main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi clarification thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Jan 12, 2018.

1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Confirmation from Pablo as well on this.

TK327 likes this.
  2. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I know a lot of people dont read the books or play the extended Universe games and I know a lot of people have problems with Battlefront and EA, but the game fills in a lot of gaps in the storytelling and once again shows kylo being one of the best Force users to read people's minds which to me comes directly from snoke. it also serves as a sort of prequel to one of the aftermath books

3. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    Where did Holdo's ship go?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Tanjint and 3sm1r like this.
  4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Some interesting interpretations on why Luke went to Crait in here but I will say one of the themes of this film is: Don't Meet Your Heroes. Or maybe: Don't Expect Your Heroes to be Heroic All the Time.

Rey meeting Galactic Legend Luke Skywalker
    Rose meeting The Finn
    even Poe meeting Admiral Holdo

How many times in real life have you met celebrities, or athletes or politicians, musicians, etc and they seem disappointing. Or else they are involved in some scandal or hold some views you consider abhorrent.

Sometimes people that do exceptional things might not be well-balanced or exceptional all the time.

Heroism is a choice, and it's a choice you have to keep on making.

5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Everywhere.

vncredleader and Tanjint like this.
  6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    What was left of the Raddus after the collision was probably among the debris from the Supremacy that destroyed Snoke's fleet. I love that the size of the Supremacy was turned into a weakness that took out the rest of the fleet. If the Supremacy was a smaller ship and the Raddus jumped into it, only the Supremacy would have been destroyed.

7. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    We see it get destroyed. It’s the last ship to go down before the Raddus.

Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  8. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Was Admiral Holdo always planning to kamikaze into the Supremacy? It didn't initially seem like it. So if not, where was she planning to go?

And why was it necessary for someone to pilot the Raddus for the escape pods to all leave? Why did Leia initially say no but then let her stay behind?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Tanjint likes this.
  9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    She was going to lure the FO away past Crait. Someone needed to remain onboard to fly the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    I suspect it was more so the imperials wouldn't catch on to the plan; I'm sure a droid could have flown the ship but scanners would have tipped off the Order to their being no organic life-forms on it, thus hinting that something is up...and/or so that FO wouldn't focus full attention on the transports.

-T

Sarge likes this.
  11. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Holdo had also "taken over" Leia's role as General who is also head of the Raddus (last of the Resistance ) while she was recovering. We see that the last left in the other ships that went down were the ship Captains. Holdo took the initiative boldly knowing that the spiritual leader for the Resistance is Leia. So Holdo makes the call telling Leia it was taught to her and Leia must carry the flag so to speak for the future. I think this whole martyrdom situation was brilliantly carried out.

MJ

Tanjint likes this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, and also let’s not forget that had Carrie not passed away, Leia would have played a pivotal role in 9

MarcJordan and Garth Maul like this.
  13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The way Leia would have appeared in X will always be a great “what if” of cinema.
    In TFA it showed that Carrie had barely acted for years, I think.
    In TLJ she was the Leia I never dreamed we would get.
    The work that she and Mark put in to get back to the top of their game for the sequel trilogy is immense

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think the deleted Leia scene in TFA show some great Carrie stuff. It's not helped that her chat with Han about Ben is one of the most functional scenes in the saga since Luke and Leia on Ender. There's not much more Ford or Fisher can do with that scene.

15. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    -The bombers at the beginning of the film arm their bombs before they drop them or do they arm as they're dropped? Paige goes through a lot of trouble to drop the bombs when her ship ends up crashing into the FO ship anyway. If the bombs were already armed, she could've just waited until her bomber crashed.
    -What was the point of the Resistance ships on Crait? I know they were junk ships, but when they charged the walkers, none of them even fired a shot.
    -Who told the kids at the end about Luke facing the FO? The Resistance fled, and I know the FO has allies on Canto, but I can't see them talking about what happened the way it did. If anything, I figure they'd say, "Luke skywalker showed up, but we shot him and Kylo finished him off."
    -So was Kylo using the story that Rey killed Snoke and the guards, and beat him up as well? And he's also claiming to be the new Leader?

16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    1. They were armed with the control device, which also controlled their release. I don't believe Paige's bomber crashes into the Dreadnaught, but is consumed in the explosion following the release of the bombs.
    2. They wanted to destroy the battering cannon and the speeders were pretty much their only means to do so. You're right, I don't think any of them fired, and that's because they couldn't get close enough.
    3. A time jump is assumed here, as we're led to believe that having escaped the Resistance has since spread the story and it has travelled far and wide enough for these kids to have heard it. Luke having become the spark across the galaxy.
    4. Yes, Kylo tells Hux that it was Rey. As for the succession, he has the power over Hux and that's the way it rolls - long live the king etc.

Sarge and Satipo like this.
  17. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I am not so sure the dice were not real -- we already saw evidence that this Force vision thing was more than just "vision" with the droplets of water.
    She may have dropped them for the same reasons people have said here - but I kinda think they were real to be honest.

Why Luke doesn't go after Snoke - I do happen to disagree with most of the responses. Leia, Han, and possibly others all seem to actually KNOW Snoke - Luke too I'd have to bet.
    I don't think we have the foggiest idea what the history of Snoke and his interactions with the Big 3 are at this point. It would seem that Snoke must have had some face time with these characters at some point - it just does. Why doesn't Luke deal with a Dark Side Threat like Snoke previously - we really have to wait and see.
    Although Yoda in ESB and RotJ and from what we know of the Jedi and Luke's actions on the DS2 all seem to point to non-aggression -- but with the changes to who/what the Jedi really are - again, wait and see is only truth. Everything else is a guess until then.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  18. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Luke appearing on Crait is not the same as the Force connection between Kylo Ren and Rey. Also, the main reason why people recognize the dice aren't real is because they disappear when Kylo is handling them.

episodenone likes this.
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I may have missed this, but is Kylo wearing any type of headset inside his TIE Silencer?

20. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    I don't think so. At least I didn't notice one in my two viewings.

TK327 likes this.
  21. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    When Rose and Finn break out of the jail cell area on the fathier, they are headed back to the beach and to their shuttle...without a codebreaker to get them onto Snoke's ship. Had they given up on the plan at that point and were just attempting to get off of Cantonica?

Also, a little earlier, when they reject DJ's offer, he walks away saying something like "catoga"...does anyone know the actual word he says, or what it means?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  22. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    In the Ben Swolo scene, Kylo says that he "didn't" hate his father. Is this clarification, then, that Han Solo was not a bad father (as we may have originally thought), did nothing wrong, and Ben Solo just became influenced by the dark side and became a terribly conflicted person? ("I am being torn apart...I want to be free of this pain.")

23. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Also in the Ben Solo scene, Kylo says "Looking for them everywhere...and Han Solo...and (one) Skywalker."

I thought that was supposed to be "Luke Skywalker." But upon repeated viewings, either the word "Luke" wasn't voiced well, or he really does say "one Skywalker." I'm interested to hear if anyone else picked up on this.

24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think he just says “now Skywalker”.

MarcJordan and MrElculver2424 like this.
  25. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Ah, that's it. Sometimes I have trouble hearing certain words, for some reason...haha

Satipo likes this.