main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    It was for TFA. haha But I've seen some people, though few, still say he's not a main character after TLJ. IDGI either.

civilsecret and Darkspellmaster like this.
  2. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    @mlsw lots of good things said on your page 16 post. I want to come back to that but on my phone atm due to computer needing to be looked at. Darn you Windows 7, and dang MS patches.

About the music score. Part of the game development class that I teach has a section on scoring a game and part of it talks about the differences between game scoring and film scoring.

While John Williams may not see the film in its finished form he certainly has seen it out of chronological order. When a composer scores a film one of the things that happens is they get the edited, incomplete of say sound effects or VFX, scenes so they can get a feel for the moments and lay a track down. This means that John probably picked and chose the music based on what notes he had from Rian and the others and how he saw the scene. I agree that its clear that Poe meeting Rey has a very Luk/Leia Esb vibe to it, but it's also very sweeping, so I'm not sure 100% what thematically (siblings, friends, other) he's going for because ESB we don't know where they were gonna go with Luke aNd Leia. I mean now we know but back then...

So I'd be happy for it to be seen as romantic, but also totally fine with just close friends as a theme. Clearly as was said by others Poe and Rey are the future in the sense of the Skywalkers.

Also as ReySky fan, yeah, totally okay with this.

panki likes this.
  3. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think some of it comes from some hoping that Ben or Rose will take number 3 spot. For me it's clear that Poe is representing Leia here thus a main.

panki and CosmicDust like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I'll be interested to see how Rey and Poe work off each other.

Jazz9276, civilsecret, panki and 3 others like this.
  5. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    @cappoe @Darkspellmaster Let's put it this way...
    I think that if we focus on one relationship only, plot, theme, mystery, whatever, we may miss the big picture.
    I believe in fact that in the end all of them have to come to a satisfying and more importantly unifying end.

And that is why I disagree about TFA with @CosmicDust (sorry :) ).
    Because I think that the script, the arcs, the shoots, the lines...as I tried to say here
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...g-forward-in-ix.50047334/page-7#post-54763389
    prove that everything was deeply thought even when it comes to Poe and Rey.

But the fact itself that people knew the "Poe was suppose to die" thing, etc..
    to me prevented many of us to pay attention to things/details that are worth to be
    discussed and that - imo - are hidden in plain sight in that movie

However, just because I try to look at all the "picture" I believe that at this point, what is
    almost a given, is not a romance.

Coming into IX (that is also the last chapter of all the saga) it has to be the theme of
    the Skywalker's legacy: of the surrogate heirs on one side and Ben/Kylo on the other.

Because this ties with the theme "Blood does not matter", which is a main theme of this ST:

Because 8 ends, with the Jedi and the Rebellion re-born (the force sensive kid with the Rebellion ring).
    And in 8, as promised by 7, the torch was taken by Poe in Rebellion and by Rey among
    the Jedi. While Kylo is the new Supreme Leader.

Because this all ties with Ben/Kylo's arc, where we left him in 8 and where we met him in 7:
    interrogating both Poe and Rey.
    As I said elsewhere, it's like according to Jung, the mask = the persona
    Kylo facing the true self (his family's legacy as a whole: the light they rapresent in the republic and among the jedi).
    Those scenes are perfect, if watched in retrospect.

Because 7 underlined the surrogate father Han+Rey relationship.
    8 underlined the surrogate mother Leia+Poe relationship.

I can go on, of course, and add all the things we've said about 8.
    Again, not only the beacon and the meeting scene, but how the arcs mirror each other
    Luke-Rey and Leia-Poe; and Poe and Kylo when it comes to taking the leadership...
    And in this context what I said about the music... makes even more sense.

However, that is not to say that I don't see a romance... I do. I won't be surprised.
    But I don't think it's needed and I don't think there's enough to think is a given.
    There's enough to speculate, and ship if one wants to :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    civilsecret, Jazz9276, panki and 2 others like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    it might have to do with the fact that Poe was originally meant to die.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    It was for TFA. haha But I've seen some people, though few, still say he's not a main character after TLJ. IDGI either.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I mean, after seeing TFA, I thought that Rey, Finn, and BB-8 were the central trio of that story. While I wanted to see Poe get more to do and interact with the others more in the sequels (and still do want to see the core heroes -- Rey, Finn, Poe, and Rose -- work together in Episode 9), I was honestly more interested in seeing Rey reconnect with BB-8 than then seeing her meet Poe. I think it was a decently handled introduction (irregardless of what kind of relationship you think they will have in Episode 9/any future movies/any future tie-ins).

However, I think the setup in TFA makes me far more invested in the relationships that Rey, Finn, and BB-8 have, there's more history to it. (On the other hand, I am invested in Poe and I do care about Rose's place in the core hero group after only one movie, so I think that by the end of Episode 9, I could be quite invested with Poe as member of the group and not just as the great character who also happens to be friends with Finn, if that makes any sense.)

Personally, I think that all the core characters are different enough that they don't really fill the slots of the previous core casts.

If I had to stick some of them anywhere, I think that Rey has elements of Luke (the young Force user coming into their own and Leia (the [primary] female member of the group), Finn is kinda like Han ("outsider joins the cause" story arc) but is unique in every other way, Poe is a composite of Han (the hotshot with a mouth) and Leia (the loyal solider in the cause, Kylo is Darth Vader (the main villain), and Rose has Lando's role (the core character introduced in the second chapter, but, like Finn, is here own character. So, I think that we have four main heroes and a main villain.

Darkspellmaster, panki and CosmicDust like this.
  8. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    DP

9. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018
    That is a complete load of BS. Especially cause they've made it clear whom is the trio is. The only people that don't think Poe's a member of the trio are the ones pushing him out for the villain. Poe is 100% a member of the trio. He was the first one we were introduced to, and he's absolutely a main character. He had one of the only two storylines in TLJ where he was a main character of it.

The trio is Rey, Poe, and Finn. Kylo plays the Vader role. He is not a member of the trio nor will he ever be.

10. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    So was Ron Weasley in Book 5 of Harry Potter, in doesn't change the fact that he's a member of the trio.

11. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me or not, but I just want to say that I don't think he's a glorified Wedge, just that it's something I've seen and it's common. It's partly why Poe really needed a story line away from Finn because he struck some people as more of a supporting character than a main character. He needed a character arc and development away from Finn, which TLJ achieved, and the effect is that it clears up confusion about who the ST trio is.

Darkspellmaster and panki like this.
  12. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I'd ship Poe and Rey hard. However I kind of feel the greatest love story in TLJ was Poe and BB-8.

Rey does need to watch her back. From BB-8.

Hell hath not fury like that of a droid scorned.

oncafar and Darkspellmaster like this.
  13. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I personally ship Rey/BB-8 in all seriousness and I am hoping we see BB-8 wondering how to deal with both Poe and Rey in his life at the same time. Will he feel like he needs to choose? Seeing how BB-8 was as excited to blow things up as Poe, but he was a little calmer around Rey, might BB-8 be trying to be more charming around Rey? Will Poe notice? Will Poe troll him?

Darkspellmaster and mlsw like this.
  14. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Seeing as BB-8 was planning to leave the Resistance and adopt Rey as his new master by the time they got to Takodana -- under the assumption that Poe was dead -- (TFA junior novelization) and seemed happy to see her again in TLJ, I don't think she's got anything to worry about, if Rey/Poe does indeed become a thing (the merits of which or lack thereof I shall not discuss right now).

15. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    BB-8 sees Poe and Rey as it's parents. The relationship it has with them is much different with everyone else and we saw that highlighted in this movie. I look at BB-8 as their kid. With anyone else he wants to be the hero and save everyone, but with Poe and Rey he wants attention and affection.

16. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    @WebLurker

I think that the real problem is that this time around you don't have only 3 main actors/charaters (PT)
    and/or 3 main actors/charaters and a mask. (OT).
    With the ST the directors and LF have to do something that SW never did.
    Using and giving a spot to 4 main characters and great actors. In addition they also have/had to use and give
    something to do to Han/H. Ford; Luke/M. Hamill and... Leia/C. Fisher.

We know what the plan was with Han, Luke, Leia.
    We know that the "hero" is Rey...
    I think - comparing TFA and TLJ - that they may use each movie to underline
    one "Rey + one of 3 male leads" relationship.
    I'd say not only it's the same kind of choice they made with the old heroes..
    but it seems to follow the same path.

7-> Han and Finn: the "ordinary" people whose fate suddenly change.
    8-> Luke and Kylo: the Force etc...
    9-> Leia and Poe: the Resistance/Rebellion/Republic thus the war and the end of it.

Not that I'm sure, of course.
    But it's a chance. And another reason to take this thread seriusly ;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Jazz9276 and Darkspellmaster like this.
  17. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    This has to be sarcasm right. Through two films, it’s been established if anything that Poe Dameron and Rey are the caretakers of BB-8 for every mission and journey (except Canto Bight) Rey or Poe have been with them.

If anything Poe and Rey’s connection between each other can be drawn back to Rey meeting BB-8 on Jakku, and then set both them on a whirlwind adventure that led them to the Resistance (which includes Poe). The similarities between the arcs that some in this thread even draw into it as reasons for development between the two characters.

Poe tells BB-8 to hid (finds Rey on Jakku)
    Rey doesn’t sell BB-8, eventually learns who his “master” is (thanks to Poe’s jacket Finn is wearing)
    Rey tells Han Solo (BB-8) needs to get back to the Resistance because of the map to Luke Skywalker, which is also where Poe is (we saw that reunion)
    Is with Poe on the assault on Starkiller Base
    Is standing between Poe and Rey (although they never officially met) when the map is illuminated on D’Qar.

Is with Poe for the assault on the Dreadnaught
    Is sent with Finn by Poe to Canto Bight, reunites with Poe on Crait and Rey on the Millennium Falcon.

Now there is a story being told here, as R2D2 told Luke Skywalker story and the story of the Skywalker’s, BB-8 is doing the same except he’s doing it for two characters Poe Dameron and Rey. Every adventure by the two he’s been there (except Rey on the Supremacy) this is symbolic in that the way they met, because the groundwork has been developed to the meeting.

Similar arcs (torture, BB-8, loss of family, surrogate mentors/parents Han and Leia, growing up with failure, ascending to responsibly because it was necessary, Pilots, mechanics etc. etc.) The “I know” moment was bigger than I believe some realize, because what it means for them, the Resistance and the future of their story arcs.

BB-8 is not a droid scorned. I bet he’s enjoying this journey as much as Rey and Poe are now.

Jazz9276, cappoe and Darkspellmaster like this.
  18. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    It was. It doesn't translate well on message boards.

I like the above reference about by-8 seeing Poe and Rey as his parents

19. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    That's crazy talk. Rey and Kylo are the main characters. Kylo might be the number one main character, although I personally wouldn't go that far.

I mean, Poe is barely in TFA.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Yora likes this.
  20. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Rey is the main character.
    Ben Solo is the Skywalker and main antagonist (i.e. villian)
    The Big Three is Rey, Finn and Poe just as in the original trilogy it was Luke, Han and Leia (not Darth Vader)

21. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    There is no big three.

That said, I'm not ruling out that Poe can become a bigger character, and did to some extent in TLJ.

Yora likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Kylo played a bigger role then Poe.

Yora likes this.
  23. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    This isn’t the Ben Solo/Kylo Ren thread can we please stay on topic.

So Poe Dameron and Rey are with Finn the defacto leaders of the Resistance. It’ll be exciting how the weave together Poe and Rey’s stories because of each characters individual focus (Force plot, Resistance plot) and how both will work to achieve the common goal destruction of the First Order.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope Finn and Rey are not de facto leaders they have barely been there more then a few days.

wequre and Rhyoth like this.
  25. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Eh, Vader wasn't really a character in Episode 4. He was the ultimate threat and nothing else. He walked around choking people, giving threats as his cape swished majestically. So it was much easier to do this in threes. Kylo is a character from the off. I don't think the old format works anymore.

Yora likes this.