main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    That reminds me of how much I want to see Shriv in IX. ;)

Darkspellmaster and Senator Wan like this.
  2. PSUIndyRunner

PSUIndyRunner Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2018
    I say Leia’s death will be unexplained in Episode IX but there will be a scene of an emotional Rey honoring Leia at her gravestone and asking her for guidance at which point Luke appears to her and provides her with her 3rd Force lesson (the fact they cut the 3rd lesson out of TLJ I believe leaves the door wide open for this).

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    No way Leia's fate is left unexplained.

C Creepio likes this.
  4. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    A glitchy hologram communication (something visually similar to Galen Erso's in RO) would be pretty easy given the CG technology and all of the 3D imagery, ADR and cut footage of Leia they surely have.

Now, how they frame that appearance within the story is the more challenging thing I think. What's the reason she's off doing something else and not with the Rebels? I think it could work fine, still sad, but I'm just so curious how JJ solves this problem.

I prefer they keep the character of Leia alive if at all possible, but we will see.

I wouldn't mind if we see hologram Leia early in the film and it's explained she's given the reins of command to Poe, so she's off on an important secret mission (perhaps with Rose or another secondary character they don't mind writing out of most of the film), then when Rose or whomever returns they explain that tragedy befell the mission and Leia didn't make it. She says Leia saved their lives and died a hero, saved the mission in a powerful way (i.e. using the Force), etc., and then we see Force Ghost Leia at the very end of the film with Luke, and Rey sees both of them standing together. . .

Later LFL can put out a book detailing the entire mission and Leia's last stand.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    cathiecat likes this.
  5. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    I think she’s too intrinsic to the theme of hope and redemption though... and will still be a downer if she dies... I know, I know I’ve said it a million times, Luke and Han make sense dying as characters, but never Leia. (But I always thought Luke’s passing would be in the final film and similar to what happened.) with the new dynamics of the rebellion, I think they can easily excuse her absence for a bulk of the film and still have the fun adventure story they need.

I imagine they can go a few ways, and like Matt said I believe Todd inadvertently let the cat out ofthe bag. I can see them doing an early hologram version of her delivering the key needs of the mission, followed by a scene with her at the end during the victory with unused footage and cgi trickery. Or her absence is a cryptic plot point throughout the film and she surprisingingly turns up at the Rey, Kylo, Luke showdown through the work of a standin in similar robes to The Last Jedi, back lighting and unused footage of facial expressions.

6. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Lucasfilm should make the film the search for Leia. The way the force awakens was a search for Luke. Bookend people!

All I know is Kathleen Kennedy and lucasfilm should keep Leia alive.

We should all remember carrie's plea in her book inscription to Kathleen. "Please don't fire me!"

I say we start a petition. Please don't fire Carrie. Don't fire Leia.

7. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    If there's no actual closure (death, retirement, whatever) for Leia in IX, better to do the Rogue One approach and make her a full-on supporting character. Leia being alive but staying on the periphery, not being an active participant of the story, just seems like a waste.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I tend to think Leia isn't doing well physically at the end when they're on Crait (she's leaning on her cane rather heavily) and she may succumb to her injuries from her space walk but it's set up that she's transitioning leading the Rebels to Poe "What are you looking at me for?" Also I kinda believe her Space Walk was one of a random Force Miracles so she could be there to give strength to her brother in his final moments.

So, yeah, Leia died. Like, right after the credits rolled, possibly in the Falcon.

9. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    The Force miracle backfiring and resulting in exhausted death was just done with Luke, but I guess it could happen again and be used as a dramatic tension for Rey if she chooses to use something as intense. But with her doing the rock removal and Leia saving herself in space, to me, echoes more to the awe of Luke destroying the Death Star.... believe in yourself kids and anything is possible.

But what you said about Poe and leadership is interesting. Regardless of what happened to Carrie, The Last Jedi certainly sets up a beginning, middle and end for Poe taking the torch from Leia. So I wonder what the original plan for her was for Nine. I get the sense time is supposed to pass, and I imagine Leia was not supposed to be just at Poe’s side counseling him with the employee handbook in Rebel Leader. So maybe she was always supposed to be somewhere else, learning, meditating, somewhere severely different for the character. I have no doubt though she was going to be crucial for the final part in the film. I’m sure Luke was, is still going to have a large part... maybe he would have had continued scenes with her in another isolated world, and even though she had resolve, salvaged the rebellion and got it back on its feet, her personal story kicks in of grief and mourning. “I held out hope for so long but I know my son is gone.” The tension would have been will she die of a broken heart as well. Personal struggle. And then in the final act, she showed up to confront, save her son.

10. ObiSpamBaloney

ObiSpamBaloney Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2014
    Recasting her with a completely different actor is not a great idea within the same trilogy, plus the fact she's been in two trilogies in total. Re-creating her with a mix of stand-in actress (Billie Lourd) + necessary makeup + CGI for a FEW brief scenes is the way to go forward I think. The best use of the character under the circumstances would be to have her absence for most of the film be part of the story. Having her captured, in prison like she was in A New Hope would not be strange. She is after all still an important leading figure. Keeping her hostage could be used, as said earlier, as part of Hux's coup to take over leadership. It was established in Episode 8 that Kylo did NOT want to kill his own mother. Knowledge of his decision could find it's way back to Hux the same way Finn's own decision not to kill in Force Awakens the villagers to Phasma/Kylo. One final echo they could throw in there would be to have her perish like Han Solo, only this time by Hux executing her, or accident where she perishes. Kylo/Ben still conflicted would feel responsible and driven further to the darkside because of her loss. HOWEVER, at some critical moment in the film later on she appears as a force ghost and lovingly touches Kylo/Ben's face the same way Han Solo did before he fell into the endless abyss. That single gesture by Han in the Force Awakens, to me, communicated how much he still loved his son, and that he still forgave him. Leia repeating that, in spirit form, could be part of what would snap Kylo out of his darkness, at least long enough for the good guys to win, if he should revert.

Thoughts?

This would be the most satisfactory use of the character given she had a big role originally planned for her. To have no role for her at all by writing her out in the opening credits or a surprise funeral scene in that context would be a disaster. After seeing Rachel in Blade Runner 2049 and also noting the resemblance between Carrie and Billie it could totally work if they wanted. I know they say they're not going to go that route, but maybe plans changed. Obviously to have her play her original huge role in terms of screen time is not an option which is why a FEW key scenes is their best options as I've previously described. Having her use echo what's been done and worked well in previous films seems to me to be the best way to go. It's the best and most realistic choice under the circumstances and resources available.

cathiecat and Rodie like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    To me there will be a ship that blows up at the start and then they will all be like "No! Leia" and that will be that.

12. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    My honest guess is that Kathleen won't let Carrie down. They were friends, and she was assured by Kathleen herself that nine was going to be her story. I honesty think it should in some ways, stay that way. CGI, voice acting to put in additional lines, have words taken from her books and her voice actress come into play. I would certainly say, don't have her have a huge role, but don't negate her. I'm pretty sure she was going to be the one that pulled Ben Back and I say keep it that way.

KSennia and laurethiel1138 like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I did not know that I wanted it until you said those words, but now I need it.

Strongbow likes this.
  14. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Quick question. Is that Carrie doing the voice or another actress?

15. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Part of the opening crawl reads "The Rebellion is reborn! General Leia Organa has embarked on a mission to seek hope from outer region allies in her endless quest for peace.".

Early in the film, we have a ship heading out somewhere to follow up on the message for help. One of the trailing ships reports that they are being tracked. We see Leia's hologram (like the one posted above from the game) send a command. Just then, the attack begins and Leia's ship is destroyed along with most of the fleet. Kylo is disturbed by this and is VERY angry.

Near the end of the film, the small rebellion is horribly outnumbered. However, it is learned that Leia's command ship sent the message and it fell into the hands of an old friend-Lando. He sent it to all worlds and we see a bunch of fleets coming to help the struggling rebellion. Leia's last mission was a success and saved the rebellion, brought defeat to the FO, and was the final spark to start the new Republic.

Then if flashbacks are used to tell Leia's story and how much she loved her son as well as how much pain she was in for losing him, they could possibly utilize Carrie's daughter to tell that story. Ultimately, it's Billie's decision.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I could get behind this

17. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    I could see something similar but surprise, Leia survived and arrives to confront Kylo.

18. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I can't ever get behind killing her off. Rain Johnson didn't and if in Abrams puts her in the same situation of a blown up space ship then shame on him for lazy storytelling and just wiping leia's legacy away.

Fast and the furious showed how this can respectfully and affectionately be done for fans and loved ones. If Paul walker's character got his ending and rode off into the sunset, do the same for Carrie and leia's arc

cathiecat, KSennia and laurethiel1138 like this.
  19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Or Kylo sees the Force ghost of Vader who takes off the mask and it's Leia instead.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Leia cannot just leave though. It does not work for her character

jaqen likes this.
  21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Another actress.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    There have been several actresses who have done good Leia impressions, but I am still on the edge of the whole thing

23. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    She wouldn't just leave -- she would get her closure win episode IX and end her story. But my point is death or killing her off isn't necessary. Not sure why so many seem to be bent on that angle.

She can finish her arc and then go off into the sunset with the end of IX. Either as a Jedi or new chancellor or savior of Ben -- something. Even if the end goal was for her to become luminous during bens redemption.

KSennia and laurethiel1138 like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think so many Believe that because carrie is dead Leia must die to

25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If there's a way to CG a different costume on existing Leia outtake footage, and that footage can be used some way for 2-3 scenes that make sense, I say keep Leia alive. Otherwise, I think they need to go the route of an early death in the film, but something heroic that impacts the story, a few mentions in the middle, and finally a Force Ghost appearance alongside Luke at the very end.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.