main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2018 Awards Customer Service Desk (Rules and FAQ thread is stickied!) ** VOTING CLOSED **

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jan 6, 2018.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The following was added to the Rules and FAQ post. We hope that this doesn't happen, but it was something that occurred to us we needed to make known:

(Added under nominations section)
    We know there are a lot of categories and a lot of stories to nominate, so we expect there may be a few nomination mistakes. But at a certain point those mistakes can create too much work for the volunteers. If there are 5 or fewer mistakes we will PM you and ask for new nominations. If there are more, we will throw out the incorrect nominations and not PM you for corrections.

By nomination mistake we mean you nominated something that isn't eligible due to winning in past awards, is outside eligibility timeline, or doesn't follow the general rules. (Such as the rule below that as a general rule, the author is always right about the era and type of story they've written.)

Mistakes such as forgetting to put an author in your nomination, or misspelling the title do not count toward this total, but PLEASE make sure you read the instructions on how to nominate. Those things might not seem like a big deal, but they add up when you are checking and indexing many nominations.

Findswoman , Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oh, darn. I have a joke genre somewhere. Better fix that. [face_tee_hee]

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a question about the timeframe categories, because it's sometimes not easy to put an exact date on a story. For instance when we say "Best Story Between 32 and 19 BBY" and "Best Story Between 18 and 1BBY" it's safe to understand those respectively as "Best story that takes place up to the end of RotS" and "Best story that takes place after the end of RotS", right? (meaning, I'm sure there were a few months of 19 BBY to go after the end of RotS, but for the purpose of the awards I can pretend that there weren't unless the author put a date on their story that translates to "after the end of RotS but still in 19 BBY")

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    What if registered in previous years? Do we need to register again?

6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    An addendum to my question above: I just noticed that the last two timeframe categories are phrased:
    • Best Story Between 5ABY and 34 ABY and Best Story After 35 ABY in the category list
    • Best Story Between 5ABY and 33 ABY and Best Story After 34 ABY in the category definitions
    ... which places TFA/TLJ fics in different timeframe categories depending on which category definition we follow [face_worried] Can you please clarify under which category we should nominate ST fics?

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    My.head.is.spinning.right.now. [face_dunno]

@DaenaBenjen42 - I'm pretty positive that you have to register.

divapilot likes this.
  8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes. If there's no exact date then yeah, go with "19 BBY = RotS" and something after the end credits would be "18ABY" (for the purposes of the awards)

And if a story doesn't fit nicely in one timeframe category, perhaps consider the multi-timefame (so if a significant portion takes place during ROTS but continues on after the final scene).

Sorry, we changed it during the planning edited one and not the other. The definition is the correct one so everything should now read:

Best Story Between 5ABY and 33 ABY
    Best Story 34 ABY and beyond

Yes. Unlike previous years, you will get a code this year.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  9. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Diary entries from any challenge, finished or not, are worthy of nomination, right?:ahsoka:

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, as long as they were posted in the eligibility time frame and the diary hasn't won previous awards (I mean fanfic awards, not the DDC), a diary is eligible .

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, I might be stupid here, but I still don't get the following about the series category:

1. Is a series eligible if new stories are included?

2. Is a story from a series that continued last year (while the rest of the stories in the series that won't didn't/are completed) eligible?

3. Is a story that won a different kind of an award last year eligible as a part of a series, despite not being available otherwise?

Findswoman likes this.
  12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes. If a story was added to the series with in the eligibility period, it is eligible for best series.

Yes, so long as something within the series falls in the eligibility requirements, it is eligible as a series. Unless it won best series previously, then it needs a new story added within the eligibility period to be eligible, not just a continuation.

Yes. Per the FAQ:

Findswoman likes this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Okay, NOW I finally get it. :p I wish I had waited until January to post it, like I had intended to. Ohwell, it won one award and I'm happy. Thank you. [face_love]

mavjade likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Reminder! You have two weeks from today to get your nominations in! We need more nominations!

Please, if possible, don't wait until the last minute to get your nominations submitted. We are hoping to have a quick turn around between nominations and voting, however, if we have a large influx of nominations during the last few days, we may have to alter our schedule to give us time to check and double check everything.

Just as a fresher, here is the schedule as of now:

Nominations end: 11:59pm PST Friday, February 2nd
    Voting begins: Monday, February 5th
    Voting ends: 11: 59pm PST Sunday, March 18th **
    Awards Announced: Tentatively start on Tuesday, March 20th

pronker, Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I popped in for precisely that data, @Briannakin .

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's also in the Awards Rules thread - in the first post so you really don't have to scroll much to find it.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I meant to go there, but because this thread has the word "Rules" in the title, I clicked on this link.

I realise it refers to the other thread, but my finger had its own ideas.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I can't promise that I won't be that one annoying person. [face_blush] But I have good reasons - about 50-60 stories to go through.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's fine if some people don't get their nominations in till the end, we are kinda expecting it, but if EVERYONE does, then it kinda will be a bit of a headache.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Gah! I copied-pasted something in the wrong box on the LAST PAGE of the survey and clicked OK before I realised I was in the wrong place. Do I have to restart from scratch?

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    No, just PM us with the correct info.

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Stupid question: where would a Rogue One story fall: Best Story Between 18 and 1BBY OR
    Best Story Between 0ABY and 4 ABY?

Since it’s not technically ABY. I’m gonna say between 0 ABY and 4 ABY, but I figured I’d check with the experts.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    A Rogue One story would fall under Best Story Between 18 and 1BBY, unless it takes place after R1 credits. Just using the above logic, beginning of ANH = 0ABY and anything before the opening crawl of ANH is BBY. If that makes any sense. If you are still confused, PM one of us with the story and we will try to give you an answer.

divapilot likes this.
  24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Gotcha. Thank you!

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Doesn't ABY basically start the moment Luke blasts the Death Star?