad for DH

was planning to catch up on their stuff... eventually

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do this mean that we finally will see reprints of the comics where Conan meet Marvel characters?

[​IMG]

9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "What if Rhagar and Robert switched weapons at the Trident?"

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I feel sorry for Dark Horse too :( First Star Wars, now Conan. With the acquisition of Fox by Disney, it seems very likely that Dark Horse will lose the license for the Alien and Predator comics, as well as Avatar (which they've only managed to release one short comic for Free Comic Book Day). Nothing against Marvel, but still...

Ulicus and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    All that Dark Horse has that I'm interested in now is Hellboy and Black Hammer, unless Alien/Predator ends up staying at DH. :(

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I doubt they'll care much about Aliens / Predator licence - Marvel will only go after those they can make loads of cash out of.

DHC still has a good few manga books, the Mignolaverse, stuff like Elfquest and Moebius Library - they are a small company, but they've been punching above their weight for a long time now.

spicer likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Woah Sam Witwer is in the first episode of Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Not sure why that's a "What If" issue - pretty sure Thor has canonically battled Conan.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, feeling bad for DH too. I was never a huge Conan fan but I did read a few volumes of the Busiek run - I actually got into it when I went to DragonCon over a decade ago and the Dark Horse booth there was handing out a couple slightly-damaged volumes for free. Definitely lucked out there.

I suppose if Frank Miller ever actually gets around to releasing the new Sin City and 300 comics he's been promising since the turn of the century, they'd be big news for Dark Horse. But still, a sad turn of affairs for Dark Horse. If they go under in a few years, I'll be devastated... it was DH's output that got me into reading comics back in the 90s and there was a good decade or so when I almost solely read stuff they put out.

16. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    We are tantalizingly close to being able to recreate this scene on film with a perfect CGI Uatu, Hemsworth, and Momoa. Make it happen, Disney.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Just curious if anyone is a fan of the PERSONA series of games/manga/anime. After playing Persona 5 I got bit by the franchise bug and started PERSONA 4 GOLDEN which lead me to the anime series for that (both the regular and Golden series) and then to the Persona 3 films and then to playing Persona 3 FES, the Persona 4 fighting games, and now I grabbed Persona 2: Innocent Sin for my PS Vita. I also took advantage of the current Buy Two Get One Free deal Barnes and Nobles has for manga and got collections of the manga adaptions for Persona 4, 3, and Persona Q.

Persona is officially my new obsession so...anyone else like them? And I'm finding Persona 2: Innocent Sin surprisingly fun to play, is the first Persona game worth a go or is it so different from the rest that it's not worth it?

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because this issue ends with Thor dying and his friend Conan picking up his hammer and begining a long climb up the high mountain where Crom sits.

more info here http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/earththorvsconan.htm

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm surprised (unless I missed it) that no one has brought up that you'll be able to build Death Stars and Super Star Destroyers in the new Stellaris expansion... o_O

20. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    The best part about it is that you can actually use your Death Star as a harmless mineral extractor on uninhabitable planets. Maybe Qwi Xux wasn't totally loopy after all.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    After the turn the conversation took in the TLJ thread I've decided that this is how Darth Bane was defeated in the new canon:

MercenaryAce and Nom von Anor like this.
  22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    What a great show, I need to watch that again.

Ulicus likes this.
  23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I hate trying to put decals on complex curves. Ended up ordering some Microsol/set to see if that helps

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I started watching through Sex and the City with my girlfriend. In the third season, the girls go to LA for a few episodes. In one of them, Carrie ends up sleeping with a guy (played by Vince Vaughan) who she thinks is an agent but is really a celebrity housekeeper. Carrie Fisher walks in on them having sex in her bed and says something to the effect of, "I can't believe you, I have a kid! You aren't going to do this at Ben's, are you?"

The Ben she was referring to there was Affleck, but I thought it was a funny juxtaposition of phrasing considering Carrie (Fisher)'s then-future acting career....

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I had a dream last night where I was living a Resident Evil challenge level, hacking up zombies with an ax (I was out of ammo)...while NSYNC's "God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You" played. It's...actually a great song to kill zombies to, especially when they still look very much like people.

More precious than any diamond or pearl
    they broke the mo

WHACK!

The warmth of your smile, the heart of a child...

WHAM!

God must have spent a little more time on youuuuuuuu...

Vthuil, Senpezeco and Ulicus like this.