main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    The prequels, the OT, are all a cohesive story. And make sense. Forming one saga. The ST is very messy, and doesn't feel right at all.

We need to see George Lucas' story.

"We were deceived by a lie. We all were. It appears that the "new writers" are the Sith Lords we were looking for."

2. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Actual quote:
    Of course, everyone knows you "should never" do that. That's why the video game industry is failing right now--dumb computers, but on the other hand the puppet show market is exploding.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This is a letter unearthed from Ron Howard (yes - the same Ron Howard who is directing Solo!) to Newsweek defending Jake Lloyd's performance in TPM, in which he also highly praises the film itself

[​IMG]

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, even as someone who loves the prequels, I have to point out that George Lucas was basically Ron Howard's Yoda, so of course he'd have kind words for the film.

That said, Ron Howard's defense of Jake Lloyd, which is obviously very earnest and impassioned, shows him to be a true class act.

wobbits, crapiola, QuangoFett and 2 others like this.
  5. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    These days, any website I read that trashes Jake Lloyd's career, whether it be for his performance in Jingle All The Way or TPM, continues to make my blood boil to no end, and not just because of the issues he has now. He was just a CHILD back then! If that's not hitting a defenseless person below the belt, I don't know what is.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wobbits, Sab Jo, crapiola and 4 others like this.
  6. AussieViking

AussieViking Jedi Padawan

May 28, 2017
    Might sound weird but I am in a conversation with someone about the Prequels and he wants Answers to certain things listed below some I can remember were obvious the films but not all of em and I have other things to do so watching TPM would be a hard thing to do. Anyone else got answers to the questions?

1: the trade federation was doing deals with Darth Sidious (Though we weren't exactly told what they were in the film), yet he's trying to get Queen Amidala to sign this treaty that doesn't make sense as to how Palpatine will advance himself politically.
    2: The Jedi were sent to Naboo to settle the tax conflict between naboo and the trade federation in the first place by Chancellor Valorum and yet Amidala doesn't ask them to help with his testimony in the Senate when they would have provided enough evidence needed. that didnt make sense. then there would be no need for a vote of no confidence
    3: why was there a trade blockade around naboo at the start of the film, yet when they go back at the end all bar one ship have gone?
    4: why did the jedi say to qui-gonn and obi-won 'we will discover the identity of your attacker' and then afterwards say 'go to naboo and discover the identity of this dark warrior' when i thought they were gonna do that. and why didnt they send more jedi with qui-gonn and obi-won if they suspected there was a sith there?
    5: why did they take anakin back with them to naboo. where was the sense in that? wouldnt it have been safer to leave him on coruscant?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  7. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    @AussieViking I think you're in the wrong thread. I recommend taking that to the "Ask questions here" thread pinned in this section

8. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    Never noticed that I shall do that. Though I cant seem to find it. Any help?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  9. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    Wrong thread, but I'll answer a couple.
    1. I remember reading somewhere on this forum, I cant remember who or what post it was so i can't credit them, but one of them picked up on Qui-Jons line to Queen Amidala "There is no logic in the trade federations move here, my feelings tell me they will destroy you." From this you can tell that Sidious doesn't care for the treaty, what he wants is her to be forced to sign it then killed straight away. He wanted to use her death as a major sympathy garner in the senate and most likely give him enough reason to call for a vote of no confidence himself without coming off as just someone who wants to become Chancellor. Imagine the outrage that the planet's Queen had been murdered in coldblood despite them asking for assistance due to the Republic/Senate not aiding them. It would of been the perfect shot for him to rise up. It worked out in the end through different means as seen in the film.

2. Remember that throughout the film Padme is hopeful the senate will listen to her case, she is oblivious to the corruption there and thinks it is a place that will bring justice and help to her people. She didn't think she would need to bring testimonies or witnesses in, but then she was hit with the stone-cold truth when giving her plea and realized that the Senate is indeed corrupt and cannot help her save her people. After that moment she gave up on asking the Republic for help and took matters into her own hands. Take note of the way she speaks about the Senate/Republic before arriving to Coruscant and then after.

3. I'm not really sure what you're referring to there I'll watch it again later

4. The Jedi did not believe it was a sith. The Jedi council, in all their arrogance, thought it may of been some other force-user and assumed a Jedi Master and an Apprentice will be enough, despite Qui-Jon telling them he believes it to be a Sith Lord. Again, another failing of the council which ultimately caused their downfall.

5. The Council rejected him, Padme/her gang were all going back to Naboo, who would take Anakin in? Where would he stay? I think the logical response I can think to this is that Qui-Jon automatically took Anakin as his new Padawan, so he told him to come to observe him and get first hand experience. Sort of like pre-official training.

Sab Jo, crapiola and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Here you go. Sorry, was calling it by a previous title

11. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    Thank you sent most of those to him. but he's being simple minded and doesn't agree even though they are in the film. Sometimes I just hate star wars fans. At least the blinded one.

Now he's on about the clone army even though most sure not all the information is there but most of it is. Oh well

Sab Jo and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  12. Kururu

Kururu Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2007
    Because at that point, it is no longer a blockade. The Trade Federation has invaded Naboo mandated by Sidious and now they control the planet. They only really need a single capital ship to control their landing force droid army and therefor the whole planet.

13. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    So i just thought of something with the whole RLM, Plinkett reviews. First up
    I loathe Red letter media it's just a bunch of Egotistical ****s saying what they think is true.

Unfortunately many will blindly follow them. Thing it just because someone has a fan base doesnt mean they are right by that logic trumps a god damn Saint in terms of what he believes.

Also you can say any film can be better or worse. From the godfather to Aliens.Scenes, characters, themes, ideas can be stripped away or added to make them better films.

I think Return of the jedi could of been better take the ewoks out and make vaders turn to the light tighter and you got a masterpiece. But thats not how they did is so i enjoy what they created anyway. Maybe it's because I can enjoy and view other perspectives. But hey works for me.

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

It's rare to find someone who understands they're very experimental (and so is the OT, by the way)

Sab Jo, crapiola, ss640 and 3 others like this.
  15. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Woah..Whoever picked that soundtrack for the video is spot on. I need that beat now...

Video was very nice. I especially loved how others have finally noticed Attack Of The Clones is one big 1950’s homage to films.

Sab Jo, crapiola and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
  17. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    mes520 likes this.
  18. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Great article. I liked Padme. And her character learnt, had flaws etc. I feel more of a connection with Padme though than Rey.

I thought the Prequels were really good. One thing I think might have made the saga feel linked, would have been a slight adjustment. Instead of Jar Jar motioning for Palpatine to have emergency powers, have Bail Organa do it (in the absence of Padme who was elsewhere).

Imagine the POWER of that. Bail and Alderaan are the ones to start the move from Republic to Empire.. and the irony of Alderaan being destroyed in ANH.

ss640 likes this.
  19. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Well, didn't Bail Antilles of the same planet second Padme's move for a Vote of No Confidence in Chancellor Valorum in a TPM deleted scene?

DarthTalonx and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  21. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Ah yes. In fact I believe Bail Antilles was also nominated as a candidate, but Palpatine won.

However I felt the whole emergency powers and twilight of the Republic was brilliantly told. BUT I would have not used Jar Jar for such a crucial event in the galaxy. It would have been more powerful to give us either Padme herself, or Organa I guess (given his mention in the OT). Even Mothma. Something to give us some sense of connection/regret on their part for their role in things.

Personally I think the Emperor was right. The Republic was ineffectual and corrupt. But the Jedi were good though, so not with him on that.

22. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Actually, using Jar Jar in such a critical moment only made fans hate him even more. You know, "This guy who was as clumsy as he was stupid in Episode 1 singlehandedly invented the Empire in Episode 2."

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not what happened. Jar Jar made a proposal for emergency powers. The senate approved the proposal. Palpatine declared the creation of an Empire in ROTS. The senate approved the reorganization.

{Quantum/MIDI} and Gamiel like this.
  24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think using Jar Jar for that was a perfect fit.

He's so well-meaning and just wants to help. He's also completely inexperienced when it comes to dealing with politial tricks. Palpatine and Mas Amedda basically played him like a fiddle, making him a rather tragic figure in all this. Someone like Padme wouldn't have made that decision. That's one of the reasons why Palpatine wanted Padme out of the way. She was the leader of the faction that was against creating an army. The orchestrated assassination-attempts gave Palpatine a valid excuse to claim that he feared for her life, which leads to her being send to safety. This removes one of the main obstacles against the army. It also leaves her replacement in charge, a replacement who is no match for a politician like Palpatine, who thus can be used to get this throught the senate.

Not only does this allow Palpatine to act as if he didn't want this "burden" of emergency powers, but it also makes things more likely to pass the senate, because it is coming from a system that up to that point was against this idea.

25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    There's also the brilliant callback, when Palpatine calls for a 'grand army', the exact terms Jar Jar used to describe the Gungan army in TPM.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018