main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is anyone interested in learning more about Dr. Cylo?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'd love to see the story of Cylo, the scientist from the Darth Vader comics. I thought he was awesome and the mad scientist of the Star Wars galaxy

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Well I suppose he would have been interesting without the clone bodies. I feel he and his clones are literally among the worst elements of the new canon. After all the criticism clone Palpatine got in the EU, why did someone think someone far less powerful than Palpatine cloning himself would be a good idea?

And yes, I know there's a throwaway line that says he's a program. But look how he acts, talks, thinks--plots against Vader, boasts about being more man than machine (as opposed to Vader), and thinks on the good old days of building Vader's suit. It's just clone bodies all over again. At least with Palpatine it was believable he has the Force power and the resources to do this--but not this Cylo guy.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Not like there's an army of pre-programmed clones that was made or anything.

It's honestly kind of ridiculous where people draw the line in Star Wars. Oh, it was OK for Palpatine to literally turn into a ghost and take over clones of himself, but someone using what is essentially a cloud backup to do something similar is going too far? We're in a galaxy with space wizards, laser guns, and cyborgs running around, but THIS is where we say enough is enough? Give me a break.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    There's a tiny hint/link in one of the adventures in wild space stories if I recall - a package that had the name cylo on it

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes. The cyborg spiders that the bounty hunter "The Shade" had to deliver somewhere were of Cylo make.

6. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Nope. If Marvel is going to do a deep character dive on a supporting character I demand it be about Hoojibs.
    That is my new favorite quote for SW Fandom
    This doesn't bother me at all. Acceptable Trope for cyborgs/androids or simulacrum a-la the Matrix, Aasimov, BSG, etc. This arc could have some fun and raise some real ruckus if he kept popping up in the Holo-Net and acting through proxies.

Noir Deux and Outsourced like this.
  7. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I would like to see some more of him in future also some of the other things he may have made. he could of been a good villain in the show rebels with all his contraptions ! he could have been the wile e coyote of star wars haha ;)

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Cylo and his creation were an interesting concept, but were very poorly executed. None of them proved to be any real match for Vader. Cylo himself was also a joke. He thought he knew so much, but Palpatine played him like a violin. Neither Cylo nor any of his creations knew that the Emperor was a Dark Lord of the Sith and immensely powerful in the Force. This in spite the fact that Cylo knew Vader was the Emperor's apprentice and a Dark Lord of the Sith leaves me with no interest in the mad scientist. He was foolish enough to think that his creations stood a chance against Vader, even after each one was defeated by him.

Karbin, Voidgazer and Morit were all dispatched with a minimum of fuss by Vader, each one of them more easily than the last. Aiolin was perhaps the only interesting one, as she recognized Vader's skill and power and asked to learn from him. She was of course killed shortly after that by her own brother. Just as she was starting to show a spark of potential. But I began to view Cylo as a joke when he tried to send a squad of grunts to capture Darth Sidious. How in the Galaxy did he not know that Palpatine was a Sith like Vader? Unlike the rest, he knew that Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith was the apprentice to Emperor Palpatine. One of the first facts about the Sith is that there are only two, a Master and an Apprentice. If Vader is the Apprentice, then Palpatine is the Master. Cylo must have known nothing about the Sith at all to not see that obvious fact.

sidv88 likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would like to learn more about him. Why was he so good at what he did?

10. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Silas Tagge from the original Marvel run was also a mad scientist of sorts, except he created outlandish weapons, where Cylo is more akin to a Doctor Frankenstein. I wouldn't mind seeing Cylo return in the main Star Wars title as an antagonist for our heroes.

11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Why do you think Cylo didn't know Palpatine was a Sith and a Force-user? I never inferred that from the narrative. He sat right there in issue #1 to overhear Palpatine refer to Vader as a Lord of the Sith and call him his apprentice. Even a mad scientist can put two and two together. He knew what both Palpatine and Vader were, he simply believed his technology had the edge over the Force.

Outsourced likes this.
  12. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Cylo and his minions weren't really that interesting or well developed, so I'm not too fussed about seeing them again. Vader made them look like fools!

13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Hmmm. Good point. I draw my conclusion mainly from the fact that Cylo thought a single squad of soldiers would be enough to capture the Emperor. If he knows Palpatine is a more powerful Sith Lord than Vader, how does he think that's going to work?

Cylo's seen firsthand how powerful Vader is. What kind of power does he think Vader's Master has?

I'm quite certain that Cylo had no idea that Palpatine actually had the Force. It's a running theme through that particular issue, where everyone thinks that the Emperor is a weak defenseless old man. That's why Aphra comes to "save" him. I still wish she hadn't though. I would've enjoyed seeing Sidious fry Cylo's grunts.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    sidv88 likes this.
  14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Cylo and his minions were my least favorite part of the otherwise great Vader series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidv88 likes this.
  15. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Maybe a little bit about his origin and the creation of Vader's suit. I still can't believe they allowed a Grievous with a Mon Calamari head...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I would like to see a reference to Cylo in the Darth Vader series by Soule, only because I do think it is relevant especially this early after ROTS.

Togruta and Senpezeco like this.
  17. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Cylo wasn't really a match for Vader, but then I don't think he was supposed to be. I think it was more about seeing how Vader dealt with him, and the anticipation of how/when he'll take him down. An anti-Force scientist who wants Vader's job... I mean, it can only be a matter of time.

I also liked the detail that Cylo was one responsible for Vader's cybernetics, though the comics never really made it clear whether or not he knew Vader was Anakin. It makes you wonder.

But other than being the "mad scientist" archetype, I think Cylo also had this sort of "flaky artist" thing to him, kind of like Jack Nicholson's Joker; dressing up in fancy clothes, having robo-whale ships, and... I still don't understand the Rodian eye. Just... I'm sorry, doctor. You totally deserved the "abomination" label Vader gave you.

They really should've made more issues of that series. Cylo and his crew totally could've been used in more stories.

18. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    I can see why someone might not like it, and don't see it as completely arbitrary of them. The Palpatine thing was at least the same sort of mystical space-magic Force stuff which has been part of the series from the beginning, and even that has a LOT of detractors.

The Cylo stuff is pretty much a cortical stack right out of Eclipse Phase or Altered Carbon. Most Star Wars tech doesn't stray too far from the old "it should make sense to people from the 40s/50s" rule which gives it a lot of its semi-anachronistic flavour. This sort of full-on 80s-00s cyberpunk transhuman resleeving kind of thing is obviously not going to feel 'Star Warsy' to a lot of people.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    El Jedi Colombiano and sidv88 like this.
  19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Not really. Cylo had no clue who Vader used to be.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Not sure I get your point there. That quote doesn't say he didn't know he was Anakin. Cylo is questioning what Vader is, not who he is.