main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I completely get that. It can be fun and rewarding creating background data, and it can take on a life of its own.

Master_Lok and gaarastar58 like this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I totally use pen and paper still, probably about half the time. I have notebook after notebook with ideas, half-completed stories, and full stories. I find my creativity flows better when I write by hand sometimes, even though I can type faster than I can write. I also find it makes it easier for me to flesh things out when I transcribe from paper to computer.

It's really fun when I open a notebook I haven't used in awhile and find ideas I'd jotted down. I don't get the same... glee? from finding such things on my hard drive, though that is nice too.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Looking forward to reading that!

So much terrific information in this thread. Thank you everyone.

Ewok Poet and gaarastar58 like this.
  4. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Did you ever have faceclaims that were ironic/ awkward in one way or another, and you had to drop them because of that? I once saw a photo of a woman I thought would fit as a younger Ari Nyros( the only difference is that she had blue eyes instead of brown). Then I found out she was the VA/ face of Juno Eclipse in SWTFU, and I had to drop the idea. Considering that I might mention Starkiller in some capacity in my fanfic, faceclaiming her as Nyros would have been just awkward.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I have a lot of researching to do, but first I want to solidify the design of my Lost Twenty Jedi (One sketch which I like, but I want to tweak as a name change is in order.) The fan fic references thread is terrific.

6. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Last night--or rather, this morning at around 2 am--I made the mistake of looking up a short novel-length fic I posted some years ago. Short story shorter: I hated the prose, I found numerous missing word gaps, a stunning amount for something I thought I had edited pretty well; and then I opened the file and started to revise the.entire.thing. I'm still only on page 6.

I realize that a wiser person would have shrugged, moved on, and gone to bed. But as I think I've made plain, I'm not that person. I'm a warning.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm INES level 7, so what's your point? :D

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    (Writes this just as I finish up revising one of the stupidest bits of prose I have ever committed to a word processing screen and shared in public and left there since 2006.)

Leave the old stories alone, and focus on new ones. Don't do what I'm doing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I don't have any fanfics written between 2004 and 2014, so I'm safe. ;) The old - sadly - RPF stuff is good laughing material.

Rosie looked deeply into Fernando's eyes. He had something charismatic in his look. She felt blush all over her face. She was sitting between the two most good looking guys that she's ever seen! What can she do now?

Fernando was smiling. He was a typical boy next-door. Rosie looked at his eyes again and she felt some kind of heat. Was she falling in love? Impossible. She will have to make a choice...this Fernando guy is available, but Carlo is so nice and emotional!

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    She was sitting between the two most good looking guys that she's ever seen! What can she do now?

I totally have this same problem all the time.

I'm on page 9 of the unfortunate revision now, and I'm trying to convince myself that it won't be so bad if I just do a few pages a day. (You know--instead of working non-stop and all the way to 6 am., which means making even more errors to replace the ones I am trying to fix.) Right now, I'm on the first scene with the Imperial bad guy, and--this may be because I have read about too many perfect teenaged Naboo queens who are "wise beyond her years"--he is this close to rolling his eyes and telling the wise 16 year old queen in question the equivalent of: "Not now, sweetie. Grownups are talking."

11. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Apologies in advance, this may be a bit of a squiggly line of thought:

I have had an idea rattling around in my head for a while now, set not long after the KOTOR era. The story would revolve around the siege of the city of Iziz by the beast riders on Onderon. The story focuses on the struggles facing the beleaguered defenders of the city, including a cowardly general, his arrogant but much more capable subordinate and a newly knighted but out of her depth Jedi and her padawan.

The problem I'm having is with the main character. When I first conceived the idea it would have been a sequel of sorts to "A Cold Day on the Pike" featuring Tok as the cities only hope of survival, despite him having committed terrible crimes as a Sith Lord in the past. I liked the idea of the hero being the villain who is only really interested in saving themselves, although if you've read "Pike" you know that Tok has a conscience and isn't your run-of-the-mill psychopath.

However the more I think about it the more I would like to make this story part of a longer series of interconnected tales which I have been working on for a while focusing on the Grey Jedi. The main character would instead be Fionn Katarm, who was the protagonist of a story I wrote years ago (the story focussed on his first mission as a Jedi padawan whereas in this story he would be an old man). Fionn is an anti-hero of sorts. He is a Mandalorian by birth and eventually left the Order, becoming an exile who often treads close to the dark side and (for various reasons) is regarded by many as a traitor to the Republic and the Jedi.

I'm not really looking for a specific answer, but would like to hear some opinions on which protagonist would be more palatable to guide the reader through a story. I love the idea of a villain having to be the savior of the city, but I'm not sure people would like to read about someone who is completely self-centred. On the other hand, while I don't think a Grey Jedi has the same impact I think that might be nicer for people to read. What kinds of character do you think might work in this story (or even just in fanfic in general!)

A pretty good bad guy or a pretty bad good guy?

Findswoman likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @gaarastar58 - Based on A Cold Day on a Pike, I am leaning towards Tok, but making his motivation dog-oriented in some way, given how close he was to his companion in the last story.

I'm finding inspiration in the John Wick sequel where he comes out of retirement to avenge his slain dog; or the old Sith is running or cares about a dog shelter in the city, and the best way to secure it , is to protect the whole city. The city could pay for his services with a puppy, just as the Clone Army creation in the Prequels paid Jango with an unaltered clone kid.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Tok, please. We LOVED him!

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh man, even though I am happy to limit myself to an update minimum of 200 words, I'm still torn between four different projects

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm a bad influence. [face_dancing]

Sith-I-5 and divapilot like this.
  16. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    The pretty bad good guy gets my vote - and the aforementioned dog (or other pet) being a weak spot to bring empathy to the character always holds true for me.[face_pig][face_monkey][face_cow][face_chicken]

divapilot and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    That's amazing! You must have tremendous ability to compartmentalize.^:)^

EAD: Aw dang, double post. Just caught up in the enthusiasm ...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    It happens. But as long as one does not make a habit of double posting, "Oops" is usually sufficient contrition to avoid a scolding. :)

pronker and Sith-I-5 like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Okay, I need something weird - a droid name that can be read as one of the GFFA expletives. Retconning the earlier chapters of my oldest fic and I need a replacement for an earthism.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe: S1-TH

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Sounds good. If there's nothing that can be pronounced as a bad word, I'll use it. :)

22. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    THAT ONE IS PRICELESS. Plus, it *can* be used during the OT era. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Findswoman likes this.
  24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Always happy to help if I can.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, I am writing this at six-thirty in the morning in a bath tub, while somewhat sleep-deprived - sorry if I make no sense.

In one of my Ewok stories, I had a whole romantic chapter, that took from December 2014 to June 2014 to write. I basically pulled a "The Rocker Chair", as per example listed in Fanfic FAQ, just...the other way round. It probably scar(r)ed some lurkers for life, but it was very primal, in character for my canon OTP, and therefore important. And I got good feedback for that chapter. :)

Well, now I need to do that again. In a different story, for political and sociological reasons. Not even kidding, not looking for an excuse, it's vital to character's development and general lack of knowledge. Then it becomes somewhat of a motif, but it's never given the spotlight again. It's not exploitative in any way.

The thing is - I am not a "bonus content" kind of a person, the only thing I ever censored was obvious swearing in my Jar Jar as the absolute lord and master AU, as it borrowed elements from the infamous 30 Hs and I had to name Harry Potter's alleged guitar SOMEHOW. And then I forgot to fix that for AO3 and FF.net and insert a bunch of F-bombs.

What I have drafted (this won't be posted before the Summer) is absolutely tasteful. No graphic descriptions, no IKEA. I rely on what happens in the POV character's mind and how the characters FEEL, but anybody older than twelve - unless they were clueless like I was at their age - will pretty much figure out what's up. And it's actually tamer than the FAQ example.

And I saw a story do that, on here, in what I think was 2014. Very subtly, but the POV character was not an ingenue - which makes a huge difference.

So, I was wondering if, well, stuff, looks more serious to people if the characters are Humans?! Or the other way round?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.