main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I just realized that Alden is 5'9". Harrison Ford, and therefore Han Solo, is 6'1". How did this happen? How can they cast an actor a full 4 inches shorter? What's going to be Han Solo's official canon height, now?

2. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    ^^^Actually, Wookieepedia says Han Solo's height is 1.8 meters, which is about 5'11", so it looks like they just made up their own height for Han Solo.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    It’s easy to make actors look taller... Tom Cruise for example.

Just in terms of perspective -Donald Glover is shorter that Billy D and Joonas is shorter than Peter Meyhew, so that will
    Make Alden seem closer to Harrison’s height.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I doubt Han's cannon height will change. With regard to his onscreen appearance they can use 'movie magic' to make Alden appear the hieght they need him to be.

Avnar likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You can tell he's wearing lifts in one of the leaked set photos so they have taken Harrison's height into account and will make Alden appear taller in the film than he actually is.

6. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I gotta ask. What is weird or especially what would be considered to be overpowered about an astromech controlling a walker?

It wouldn't generate an eyebrow raise if R5-D4 with a functional motivator was driving one much less a far newer astromech.

Actually, I'd find it more jarring if there was a story and someone stated in it that an astromech couldn't control a vehicle. I'd be like why the hell not?

Artoo offered to fly Luke's Xwing as they left Hoth in Empire but Luke said he preferred to keep it on manual for a while. If a Droid can handle an Xwing then a walker is nothing.

Sorry, I've seen this point a few times and it has left me mystified what the actual concern even is so I had to ask this time.

On edit...

Now that I think of it, didn't Threepio drive the speeder in Star Wars when he and Luke went to find Artoo?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think its more about how much he is capable of doing.

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Haha. Yeah, that always made me laugh. Luke was obviously feeling lazy.

9. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Sure, I'm just saying if audiences can not bat an eye for 40 years that a protocol droid like Threepio can drive a speeder then an astromech driving anything at all should seem perfectly reasonable to the point of no questions need be asked.

It just seems odd to me that so many folks are so rigid in perceptions with little stuff like this to the point that the perfectly reasonable in universe is controversial to some degree.

BB8 doesn't seem particularly more capable than good old Artoo to me and certainly no more so than natural advancement in technology. It is fifty years after Phantom Menace and Artoo was already around then for who knows how long already at that point but still isn't outdated to me compared to the new advanced model just under utilized.

10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The problem here is that a minority just flat out did not like TLJ. What probably started out with their expectations not being met of how they wanted the story line to go snowballed into finding fault with every scene.

11. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Which sadly will be repeated with Solo. People will see Alden, say “Hurr durr he no look like Harrington Forde, me hate” and then decide the entire movie is ruined and worthless in every way.

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I've only seen Alden in a couple of films and thought he was well cast when the announcement was made. Judging by the brief snippets from the tv spot and trailer I think he'll do a fine job of capturing the spirit of a young Han Solo. I really liked his delivery of "I was kicked out of the Academy for having a mind of my own." It put a smile on my face.

Strongbow likes this.
  13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I was hesitant at first but when I heard the line "I'm going to be a pilot...best in the galaxy" from the 45 second trailer- I was excited. Alden got the diction/speech pattern down pretty well I think.

14. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004

If I'm not mistaken(and I have been before) the line is said in both trailers but they sound different. From the SB spot it seems a touch slower paced but on the longer trailer it seems to be a bit quicker and with less resolve.

15. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    It does sound a little different but not enough to change my mind.

I also love the "its fine, we're fine" at the end of the long trailer.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  16. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yup. And check out the stupid Forbes breakdown of the trailer. They like it for the most part, except for one problem (in their view). Alden Ehrenreich is no Harrison Ford.

Sigh*

17. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    And yet they didn't notice that Donald Glover isn't Billy Dee?

KembaSkywalker, Gobi-1 and BadAcrobat like this.
  18. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Disgraceful journalism.

wobbits likes this.
  19. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well it's a good thing he's playing Young Han Solo a fictional character and not young Harrison Ford.

By the way I'd also like to point out that Gary Oldman isn't Winston Churchill.

themoth, wobbits and KembaSkywalker like this.
  20. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    So watching the trailer and trying to figure out if I liked this guy or not (gonna wit for the movie on that I guess) I got idly curious as to what that guy Anthony Ingruber was up to (you know... did some youtube impersonations of Harrison and got cast as young Harrison in Age of Adeline - leading everyone to think - 'Hey why don't they just cast this guy as young Han Solo?)

Anyway it turns out Ingruber is now playing... wait for it....

THE JOKER!!!! (voice only in some game) as in the joker from batman who has been famously played for many years by none other than Mark Hamill of course.

Maybe they should cast Sebastian Stan as a young Jack Ryan to even things out a bit?

So yeah, that was weird. Just felt the need to share that!

Okay so back to Alden... I think I quite like the character he's playing in this movie. I'm just not convinced that that character is Han Solo.

It's a bit like how I really like TFA and TLJ as movies but I'm just not convinced that that's ACTUALLY what happened if you know what I mean.

21. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    The way I look at it is that this is not Han Solo. Not in the sense that we know him. It's the YOUNGER version of him. The one who is just becoming the swaggering scoundrel we know and love. We get to see all of that develop in this story.

22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I thought Genevieve O'Reilly looked like Mon Mothma even if all you saw was an image of her head. I also thought she sounded like Mon Mothma whenever she spoke.

Alden is not winning me over at this time. That said, I didn't recognize Lando in the first trailer but in the second one when he smiled it hit me. So I'm waiting for my "oh there you are, Peter" moment.

[​IMG]

Though Robin Williams didn't look like the kid they cast as Peter Pan because Williams was brought on board at the last minute to replace Kevin Kline who was stuck filming Soapdish.

23. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've posted this in another thread, maybe this one is a better place for it:

Hey, I just remembered something: In the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, they added the scar from Harrison's chin in Sean Patrick Flanery.
    Have they done the same with Alden?
    I tried to spot it in the trailer, but I'm not sure. I THINK there might be a scar in his chin in the "That's a yes" scene with Chewie.
    What do you guys think?

24. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I looked at that and the one where he's talking to Qi'ra but couldn't tell for sure.

25. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    The scene of Han talking to Qi'ra was pure Han to me. The laugh, smirk, then gulp. Just... pure Han mannerisms to me. I absolutley see Han in that moment.

Also, there's 100% a scar on his chin right there.

[​IMG]