main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What If George Lucas Never Created Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by TheBlogAwakens, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Well Star Trek is very good too

TripleZero, MarcJordan and B99 like this.
  2. DarkEnforcer

DarkEnforcer Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2017
    Great answer, VadersLaMent! Hahaha! I know most Star Wars fans can relate to this. [face_laugh]

MarcJordan likes this.
  3. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I see a world full of degeneracy (even more than ours) where people don't like to go to the movies and don't like to create stories.

I wouldn't be here though.

MarcJordan likes this.
  4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Well, we'd all have a lot more free time.

5. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005

I would have to create it myself. :cool:

MarcJordan and Sarge like this.
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Provided the rest of the entertainment landscape remained unchanged, I would just maintain a heightened level of interest and nostalgia in another direction. Since the PT is the core of my SW interest, probably a work from around that time. The Matrix films, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Hero.

7. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Actually Star Trek might be dead. The Star Trek Phase II tv series which was the anchor the new Paramount Network in the mid 70s fell apart and only evolved into Star Trek: The Motion Picture after the success of Star Wars. No Star Wars no Star trek relaunch. No movies. No Next Gen.

It would be a cult fan base no where near the size it is currently.

MarcJordan and B99 like this.
  8. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    My life would suck without Star Wars.

9. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I just thank the Maker that he did create SW :)

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    AND a lot more money!!!!

Agreed. This was what I was going to say. So many of my favorite memories involving anything in the entertainment industry (music, movies, even books) revolved around Star Wars in one way or another! As a great example: Star Wars (once the '04 versions came out) was one of my sole reasons for getting a surround sound system-just so I could hear all the SW movies in 5.1 surround! It also helped me get more into reading; I started with the Thrawn Trilogy, and to this day I've read somewhere around 70 books in the last 12-14 years-only about 60% of which were SW books!

There's also NOTHING else in my life where I spend up to three years before the fact speculating with anticipation for some upcoming franchise entry...

Yes, there are many wonderful memories I have that would never have been, had SW not been created...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  11. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    We wouldn't really know what we'd be missing, but film making at large would not be what it is today.without Lucas's contributions.

As for me personally, I'd probably have dived deeper into something like Tolkien's work or something like that.

Sarge likes this.
  12. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Well, the Big Tent Pole movies, if they existed, would have less merchandise for one.

13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Jurassic Park would be my all time favourite movie instead of my second.

14. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Could it be argued that this would be untrue? Would Spielberg have maintained the relationship (film wise) with GL only off the success of American Graffiti?

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

That's a good point. I doubt it. It seems that the only reason Harrison Ford was chosen for IJ was due to GL's experience w/him, and Spielberg's trust in GL's choice. It seems clear that Star Wars is what solidified Ford as a convincing action star who could carry the Indiana Jones films successfully. Imagine Indiana Jones with Tom Selleck!! ;)

(For the record, I actually...wouldn't hate that.)

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    One of the later episodes of Magnum PI was titled, Raiders of the Lost Art. It featured Tom running around with a bullwhip and fedora.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    well then this website would not exist and many film makers would not be in film.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Great point as well. Scott, Cameron just to name two.

20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    A different sci-fi franchise might have come along also called Star Wars but with a different creator. The name Star Wars is one another person would likely use for a futuristic saga. The name Star Wars would still likely be part of science fiction, just attached to a different saga. There would probably be no Luke Skywalker since George used his own name and his dog Indiana's name as inspiration for major characters.

It could have originated in a different entertainment medium and then moved to film. I would expect less craftsmanship and attention to detail. Such a series might have naturally concluded without the hope of endless sequels. I would also expect total space military action, less fantasy, less mythology, fewer toys and books, fewer child elements.

The modern blockbuster film may have never been born or born a decade later. The name Star Wars could have been used for an epic tv series lasting for only a single first season like Battlestar Galactica.

Star Trek would be big still. Battlestar Galactica would be big but without the influence of Star Wars and GL.

No Lucasfilm, ILM, Pixar, and no Skywalker Sound.

George and Marcia Lucas are happily married with careers as film editing personnel.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  21. Trooper- DC195

Trooper- DC195 Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2018
    If George Lucas never went into film making, we would not have the movie industry that we have today.
    I know people criticise him for his directing, and writing, but he is an important man in the birth of the modern movie industry.
    Plus we would not have well known film makers that we have today, neither would we have the technology for Special Effects that we have today..

I seen many interviews with others Film makers, Peter Jackson, James Cameron, for examaple, both have stated they got into Filmmaking because Lucas Inspired them.
    Steven Spielberg would not have been able to make Jurrasic Park with out Lucas, there would be no Indiana Jones.

George Lucas broke all the rules about film makiung, back in 1977, he was fined a lot of money by the industry regulators, for not doing things the box stanadard way.. but he did not care, for Star wars made so much he could easily pay the fines..he created the term blockbuster film..

Lucas Created a small team to spear head the special effects, who went on to form I.L.M ( industrial light and magic )
    Back then special / pratical effects were basic, if a film needed effects a few people got put together to come up with them then dispanded.. the technology did not really get pushed along.
    We had the likes of Ray Harryhousean, with stop motion effects.. but they were limited to what they could achieve.

I.L.M have been responsible for most of the special effects, C.G.I, etc.. in majority of the films, in the past 30 years..
    Some will say there are other Effects Companies out there, today.. yes their are, mosty started by the people who first put together I.L.M, back in 1975.
    Phill Tipppet and Dennis Muren, both have there own pratical creature and effects companies, Now..they both started with Georoge lucas and I.L.M ..

I.L.M is the leading special effects company in the world,
    George Lucas, with out him, the movie industry would not be what we have today, all so if you believe some reports, back from the mid 70's we may not have had a Movie industry today.. with out the likes of Spielberg, Lucas, and other young up and coming filmakers,
    Some reports have said Star wars revitalised a slowly fading industry..

firesaber likes this.
  22. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This was covered on Legends of Tomorrow.

Very bleak indeed.

23. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    We'd all have lives! [face_laugh]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I wouldn't have spent ££ on a Solo ticket and tie-in books this morning either.

25. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017
    Star Trek

Sarge likes this.