main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree that no reference book should stand in the way of a good story, but my question is what does this (possible) error say about the story group? Such errors were common prior to their formation in 2013 or 2014, so what difference do they make? Also, the encyclopedia was published only 4 or 5 months before the issue where Vader acquires Kirak's lightsaber, so I'd expect the story group was aware what was going to happen in the comic (story drafts are complete months before the actual comic is published). If the encyclopedia was done before the first draft for issue #5 of Vader was submitted, then Marvel should have known of this. It's not like this information was in Ultimate Star Wars and was 3 years old by now. It's just 4 months apart.

As I said in my previous post, this MAY NOT be an error at all, since this is a good rationalization to me at least:
    Just curious what others make of this.

revan772 and kalzeth like this.
  2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    The original version of the Everything You Need to Know book I own has a disclaimer in the back that mentions the Canon reclassification in 2014 and that the book draws some of it's information from Legends. Maybe Ultimate Star Wars has a similar message in it?

3. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I don't think Ultimate Star Wars has that but I'm not sure. It doesn't matter if it does anyway, as this doesn't concern Ultimate Star Wars nor Everything You Need to Know, but the Visual Encyclopedia. And if I remember well, the Visual Encyclopedia doesn't have such a disclaimer.

4. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I guess, in short, something like that, I just really don’t care.

Like you said, it can be handwaved by saying it was never Vader’s saber, but it was a corrupted Kirak saber.

Now if there was something totally wrong, like Leia and Luke being born on Coruscant or something similar, then it would bother me.

Another possibility is that they didn’t want to spoil the Kirak saber becomes Vader’s saber aspect of the story. At that point, we didn’t know if Vader was going to take the saber, just the crystal, or something else.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    My bad, I thought it was just a reprint of previous reference books reprinted with new info but it seems to be completely new.

Does the book give an in universe reason why Vader's mask has red eyes on the outside in Rebels, R1 and ANH and not in TESB and ROTJ? I was thinking maybe it could be the result of him tinkering with his armour, since we've already seen him make some modifications to it in this series.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The previous two books (USW and AEYNTK) do have back disclaimer. Visual Encyclopaedia does not.

Jedi Knight Fett and spicer like this.
  7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    In that case, wouldn't have been better to not mention whether that was Vader's first, 8th, 20th or last lightsaber? Just a caption "Vader's lightsaber" or "one of Vader's lightsabers" at the most would suffice. No contradictions that way, regardless of how insignificant or small.

tatooinesandworm and kalzeth like this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't have the book, but Gareth Edwards has said that Vader has several helmets, some are nice and shiny and some are more dull and full of scratches. There's also the fact that Vader gets into a lot of scuffles where his armor is almost completely destroyed.

Bringing this into the real world, imagine you have a friend that always wears, say, a New York Yankees baseball cap. If you see them three years later and it's a slightly different Yankees cap, is that a continuity error or did they just get a new hat to replace the old one?

Grievousdude likes this.
  9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The guidebook doesn't say when or where he built it. To say that it isn't the same one would mean that you would have to be judging it based on how it simply looked in a comic drawing. No offense but that is being awfully picky @spicer . I might be able to take this seriously if the guide book actually said when/where he built it and it didn't line up with the comic but not when you are basing it strictly off of how it looked when it was drawn. Let's just relax and try not to be that picky about canon. After all again the guidebook never said when it was built and you are basing it off of how it looked when it was drawn in a comic book.

10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It doesn't, but I can't see how that is relevant in this case?
    Are you saying that the lightsaber in the comics is the exact same one from the Visual Encyclopedia, regardless of how it is drawn? Because it clearly isn't the same lightsaber based on how it's drawn in the comic. Here are some close ups from issue #4:
    [​IMG]

Also, it makes no sense to say that the lightsaber in the comics is the same as the one in the Visual Encyclopedia, and that any differences of the hilt design are due to stylistic choice or something like that. In fact, the artist stays true to the lightsaber desings as seen on screen, and does not stylises them in any significant way. Case in point, the Emperor's lightsaber as shown in issue #5:
    [​IMG]

Compare that with the design of the Emperor's lightsaber hilt from the movies (just see the image I uploaded from the Visual Encyclopedia on the previous page).
    None taken :)

Vialco, revan772 and kalzeth like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well @spicer if it bothers you just say that he altered the look of it while he was in the cave. Issue #5 shows Vader doing some pretty significant work on it before he shows it to the Emperor.

12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    All he does in issue#5 is take out the crystal, bleeds it and reassembles the hilt. He doesn't modify the hilt in any way. Here's how it looks in issue#6 (it's the same as before :p)
    [​IMG]

Vialco likes this.
  13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Lol. Oh dear. Our lightsaber's don't look exactly like they should. Curses Pablo curses. I think you'll live spicer. This is a piece of cake to explain away considering how we used to have to try to explain away how ten different people stole the Death Star plans.

spicer likes this.
  14. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I personally don’t have a problem with it but I agree with spicer, this is the stuff that the story group is supposed to catch and prevent. It was one of their big raison de etre as said when legends was put in place.

This isn’t a big deal but shows story group isn’t protecting against all the inconsistencies. Not a big deal but I am glad it was pointed out. There are a few other small cases too.

Having said that I freaking love this series. By far the best of the new canon and the only one I actively look forward to each month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, it is rather sloppy coordination. I think back then it was because the comic(that takes place directly following Vader's rebuilding in ROTS) DID NOT exist , but the ROTS promotional material DID and it features Darth Vader with lightsaber that was similar but different than the one he used in the OT. Even the 2013/14 3.75 Black Series action of the ROTS Darth Vader came with the larger ROTS promotional hilt. Even the ROTS 2005 Darth Vader also came with larger and more accurate promotional hilt/lightsaber. This comic is a fill a gap, and largely was/is about Vader procuring his new kyber crystal to explain how he ended up with a new lightsaber by the time he faces Kenobi (or Rebels & Rogue One).

Also am pretty sure Anakin's ROTS lightsaber was changed slightly, so it does not match the one that got handed off to Luke in ANH either.

revan772 likes this.
  16. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Continuity errors bother me. Probably because I am more focused on world building then story telling, which is why I love the guide books. I understand that they do not bother some people, but they bother me. For the lightsaber in the comic vs the guide book, I had assumed since I first saw it that since Vader had not crafted this one from scratch, he did not consider this his first lightsaber. Though looking back at it, the wording on it is slightly irritating. As for the helmet / eyes (and his armour just in general) I assumed it just changed with time, may have worn out or gotten damaged and he just replaced the parts he needed / wanted to.

cwustudent, kalzeth and spicer like this.
  17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I care about continuity but I do think there is a point where people start getting too picky about it. When we are dealing with a fictional universe this vast there are bound to be occasional mistakes made. The trick is is to not make any major mistakes. What I care about is making sure characters are where they are supposed to be and stuff like that. Don't have Hera be doing something in one story when she in a previous story had her at another place at that exact same time. Things like that, Guess I'd say I care more about making sure the characters actions stay consistent.

18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Regarding the lightsaber hilt, why couldn't Vader have simply altered it sometime after issue #6 (or whenever it is we last see that hilt) to fit what's in the VD?
    Not really. Story Group's not there to prevent minor inconsistencies; their mandate is to align stories, create connections, and ensure continuity across the spectrum of Star Wars storytelling. They do weed out inconsistencies, but that's probably more a by-product of their work more than it is the actual work. We were never promised a universe completely free of occasional inconsistencies, and expecting one might be a little unrealistic.

Darth_Duck and Outsourced like this.
  19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Can I just point out that catching minor continuity issues is incredibly difficult in a comic book pipeline?

I mean, you have a full issue comic being created by Marvel monthly, which has to be written, story-boarded, penned, inked, and finalized, bounced between various individuals both creatively and through management, and then coordinated with a separate team at another company. If any one of these links breaks at any point, you can end up with issues.

20. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    As someone who gets really (read: irrationally) annoyed at continuity errors, this one doesn't really bug me. It seems like it's definitely an error, but seems easy enough to hand wave away with only minor mental gymnastics.

This does make me yearn for a comics Visual Guide, or more integration of comic elements into these reference volumes, though. I'd have loved to see this saber alongside his more traditional one.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, Luke punched down the wall and found the Jedi stuff! Is it ANH era Luke cuz he's wearing the gold jacket? I like to think this is post-Endor Luke finding it in his pre-Jedi academy travel days

22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  23. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Bothan!

And the art is great. Can't wait!

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I like that Vader's keeping In'fila's lightsaber and not forging his own yet. Good continuity.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  25. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Interesting panels.

I have one question.

Who's the girl?[face_thinking]