main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Right, I've got a negative view of The Last Jedi, and feel that every time I come on to this board, it's for negative comments.

So, what did I actually like about TLJ?

1. Luke's look during his force projection - he looked awesome.
    2. Luke's force projection trolling Kylo and the 'see you around, kid' line.
    3. The Empire Strikes Back-stye Yoda.
    4. The Pretorian guards were pretty cool.

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Kylo killing Snoke is a twist I never expected. And Luke being a projection is the second twist I also never expected.

People were talking about how the middle episode always needs a twist, well, we got two big ones in TLJ.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Loved all the puppet shots of Yoda, but his first Blue Yoda is some PT-level CG. To me, at least.

4. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    While im glad you liked Yoda and Lukes force projection because i loved it also, i dont understand the backhand approach by prefacing your liking with stating you negatively disliked the film. Its paramount to saying, Hi, I like your eyes but youre ugly which invalidates the positive comment to begin with.....Im hoping to see less of that style of commentary here moving forward unless im mistaking your commentary as sarcasm - at any rate i cant tell.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    RiddleMeThis likes this.
  5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    You know, to put it bluntly, I simply don't care about the people who hated TLJ. I think some of these people are dead set focused on hating the film and that's that. I was going to work on a review for the film for another message board....but not anymore. I just can't be bothered now. I'd be investing myself in something that wouldn't be appreciated or properly digested. So screw it and screw them. I'm just sticking to posting about Star Wars here on these forums.

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    One thing that hit me today for the first time was just how happy I am to have had so many quality moments with Leia in this film before Fisher’s passing.

It’s not just that I finally got to see a cool Force power from her in a moment of pure instinct but some other good stuff like her interactions with Holdo. We’d seen Leia so often around men we really never got to see her around a friend that was a woman. It was warm. They seemed like old friends. I love that scene and seeing Leia like that again.

And when she speaks to Poe about heroism and how there are different ways to save the Light you can imagine the heroism shadow she’s been under in some ways as Luke Skywalker’s sister in that line the past 30 years. And yet she delivers that line with pride because she has reached a point of wisdom where she has no ego and doesn’t think about what might seem cool or heroic. She thinks about keeping as much of her band together and to grow it so that they can ultimately win.

I love that Johnson puts the blaster in her hands not once but twice. She blasts Poe for insubordination and is one of the first to shoot the shuttle sliding into the hanger doors when she thinks it’s an enemy.

Leia was a feminist icon for many young girls in the 1970s and 1980s and I’m really pleased her last film ever thankfully allowed for some great moments not only for her individually but also to interact with and setup another strong female leader in Holdo, and later a final moment with Luke.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    TFA is a fun film to watch, but I agree TLJ really made me think and I have looked back on what I saw in that movie and the themes it played with. It really is a wonder on its own.

Satipo, Starkiller17, robot_3 and 4 others like this.
  8. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    Another little thing: Kylo & Leia sensing each other. The quick dissolve-transitions back & forth looked exactly how they did when Luke & Vader/Luke & Leia sensed each other in ESB.

9. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Thank you for making this thread!

Mostly Handless and DL44Jo like this.
  10. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Just take it for what I said instead of reading in to it too much.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  11. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    I honestly don't understand the haters either, but I appreciate when they are willing to concede there were great things about the movie - especially when they list multiple things. It almost feels like they're honestly trying. Not that it's good to start out by saying how much they dislike it, but in a way it kind of gives more weight to what they do like.

Not sure where all this compassion for the 'bad guys' is coming from, but it may have something to do with me coming out of a rough night after my 39th birthday yesterday. I don't think it had anything to do with my age, but it was rough non the less. That's honestly what brought me here tonight. To get my mind off things.

Funny thing is the way I've been feeling tonight I started thinking about that scene with Yoda and how Luke was feeling. I can relate. So I tried to give myself Yoda's pep talk. Heh! I get the feeling that scene is relevant to a lot of people right now. Leave it to Yoda to be there when we need him.

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Luke- I really liked the way he was depicted although many seem to disagree...

13. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    I liked the force projection idea, giving Jedi new powers is interesting.

VanLiz and DL44Jo like this.
  14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I love the sequence where Hux says “He’s insane.”

And then it’s just like this awesome wide shot from the bridge and Poe’s black and bronze X-Wing is just zigging and zagging in the distance blasting those cannons one after the other and you see Hux’s happiness change.

Also love Poe’s daring moment when he turns vertical and those Ties smash right into what he flies through.

Poe’s not the wisest leader in the Resistance despite his natural charm but as Kylo Ren said (and he’d know because he’s a heck of a pilot himself) Poe is the best pilot in the Resistance by a mile.

15. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Rewatched Rogue One and the first hour of ANH again yesterday and seeing how grumpy Luke is to everyone in it, really almost throughout, I retroactively appreciated grumpy Luke in Last Jedi way way more than in my last couple viewings. I look forward to watching TLJ yet again and digging that symmetry/rhyming. It takes some of the sting of some of the other stuff away lol.

To dig in a little more on this....it seems to tie in with Yoda's accusation that his head is never in the moment. In Episode IV he's impatient with the situations he's in (farm boy bored) so he can get to where he wants to be (starpilot). In Episode VIII he's impatient with the situations he's in (having failed, now exiled on Ahch-To) so he can to where he wants to be (becoming one with the Force after ceremonially ending the Jedi). He's ambivalent because he has good impulses too but it's cool that Yoda identifies one of his lifelong flaws as a through-line because it helps make sense of Luke's arc.....In episode 4 he is playing with his T-16 toy, in episode 8 he looks out on the coastline of the Island.....similar longing for something other than the immediate situation he is in. Perhaps similarly, his vision of a new Jedi order may have stopped him from handling the situation of apprentices he had in front of him like Kylo, optimally.

-T

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    There’s some great little decisions and directing choices in the stables on Canto Bight.

The first shot of the Falthiers Heads coming to the Gates. It’s totally 1980s practical effects magic there.

When Broom boy first sees them and is tempted to sound the alarm and then Rose says “We’re with the Resistance” and gives the ring.

Then they’re off and the red-haired little girl is so happy. It’s like this is the most fun and exiting thing that’s happened to those kids in their whole lives. The way the shot sort of tracks in on her reminds me of Spielberg.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The First Order ripping the Resistance ships to shreds during the opening battle. War isn’t pretty. It’s not a fairytale and isn’t going to work out exactly as you want it to. They took down the Dreadnaught but Leia was right - Poe should’ve backed off. There are more days than today. His actions put a big dent in their fleet.

18. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Has anyone posted:

"Let the past die. It's the only way you can become what you're meant to be"

It's one of the best lines in all of Star Wars. It neatly sums up the entire conflict of the ST.

VanLiz, TK327 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  19. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    39 doesn't have to be so bad. Neither does 45.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    DL44Jo likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really loved when they go over the morally grey area of the galaxy and how people get very rich.

VanLiz likes this.
  21. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    The bit at the end when the credits roll, before that was 2.5 hours of wasted time.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  22. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    There's no need for that. Post that kind of stuff in the complaints thread.

23. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    Agree. Our audience went crazy when the scene cut to Luke levitating on the rock during my first watch. It was simply EPIC!

VanLiz, DL44Jo, Ody_Mandrell and 2 others like this.
  24. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Haha yeah and I have siblings older than that and we're all kids at heart. That's why I said I don't think my age had anything to do with my mood. And I don't mind turning 40 next year - I welcome it. It's good being from the original trilogy era as well - honestly that's one of the things I'm most grateful for. haha No disrespect to later generations but it's true.

Well, to get back to the reason we're here... I loved the music playing when Leia is pulling herself back into the ship with the Force. Major feel good chills every time. Also, love that the name of that ship is the Raddus. Homage to the best admiral we'll ever know.

25. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I love the whole Kylo and Leia sensing each other scene ala Vader and Luke from TESB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.