main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe?

Kylo Ren is not one of the main characters, he's just the main antagonist (and one with a story arc instead of just being a roadblock).

2. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018
    Yeah no, lol. Kylo is a supporting character and the villain. Rey, Poe, and Finn are the new trio. That's what all the merchandise shows including T shirts with those three specifically on it. They're the trio of the sequel trilogy. Kylo is the villain. He's not a member of the trio at all.

3. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018
    JJ and Rian disagree. They see the trio as Rey, Poe, and Finn.

Jazz9276, Ben-Solo, panki and 2 others like this.
  4. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Bolding what I want to cover here.

Firstly, in regard to Holdo. Agree and Disagree on her. I'm going to sound like a broken record at this point, but I suppose that's what comes from watching old movies and picking up on things that Director's assume others won't pick up on, Holdo is supposed to be a mix of two main characters from 12 O'clock High. Hardass Frank Savage and the more diplomatic Henry Stovall. Holdo's relation to Poe is more based on how Frank Savage handles his men in the movie and how he comes off as someone who doesn't quiet let on what his plans are. This leads to a literal quitting of several men, looking to transfer out, however that changes when Savage turns out to be a decent person and they come to his defense. The thing is that while Holdo may look wise, she makes the same mistakes Savage does with his men. Assuming that they are not disaplined enough and pushing their leader flyers away in turn for other men, who, while good, turn out to have not been the best choice. To me, while it's clear that she's a diplomatic person, we're not seeing that in her here. Her book counterpart was a lot more willing to speak with others and tell them her plans. Now, if she had said to Poe that there was maybe a Mole aboard the ship, then I could say, Okay I get her reason for not telling others, but it's clear that Rian really wanted Laura Dern to be more of a Gregory Peck type character here. While I appreciate it, I don't think it worked out well because, at least for me, it was hard to see where the influence of Frank Savage ended and the actual Holdo began. I personally wish that they had not killed her off. It would have added a more compelling character to the mix, as her views on the Force in the book about Leia were interesting and she could have acted as a Aunt or family figure to Rey as well. Also it would have been very interesting with Finn. I just never felt like she was being allowed to be her own character in this movie.

I agree with you on the Han Solo thing. Poe is closer to what a male Leia I think would have been like. He's rash at times, but also smart and willing to take risks but not dumb about it. This is, what I think Rian missed when he was doing that section of the story. It would have been better to use a different sort of story for Poe, maybe something that challenged his view on the FO who had taken away his friends. For example, as I said above, have a Spy have inflitrated the ranks and has been undermining their work between the movies. Poe has to confront this person and we learn that, like Thrawn, they see some benifit in the way the Empire ran things over the Republic. An interesting moment of confronting the enemy in a different way for him, he can't just use his flying skills to get out of this, he has to be diplomatic like how Leia has been teaching him. Ultimately it could be that the two make some sort of truce, and rather than Holdo, because Poe stuck up for the person, they're the one that takes on the FO and cuts through the other ship. This gives Viewers a different view of the FO as well as giving Poe a new outlook on how to deal with them.

I think you can have two romances, it's just that Rey and Poe's would be the less main of the two, if Finn returns Rose's feelings. It could easily be that we see moments between them, short, sweet, indicating that they're into one another, but either not yet a couple, or they're on their way to this. By the end you can have a moment as in LOTR's where we see Finn and Rose in a more obvious set up as a couple and have Rey and Poe at the start of theirs as now, after everything, they have the time for it to get closer properly. Thus the books and comics could cover that more then the movies.

It's a weird situation with that moment. The optimist in me says, Rian wanted someone to be with Finn because Rey doesn't have the same feelings for him and she's mixed up right now emotionally so that wouldn't be good for him. The Cynic in me says, that he set this up deliberately because he didn't want Fans thinking Finn was going to go back with Rey since he prefers Rey with Ben or something of that nature. I'm sure it's some where in the in between. I can think of at least two examples where this is true in regard to one writer. Marc Gugginhem is writing the series X-man Gold. A huge fan of Kitty Pryde he absolutely loves the pairing of her and Peter Rasputin, Colossus. Problem is that he loves that pairing so much and loves that character almost too much that he lets her take the lead over every other character, save his own new character Ink, to the detriment of the book. He does the same with Felicity on Arrow. Now I don't think Rian is that big a shipper or anything like that. But I do think he may see some of himself in Ben, and wanted to focus on that, and wanted Rey to represent something to him, and I think having Finn or Poe there may have been an issue in his over all structure design.

Rey ending up on her own is fine with me. I'd love it to be the four of them having a ceremony of some sort ala A new Hope with them being given awards for their actions. I don't think Reylo's going to be endgame, so much as I think Rey and Luke, or maybe Leia, will play a role in pulling him back. What I'm curious about is how they're going to have Rose and Rey interact. I would assume that she would want to know about who this girl is and maybe they can be friends. (Please no love triangles...please!)

panki likes this.
  5. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    This is where the Visuals in a movie can become both a great asset to the film maker and a great problem to them. On the one hand, Yay short hand, on the other, boo, short hand. It's great when you don't have to outline something and can just use a moment that is universally known, like giving flowers to some one, or passing a love letter, or having someone in class perk their head up really high from a book their looking at when they see someone. It's an easy thing to do. But, when you, say, have a character look up to show that they are interested and don't have a follow up, like them buying that other person lunch or something sweet to show they like them, that makes sense to the viewer, or worse have it done a number of times, it can become foreshadowing all over the place, and for some film makers that's what they want. The thing is that they some times put things in there that, to them seems like a normal thing, but to viewers who have seen a number of similar films or read romance novels or comics, a normal thing can become a gesture of something. So like you said it's hard to predict things because something significant to me, won't be the same to someone else. :)

I would say though that they are filling an archetype for the story that they are in. Finn is, like Han was, our POV to the Force and such things. Luke had already heard stories like Rey, and Poe grew up with a Force tree and his father and mother served in the battles. So in that sense they are the same (Finn being the outside perspective on both the rebels and the Jedi, Rey being the one with info on the Jedi through myth and having the skills for it, and Poe representing the rebels and what they're fighting for.) I think in that way they do seem a bit like the trio from the OT and the PT. But as for being exactly the same, nah. They're individual characters, but we need more about them.

Jr. Novels are a mixed bag, as are all novels. Normally they work from the last script before the shooting script and in some cases huge sections are removed from a movie, or the whole script is rewritten well after the author did their work. Does it stand as evidence, in a way yes, in a way no. It can be seen as hard evidence that originally a scene was set up for the two to meet and get to know one another, that much was clear. It's also clear that we know the two actors have chemistry. So there is that. That doesn't mean a romance, but it's at least an indication that there's some form of attraction between the two. Now that doesn't automatically scream, "Couple of the year!" (Luke and Leia had that in the OT), but, it does mean that at the very least we know that the two see each other as attractive. This could go somewhere or no where.

As I said before, as long as my guys (Rey, Poe, Finn, Rose, and yes even Ben) are happy and for the most part healthy at the end of all this, I'm going to be happy for them. (My only request is that Ben needs to get a lot of psychological help before he even thinks of dating anyone, ever, at the very least.)

Appolgizes for cutting all of this down, but I wanted to get the heart of things, and a lot of that I agreed with anyway. :) I also want to know about the ring, which I thought was a neat prop idea.

Agreed that there is confirmation
    bias in all directions. This is because everyone is hoping they are right. (I remember the wars for Harry Potter, Avatar, etc.) The problem I think is that because there have been so many shows that people have now grown up with where every detail means something (see Harry Potter for example) that people are looking to see if they can fit in the puzzle pieces. The thing is that, on the one hand Star Wars TCWs and the PT was notorious for that. Now the PT didn't have a lot of mysteries, but TCW's arcs did, and because JJ and subsequently Rian in his other works, seem to like making things bigger, it's become common for everyone to try to solve the puzzle. You see data, that's fine, nothing wrong with seeing data, as that's a good thing. I see possible hints, and that's good too, as long as everyone can at least say "Yeah there are interesting things there, and I enjoyed the movie," then all is good in the world. It's only when it becomes. "I must be right!" that it becomes unbearable, at least for me.

And it's good to be skeptical. Being skeptical is a plus when dealing with this sort of thing. Keeps you from being too disappointed. I'm holding out hope, but again, as I said above as long as people are safe and happy in the end, all is good with the ST for me.

Regarding Rey's parents. I suppose a lot of this comes from me 1. disliking that they took a wonderful and strong back story from Luke about both his and Mara's relationship and then yanked his son Ben away from him, something that Mark had been asking George for since Episode 5 or 6 to have happen for him. He wanted Luke to have that happy ending, and to me, giving Ben Solo that name and pretty much screwing Luke over it seemed rather mean spirited in that sense.

2. Is the fact that I don't trust Ben at all and what he says to be true. Now is he seeing the truth as per what was shown to him. Sure, but it might not be the whole truth. That's why I'm, like you, Skeptical of things that are laid out. I see data there, but what was set before doesn't connect, and certainly doesn't connect to the other material that was put out for Rey.

That's kind of why I'm wondering what is going to happen here.

Not to mention that we get a shot of Poe holding it, touching Leia's hand and then we cut to it blinking on Rey's wrist right before her Forskype with Ben. It's an interesting juxtaposition, I think. And if I remember right usually it went Rey, then Poe, then Finn, in the over all edits. Like there are moments when we see Rey reacting to things and her emotions are reflected in some frustration with Poe about Holdo or his reaction to things that are happening around them. It's interesting about that.

Yeah it makes sense for the time skip. Both the PT and the OT did at least one time skip in story telling. PT had to to make the romance for Anakin and Padme make sense, and the OT had the time from the blowing up of the Death Star to the Rebels being followed and attacked by the Empire. It was shorter between ESB and ROTJ and AOTC and ROTS, because of what was needed. Given the situation, I would say at most two years of a time skip for them to land, regroup, and stage a fight against the FO.

I think people are worried that because it would all be in the one movie between Poe and Rey (and it wouldn't have been had we kept their TFA meeting at least) yet, we've seen this done in other films as well, so it's not really that hard to see them doing it and keeping them the secondary romance over say Finn and Rose. Also we have the books and the Comics, not to mention we may have a tv series that would fill in the time frame between now and the movie. Or at least fill in the gaps for those that want to see how it came about, since an animated series can do more for the story in regard to it's build up.

The likely hood I figure is at the least one to two years, but we need to know how Rose woke up, so there's that issue right there. Time jump has to be done, there's no way around it. The Rebels are too under powered to take on the FO, and the FO we know has a lot of backers.

6. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Loved your piece on the Poe and Finn thread! Can't add more than that. XD I do think that Poe could have come from a different angle, having lost his mother and his father's knowledge of being a farmer and dealing with people and all that, but I get your view too. Poe is extremely compassionate and would have found it harder to express things bluntly to Finn.

[/quoteI actually really like that it was removed because it didn't serve much purpose in TFA other than to have them meet for the sake of a trio moment. It'd break up the pace of the story because the only logical moment would have been when everyone is in the command room before BB-8 completes the map. But even though we want them to meet, it just would have been tacked on. I think it's a symptom of Poe coming back into the story rather late in the process. Whereas it's very natural and feels right in TLJ, and it has more depth to it because of everything in regard to the beacon.[/quote]

Agree to disagree on the removal. I do think that it could have been changed, but I do think that taking it out completely actually caused more issues from TLJ. It left a lot of questions in the open about things. You could have had it changed to where Poe introduced himself over the Com, and then gave a nod to her as they got off the ship, indicating that they would have talked while in flight. At the end you could have had him wish her luck, since she's taking over his mission, as it seemed to hint in the comics and movie that Poe was the one to go get Luke, and with obvious reasons, his mom's connection to him. I mean, I get the reason why, but I think it would have at least given people a bit more of an impression of the two if they had, at the very least, acknowledged the other in a more obvious way. But that's neither here nor there, we're where we are at now, and must move forward.

The beacon thing was a good move on Rian's part, I give him credit for that. I might not like everything he did, but I respect most of his directions.

Holdo is a good person, and it's clear, as I said above, that they're pulling from the movie as a means of making her harder. But in her written form she's more diplomatic, so I don't know where the wires got crossed between the movie and the book but she feels different. Clearly she's upset about Leia, and Poe is too. Why neither of them expressed this is beyond me, I still think that she should not have been killed off and could have acted as a strong character for the next movie, but hopefully we get someone in there that can leave an impression as strong as she has.

Yes, I forgot about that. Mutiny isn't beyond him, but he's very careful on how he does it, and his reasons for it. Poe wouldn't have done it willy nilly, and at least that factor is true to him.

Agreed, there's more to this story then just one character and one villain. There's many many facets, and that's what makes Star Wars so different then other SciFi.

I think the fact that they said it was just to let people know how actually important this character had become. He went from a "Red Shirt" to a full on character that stuck around and became an important part to the story. That is saying something about both Oscar as an actor, and Poe as a character that he was able to keep JJ's attention and make him and Larry go, Hummm there's more to this guy. Let's see where we can go with this. And they were right to do that, Poe has become a breakout along with Finn in a lot of ways.

At this moment, no, it's not. It's a friendship, a possible deep one that can change, but a romance at the end of eight. No. Could be a start, but it's up in the air. Agreed, we have three people that represent aspects of Ben's life: Finn an outsider like his father who knows just how the FO works, and like Han is skeptical of things and tends to need a push to not be selfish at times. Rey is a mix of Han and Luke, both innocent and full of hope, and yet there's a struggle of being a loaner in her, and her powers are something that he's trying to understand himself, and then there's Poe, who is like a second son to Leia in a lot of ways, and yet she hasn't forgotten her son (Her call sign is Naboo, Endor, Ben, -Padme, where she and Han cemented their love and where she reconnected to her brother and found the truth of her past, and Ben being the child that she loves), and represents all the work and dedication that his mother put to make the world a better place.

Regarding Ben's future, I'm holding my breath on that. And while Blood doesn't matter, I do think there's still some hints of, looking to where you've come from, and facing that past rather then destroying it. We have Poe with the ring on his neck, the necklace that Rose wears and the ring she has are connections to her family, the mask that Ben had was a connection to his grandfather, as was the items we saw on his desk connections to his families past, and Rey seeking out her parents and Anakin's lightsaber.

While I think the blood isn't important persay, I do think it helps you connect to that past and move forward with the new parts of your life.

In a way all characters are wearing a mask, even Poe and Rey.

Rey's mask is her stronger side, the one that she had on in TFA while digging around. She's seeing herself as a scavenger, and that's not her true self.

Poe's is his bravado. He can be a lot more unsure and there's a lot there in him that he hasn't yet unpackaged about his late mother and the loss of his friend and Uncle as well.

I want to see if there's any connection there with Poe and Ben in the future. Like will Ben be upset that Poe's taken on the role of leader over his mother? Can this lead to a greater fight because he may feel that it's not fair that Leia gave that role to the son of a farmer.

I think is kind of interesting. While each character is unique, they are similar to filling roles in the story of the OT.

I can also throw in there that it would be interesting if they went with Poe and Rey for the simple fact that it hits on a few beats:

1. Farmer's son with the Magical Princess (except Rey's not a princess as far as we know.)
    2. Luke (Rey) and Leia (Poe) which was supposed to be the outcome for the OT till things got changed.
    3. Scapper with the more aristocratic lead.

Also, it's going to be interesting if Rose is the Lando of the story.

panki likes this.
  7. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    I think a lot of people get the idea of Protagonist and Main character mixed up. Main character is someone that is important to the over all story. An ally, a mentor, a shadow, a hero, a villain, a narrator that just writes the story and is part of the group, can all be Main characters as long as they have a significant role to play in the story. A Protagonist is someone that pushes the story forward. They act rather then react to what's happening around them and are in control of the over all narrative. Their job is to be the defacto leader of the story and push it to it's conclusion.

So in this case we have Rey, Finn and Poe, acting to events thus making them Protagonist in the story.
    Ben, Hux and Snoke, are reacting, thus not protagonist, and antagonists (their actions may start the story but they react to everything that follows).

However, Ben is a Main character because his role in the story is significant for it's progression over all.

So No, you're right, he's not part of the Trio, but he can be called an Main Character. That doesn't mean that he's the OT3 of this story.

Technically that was going to be his dad, not Ron. Ron was a okay from the get go, as far as I understand. She changed that to Tonk's dad who saved one of the kids after he realized he had magic in him, but it was a late blooming sort.

It's become clear that he's part of the group of three. Posters don't always tell the truth because based on not only the actors but their significance in the story that's being told in that chapter, they may be bigger and more prominently placed, or smaller and less prominently placed. See the first few Star Wars posters where Han was placed in a smaller area, or wasn't in there at all.

Not only that, but there's the added fact that they chose to put the Villain as the son of two of the main 3. There was a reason George seemed to want him to be unknown, namely because making him a non simple character takes away a lot from the other three important characters. As much as I love the ST, I think that they bit off at points more then they could chew with this story. Fairytales and science fiction of this nature has simple baddies and the like for a reason. You need time to establish your OT3. You can easily do a longer series of stories via books or seven movies to give weight to your main baddie, but as the PT and OT showed, you'd need to tell that baddies story as seperate movie, and honestly I think that would have worked better for Ben's story if they had pushed that for another movie or something else.

Very good point with that! I think that's a serious point that it also fits in with the heroes journey in a way. They meet their allies in step one (Finn and Han), they face down their fears (step 2 Luke and Ben) and they come out stronger and work with those in a power position (Leia and Poe). And it's an interesting concept that the Ordinary life usually comes after the one in power rewards the hero. Go figure.

Rey, Ben, Poe, Finn, and possibly Rose, are all Main Characters. As I said above there is a difference between being a Protagonist and a Main Character.

Ben is not the number one character, honestly in a lot of ways Finn is, as he's the one we're mostly learning stuff from. Rey is sort of like Leia in a way as she already knows Myths of the Jedi and such, and Poe's already a resistance fighter, Finn's coming into this from a whole new place.

Because of the way they set it up, Poe =Leia's role as Princess and rebel leader, Finn =Han's role as the outsider, and Rey =Luke's the magic kid that is learning how to be a powerful wizard, these three are the main trio of the story.

Ben, by default is the villain or the cursed villain who may turn ally later. But for being part of the main 3, no, no he's not.

Poe was in quiet a bit of TFA, I would argue less time then Finn and Rey, but about the same as Ben in total roughly.

Um, yes there technically is, as those three, Poe/Rey/Finn represent the aspects of the story: Rebels/Jedi/ordinary, Ben and Hux are right now the FO or the Empire.

Yes, he did, and probably will play a larger role in IX, and more then likely will be teamed up with Rey since he's now going to need to work with her on the Jedi/Rebel alliance along with Finn and Rose as helping them out.

panki likes this.
  8. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Ehhhh, that depends on what you mean by bigger role? Like, over all story, or do you mean importance to the main plot that is not around Rey? Because I would argue that Poe is more significatnt to the larger Picture than Ben is right now in that regard, as is Hux in a lot of ways. While Ben is now Leader, he still really hasn't earned it in the eyes of his men, and I have a feeling Hux is going to take it from him before the mid way point of the story. It's clear that they're setting up a Poe/Hux/Ben situation here in regard to the fighting. Now for Rey's story, sure Ben is certainly more important, but to the over all FO Vs. Resistance, that goes to Poe over Ben at least until Ben took over from Snoke, and again, I don't see him holding that for long.

Eh, let them play. If they want to argue against Rey/Poe in any way shape or form, I'll be more then happy to listen and counter. :) so long as the same curtsy is extended in their thread as well.

Yup, I would say that Finn's still a bit on the outside, but he's been labeled as the warrior so maybe Poe maybe handing over more flying duty to him and staying back for more politics with Connix. I want to see how Poe and Rey handle their personalities. Rey is far more hot headed then Poe is at times, and I wonder if that's going to clash for them, or help them build an alliance? \

I don't think direct leaders, Poe's going to be taking on more responsibility, and Rey is the lone Jedi there. Finn probably will be flying in missions as I can see Poe giving him more jobs to do. Remember too there probably will be a time skip here. I would say leaders in the sense of they have more responsibly but not directly yet as main heads of everything ala Bail or Mon Motha.

It could still. Remember that OT and PT were done as Serials, JJ seemed to embrace this, as while Kylo certainly was a presence, he wasn't given a hell of a lot in regard to over all plot development till the end. He even had the wipes down. Rian came from a different way of doing things, more modern, and didn't have as many wipes or simple scene changes. That's what makes editing on Star Wars fun, and what I was annoyed with with RO, the lack of wipes and pans, and all the fun stuff that makes you feel like you're watching an old serial, but I digress.

I do think if JJ keeps true to what he did in TFA in regard to visuals, it could help more.

Yup, more accurate. He's an MC in the sense that he's important to the over all progression of the story, but he's not at all like Rey, Finn or Poe in that sense.

Iffy on Supporting character. Holdo and Connix I would say are Supporting Characters, Ben is more a part of the Main antagoinst character in this story. But you're right on the mark on Rey/Finn/Poe being the trio for the story since each of them had arcs that move the story forward and they're acting over reacting to what comes their way. I don't know why people think he is part of the Trio. I mean if he was ever to turn good and join in to help them he could be part of a Quartet then, but right now, it's just a Trio.

Not sure how Rian sees it fully, but it's clear JJ sees them as the Main 3, while I think Rian sees Ben as a possible number 4 to the group. Add rose in and we get a 5 man band?

panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  9. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Poe was supposed to be dead by this point. How could he possibly be a main character?

Yora likes this.
  10. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Easy, that was changed. Look at it this way. He was removed from the DOA list well before the final script was done, as evidence in the novels. JJ confirmed that Oscar impressed him enough to want him around longer. They were still working on the script when he read and Oscar had said that he would sign on if he lived. Because of how good and actor he is and the chemistry he had in his auditions and later in probably the later auditions and the like, his character was saved.

He became a Main character once both JJ and Rian, and the writing group realized what they had on their hands. This is a Character that got a full on Comic series! One that is still going AFTER the first story arc is done and has lasted Longer than any other series save the main Star Wars line. So there is that factor too. Also, given how well he was recieved by the audience and also by the crew and writers, I think it pretty much says that he's a Main Character.

panki, Jazz9276, civilsecret and 2 others like this.
  11. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Agreed.

Fair enough. The original point I was disagreeing with that that Poe and Rey being the counterparts to Han and Leia is evidence that they're going to get together.

Yeah, although I would be curious why the author of the junior novelization rewrote the TFA Rey/Poe meeting to be more platonic from the more romantic-ish version in the adult novelization and why the adult novelization putt a lot of effort into suggesting that Rey and Finn were falling for each other if we assume that his version of the Rey/Poe meeting is accurate to what was filmed in terms of content and emotions (actually, why all the novelizations were allowed to have a heavy subtext on Rey and Finn being attracted to each other). I do get that novelizations are working off the movie-in-progress and that stuff does change, but it seems really odd that no one at LucasFilm or Del Rey didn't flag this stuff if the characters' dating cards weren't set or the filmmakers were leaning in another direction.

I'm pulling for Kylo to not be redeemed (I think that makes for an interesting story), but, yeah, I want the heroes to end Episode 9 in a good place. (I'm now getting images of Kylo, in full robes and helmet, lying on a couch and explaining his dark deeds to a psychologist :))

Okay.

Sure.

Yeah.

I don't know if I saw the repurposing of the Ben name seemed mean-spirited to me, but I will concede that I had been hoping that Rey was Luke's kid, given that that could've made for a very interesting plot line.

Well, I think that most of the other tie-ins were so vague about Rey's past that any contradictions were minimal. The most I can see is that the TFA novelizations essentially said that her parents had left her on Jakku and had intended to come back for her, but novelizations were always squishy canon, so I can accept that. (It does kind of bug me that we see her crying for the ship to come back in the Force vision, but being a Force vision, we could chalk it up to not being a literal depiction of what happened.)

For my money, given that TFA put a lot of focus on Rey learning to let go of the fantasy of her family coming back and finding her path forward, so I think that TLJ going with the idea that her parents were truly gone and not important people fits with this idea that she'll have to pick her life. I mean, in many ways, part of her story arc in TFA is her finding a surrogate family with the friends she makes along the way.

As far as Kylo being mistaken, I guess that depends if Abrams wants to do something else. I think if it is retconned, it should be a new scenario that adds to the story and not just a throwaway that just makes Rey someone else's kid for reasons.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  12. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Because through development and unfortunately tragedy he literally is at the center of the Resistance plot. His movie was supposed to show his growth from reckless flyboy to sure-minded Leader. Now did it accomplish it perfectly? No. But nevertheless he now is critical to the Resistance survival, and further mission in IX and beyond. He’s literally the face of the Resistance. And not just on those recruitment posters.

panki, Jazz9276, civilsecret and 3 others like this.
  13. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    Don't forget the "life before the trio met each other" book with Poe, Rey, and Finn on the cover. :D
    [​IMG]

14. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    Easy: the 90% of TLJ's script was done a month later TFA's shooting was over.
    Late Autumn 2014.
    Meaning that every piece of merchandising and new canon that came out
    before and after the TFA came out, was made knowing 2/3 of the ST.

If they say, those 3 are the trio and that is villain - and the villain is a main
    character and a protagonist as well, there's no need to go into semantics -
    I trust them.

15. aussieinspace

aussieinspace Jedi Padawan

Dec 20, 2017
    I wish they'd release those posters :)

Ben-Solo and Darkspellmaster like this.
  16. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    “Don’t take orders, from the First Order - Poe Dameron”

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    @Darkspellmaster do NOT stack multiple posts in a row like you did above. You have to wait until someone else posts before continuing.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    its just sorta weird that the main trio have never actually talked to each other.

Mostly Handless and Yora like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's move on from the off topic discussion of "Who are the new big 3?".

civilsecret likes this.
  20. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Sorry, but if there is a lot to respond to, what do you do?

21. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Anyone else notice that Poe and Rey's look kinda Marc is Jyn and Cassian's looks from Rogue one. They even have Poe in the same shirt as Cassian wore.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Respond all in the same post. Just hit reply to every post you want to respond to. It's not ideal, but we had too many people attempting to dominate the discussions by non-stop multi posting like that, so a rule was put into place several years ago, disallowing it.

There needs to always be someone else's post in between your own.

23. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Okay fair enough. I thought grouping them would be okay. So basically post wait, post wait. Got it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2018
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    [​IMG]
    I've just realized something... look who is behind Rey:
    R2 and C3PO.
    And C3PO is putting his hand on R2's head..
    Just like in ep. 2 and 5 final scenes.

Maybe I'm not that crazy when I say this is the closest thing
    we've got in TLJ to those iconic shoots.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How is it iconic if it is so hard to see.

Yora likes this.