main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga To those who think the ST killed Star Wars, how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BoulderFaceplant, Jan 19, 2018.

1. BoulderFaceplant

BoulderFaceplant Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2017
    This thread is for people whose enthusiasm for Star Wars was severely diminished by the ongoing sequel trilogy. Growing up, I loved the franchise, but for so many different reasons, TFA and TLJ just took my love for Luke, Han, and Leia and destroyed it, at least as it pertains to those movies. They’re mediocre films to begin with, and TLJ is an absolute disaster of a Star Wars movie. I’ve seen a few people who share this mindset, and to those I ask, how are you coping with this? How can you salvage your love for Star Wars when the official canon has gone so bad? We can go back to our books and video games, but going forward the damage is catastrophic.

My best bet is to lay low and bunker down until a new trilogy gets made that’s chronologically far removed from the Lucas era. It’s a harsh reality to face, but until that happens, Star Wars is just a finished franchise for me.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I see it no different from the EU before it, so I simply discard it.

3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The Original Six are still there to enjoy. Rogue One is a keeper.

I essentially cope the same as I would have had the ST not been made. Enjoying what I already like.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the next Star Wars trilogy as the person that stuck a fork in the current SW trilogy is heading up that one.

Perhaps I will go into the ST like George Clooney Batman. Accept that is laughably bad and laugh at it.

Coping is pretty easy.

4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Because I do not believe that it is technically possible to kill the accomplishments, wonders and awe of the Original Trilogy, there's no need for myself to cope with the inadequacy of the ST.

If anything, it emphasizes the qualities of the Original Trilogy and - if in doubt - stimulates 're-appreciation' of the OT. ;)

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Exactly how I treat the PT... This is the way to go TS! Just watch the films you like and forget the rest = pretty simple.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "I don't think so. No one can kill Star Wars!"

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I agree with Lt. Hija & Jester J Binks. :D I also love the OT even more now than previously. Besides sticking to the parts of the OT I love, Rogue One is something I enjoyed, as was some novels put out like Ahsoka & Thrawn. Those are what I like to call "sandwich" novels [face_laugh] -- they dovetail nicely into whatever canon because they're strictly in the Rebellion proper era [face_thinking] And I do love Rebels. :D But to top off and what keeps my SW love burning are fanfictions! There are AUs of the original EU canon, AUs of the Disney ones, and complete mashups, blends of the two LOL

:cool:

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I do not think it killed Star Wars. If I did I would still have 6 great movies to love though.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I spend my time figuring out how and when I am going to ban those who bash and flame other users opinions. :p

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force as my ending for the Skywalker/Solo family.
    And go back and read DNT/LOTF/FOTJ/Legacy comics and enjoy them even more now.

11. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    With deathsticks

jimkenobi likes this.
  12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Even though the ST hasn't really been my cup of tea so far I don't think anything can kill Star Wars. I mean the series survived the Holiday Special after all.

In any case, I always have the 6 original films and Rogue One to enjoy not even taking into account the wealth of video games, tv shows, books and comics from both canon and legends to invest in.

crapiola and Darkslayer like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    TLJ lessened my anticipation for E9 but the Season 4 second half of the season trailer for Rebels kicked things back up for me.
    Looking forward to the Visual Dictionary for the Han Solo movie as well. Expand the Corellian system.
    And I've got a fan-fic series where Anakin Solo survives SBS. So engaging.

lookameatbag likes this.
  14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    It didn’t kill it for me but it did make me watch the films passively rather than active. I have no reason to be involved.

15. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    As someone who likes all previous Star Wars movies, TLJ was a disappointment. TFA had a good setup but TLJ doesn't address any questions raised in the last movie and makes the universe feel smaller than it usually is. All this new trilogy is is an uninspired remake of the OT that has no direction whatsoever and at this point, It wouldn't surprise me if Episode IX's climax had the Resistance fight the First Order fleet above Starkiller Base II. Star Wars isn't completely dead to me however, there's still Legends for me to fall back on, any story in the new canon that's not set after ROTJ, I'm still interested in and I'm still waiting for a video game company that's not EA to work with the license.

The only way I feel that could make Star Wars great again is if they just do a franchise reboot. I'm not talking about what the ST did where they reused plot points from the OT, but have it set in a universe separate from the films we have now, maybe have new actors portray the characters of the OT but have a new storyline set in place. I know a reboot of Star Wars wouldn't top the classics in any way but we've had some good remakes in the past like Scarface and The Thing and if a remake of Star Wars were to ever happen and they get the right people work on it, we should have something to look forward to.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  16. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    SW survived after the debacle that is the PT. It will go on. I for one love RO and the ST. I start at RO and move forward through the timeline in order. Those that hate the ST should just start where they like and stop after ROTJ. Simple.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Avnar like this.
  17. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I go back and watch Episodes 1-6 and stop after ROTJ, thereby ignoring the ST altogether (with reasoning that they feel to me like fan films and thus don't fit in with Lucas' original vision). But I agree that the ST has ruined my interest in the old EU canon, now that Lucasfilm and Disney have effectively killed all the time I invested in those old stories because they "don't matter" now.

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It really is that simple isn't it? The fandom used to be divided into PT vs OT (Thank God that's over) ...but now with so many films there will be people that only watch certain combinations because the other films are just not for them -

ANH by itself (The original SW only. My dad - Just loves the first one and that's it!) [face_hypnotized]
    ANH and TESB (They hate ROTJ)
    ANH, TESB, ROTJ (OT only)
    RO, ANH, TESB, ROTJ (RO + OT)
    TPM, AOTC, ROTS (PT only) [face_hypnotized]
    TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, TESB, ROTJ (GL six only)
    RO, ANH, TESB, ROTJ, TFA, TLJ (BadAcrobat...and me! :cool:)
    TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, TESB, ROTJ, TFA, TLJ (Saga films only)
    TFA, TLJ (ST films only - Do these fans exist??)
    All of them! (These guys have it the best - They love it all haha)

I think I covered all groups...?? [face_thinking] Just watch the ones you like!!

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU and ST are alternate timelines. How can the ST kill your love for the EU?

Darkslayer, {Quantum/MIDI} and Avnar like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You would be banning quite a lot of users. :p

Bazinga'd likes this.
  21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The thought has crossed my mine once or twice. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    How do I cope? I go outside.

....Sometimes.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Once or twice a week? :p

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Let's not get too ambitious. It's cold out there.

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    When I don't like some movies in a saga (not necessarily just for SW) I just focus on those I like or I read/watch other things and it works perfectly.