main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    I fully understand this, I'm just saying it never made sense to me at least to go RIGHT over to IDW who has never made a Star Wars book before, instead of going to Dark Horse. The only explanation I could see is that IDW and Marvel are both in social politic 'movements' right now. But for the sake of this thread lets not get into that.

2. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's just because Disney already had a relationship with IDW for producing comics aimed at younger readers.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "I'm going to throw out random accusations that imply more about me than anything else, but for the sake of this thread I don't want anybody to respond."

[face_plain]

Jamie1001, BigAl6ft6, AV-6R7 and 5 others like this.
  4. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    whatever man.

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Not his fault that you assume """Social Movements""" are the cause instead of the blatant connection of IDW working with Disney before on series like Duck Tales.

6. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    I just think it's kind of interesting to start to discuss it, if I said we shouldn't because it's controversial.

So maybe you could respect that and just stop talking about it :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  7. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Aww, Lemnos (from FoD: Hera) looks straight outta Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics. Kinda like Rotor the Walrus. They're both mechanics, even!

[​IMG]

Can I pretend Lemnos and Dorae (from the Han Solo mini) are both Selonian, even though they look very different? I can't choose between their designs. Straight-up otter Lemnos is so cute and otter-cross-white Bengal Dorae is badass.

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    (Speaking of Selonians, we can no longer call Dorae one on WP now. There was a vote, and the community has decided, to my great dismay, not to take authorial intent into account... -_- )

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Could that be a Ranat? It looks more like an otter for sure, but it's also different from the Selonians as established in canon.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ranat

The funny thing is, Selonians in Legends look like Lemnos and the character that we have confirmed as a Selonian in Han Solo. So, two different versions of the same species in both continuities. Maybe they could be distinguished as different sub-species of Selonian like there are two sub-species of Nikto?

EDIT:
    I just saw your post. In that case, we don't know what Selonian's look like in canon.

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I saw that [face_sigh]Bleh. (Relevant Twitter discussion thread with Story Group's Matt Martin, for anyone curious.) I meant to write a post about that for the Wook thread but eh... effort. Anyway, I hope I don't derail this thread with that. So, you folks who are more familiar with Hera and Rebels than me -- what did you think of the latest FoD issue? I enjoyed it and found Zhou entertaining. (He looks exactly like how I would've imagined him if I had read this in script form instead of a finished comic.) These IDW series have had some darling art in places.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wait, the "Selonian" in the Han Solo series looks literally exactly like the Selonians in SWTOR, at least.

[​IMG]

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Yes, that's what I was saying. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. The Selonians in Legends have two "versions" to my knowledge - one like the one in SWTOR you posted, and a second one that's slightly different from the one in SWTOR:
    [​IMG]

In canon it is the same. The "Selonian" in Han Solo looks the same as the one in SWTOR, and Lemnos (to me at least) looks more like the Selonian from the cover above, except smaller. Therefore, two Selonian varieties in both Legends and canon (although according to LelalMekha's post currently unconfirmed).

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    It was a great Hera story. Was right in line with her characterization from Rebels and I thought it was a nice addition to her history. The art was fantastic in the issue and I can’t get enough of Elsa’s B covers on the Forces of Destiny mini run.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Rose Star Wars adventures issue was interesting to see her saving the day by being a mechanic and the back up with Anakin and his pod racing losing, once again, was pretty fun. I did a wee bit mental gymnastics to fit the Rose story in between TFA and TLJ but it does work if one assumes there was a stretch of time in between Rey leaving D'Qar and landing on Ach-To where the Last Jedi kicks off. So it seems like she was in hyperspace maybe half a day (the mention in this story about Rose needing to get to sleep) so that's where Rose's story / the beginning of the evacuation took place, leading into the start of Last Jedi where it's interrupted by the First Order arriving

15. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I am fairly certain the Rose story takes place prior to Force Awakens.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The only reason I would think it's in between is because they're already prepping for evacuation at the start of the story.

17. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Hmm, maybe you are right then.

The interpersonal relationships seems to indicate the Resistance is fairly new.

18. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    The Forces of Destiny Leia comic was sooo good, one of the better comics so far. I hope the series continues to go the route that made this issue good.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Hera FoD comic was pretty solid and surprisingly had a bit of depth and actually rather dialogue heavy and some interesting perspective tricks (like Hera making her speech to the crew while their plan was being acted out), considering how straightforward the past 2 issues were. And not that I don't want Hera to have her own comic someday but if she doesn't this would be, like, the only Hera-starring comic ever, which would make it kinda valuable to collectors! So, yay!

tatooinesandworm and Outsourced like this.
  20. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Wait, Hera is out? Is there a list for when each of these comics releases?

21. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    January 3rd: Leia
    January 10th: Rey
    January 17th: Hera
    January 24th: Ahsoka & Padme
    January 31st: Paige & Rose

22. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    and sill waiting in uk for sw adv 5 and all the above ! whats the hold up IDW ? or is this fobidden planet fault ;)

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Forces of Destiny - Ahsoka & Padmé preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Vthuil and tatooinesandworm like this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_waiting]

Oh it's gonna be one of those issues.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    2 (mostly) adaptations and 3 original stories. Eh, better than what I thought it would be when it was first announced.