main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did 200+ Jedi arrive at the arena on Geonosis without attracting attention?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TheNewEmpire, Jan 17, 2018.

1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I was just reading on the EU section of Wookipedia that there were major space and aerial battles at Geonosis as the Jedi arrived on world.
    This doesn't make any sense to me since no one at the arena had any idea that the Jedi were even on world. If they did surely Dooku and Co. wouldn't be chilling but would be on high alert or something.

As there is no canon explanation as yet, what do you think is the most believable explanation?

Darth Downunder likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Obi-Wan managed to land undetected, so presumably the small Jedi force was able to slip in as well.

3. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    Ok... makes sense. I suppose there's no reason to think that the Separatists would have any counter measures to prevent enemy incursions onto their top secret weapons research and development site.

V-2 and Darth Downunder like this.
  4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Simple. There was an announcement at the beginning of the arena festivities to switch off all mobiles or put them to silent.

It was a "more civilized time" after all :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  5. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Well Dooku had his plate full with the Geonosians and the death star plans and overseeing the murders of Padme,Anakin,ObiWan. I would think he knew the jedi were there and knowing his stoic nature, he just waited for the jedi to come to him

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The stuff you're referring to is Legends now, but still:

They jammed their communications.

7. Kururu

Kururu Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2007
    - RIEEKAN: With all the meteor activity in this system, it's going to be difficult to spot approaching ships.

Geonosis asteroid belt makes very easy to land undetected and executions seem to be really big events that gather most of the geonosian people at the arena. Then you also have the Sith wanting the war to start. Dooku probably knew the Jedi were coming (he wasn´t even surprised to see Mace there) so security was not his highest priority, although he was clearly ready to counterattack because the very moment the Jedi showed up, he ordered the droid army to attack.

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Very very sneakily,

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They knew that the Jedi were coming. Well, Dooku did, at least. It was a trap the whole time. Dooku made sure that certain measures were taken to allow the Jedi to land unopposed and to get as far as they did.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They used the force!

In all honesty I don’t think there is a canon answer

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    i think it's a combo here. Yes the Jedi used whatever sneaky countermeasure they could. But Dooku knew they were coming as part of a plan unknown to the Geonosans.

Lulu Mars and Huttese 101 like this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    They use the discipline of ancient Jedi Master El-Mer Fudd who was great at being very, very quiet.

13. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Good question. It's especially hard to fathom given that the arena was chock full of flying termite-people. Who can be seen buzzing around even at the top of the stadium. Surely some of them would be going in & out at the exterior of the stadium & would spot 200 Jedi wandering up. Those Jedi somehow all managed to sneak into various parts of the different levels at points all around the stadium! Undetected by thousands of flying bugs! Not a bad effort.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canon or head-canon?

14. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I don't think Dooku had any idea the Jedi were there until Mace put his saber to Jango's throat. He looked genuinely surprised to me.
    Also, In Empire the entire system was full of meteors that blocked communications, at Geonosis it was just a band of them around the equator. Furthermore, if the Jedi did block communications as the old EU sources claimed, wouldn't that in itself be a pretty big give away that an incursion was imminent?

Darth Downunder likes this.
  15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    To me, Dooku looks like he'd expected it.
    "Master Windu. How pleasant of you to join us."
    He looks positively smug when he says that. He'd definitely planned for it.

Also, consider his last line in the film: "I have good news for you, my lord. The war has begun."
    Definitely planned.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Not sure I agree. Dooku’s just a smug guy. That reveals nothing.

They’re happy the war has begun bcs it’s been their plan for the best part of a decade. Doesn’t mean Dooku specifically planned for the Jedi to show up on Geonosis.

TheNewEmpire likes this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That there were no "major space and aerial battles" before they arrived at the arena...? It's EU, so there's nothing to explain.

18. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I do think Dooku knew that the Jedi were coming, for two reasons.

1) Obi-Wan had been caught sending a signal somewhere. And from Jango, he would know that Obi-Wan is aware of the clones.
    2) Palpatine would likely tell him once the senate vote had been taken care off. And he knew that Mace was going with some 200 Jedi.

So Dooku could plan a trap and likely did.

What could be asked is how the Jedi thought they could land undetected?
    The Geonosians have sensors and they just caught a spy on their planet. A spy that sent a signal.
    So they would be on alert.

Also, how did they all miss the massive numbers of droids in the arena?
    Mace walked through a corridor and moments later, a number of battle droids came after him.

And did they have any kind of plan beyond "Let's ignite our lightsabers and then they will all surrender."
    Given that Yoda was, what, 20 minutes behind them and they have communicators.
    Talk to him and make a plan.
    As it is, the movie does a great job of showing why the jedi are not soldiers and why they should not be generals.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

heels1785 likes this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    stealth tech

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "We're not the rescuers you're looking for. We can go about our business" to every Geonosian they meet on the way in.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    1. Dooku is not surprised to see Mace, nor the other Jedi show up.

2. Two Super Battle Droids come up behind Mace, which wouldn't have happened if they weren't programmed to do so.

3. All the Battle Droids that come out into the Arena wouldn't be there unless programmed to do so.

4. The Sith discuss the plan going off without a hitch.

DOOKU: "The Force is with us, Master Sidious."

SIDIOUS: "Welcome home, Lord Tyranus. You have done well."

DOOKU: "I have good news for you, my Lord. The war has begun."

SIDIOUS: "Excellent. Everything is going as planned."

The problem is that Lucas cut out a crucial scene that would show that they did have a plan, which was that Ki-Adi-Mundi and Plo Koon were leading a group of Jedi to shut down the control ship, only to find that the master signal was somewhere else. The sequence was filmed, but never completed and probably deemed to have dragged the film down.

Vialco and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "I have good news, Master. The war has begun."

I tend to agree with you. Dooku doesn't gain anything long-term from executing two Jedi and a Senator. Drawing the entire Order out and beginning to decimate their ranks would be much more effective, long-term. Lure them in, and then hit them with the massive force assembled on Geonosis.

23. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I think having the Jedi suddenly turn up on Geonosis was an unexpected bonus for Dooku. He and Palps obviously planned for the war, but I don't think either of them expected it to start quite so soon.

24. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    They´re good at what they do. We don´t need any other explanation than that.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I agree. Still, Palpatine knew the Jedi were going to Geonosis, so if he wanted, he could have warned Dooku (and he might have). But either way, it works for them so nothing would have changed as far as actions go.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.