main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    Those...

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh you were talking about Rey and Poe. Not Artoo and Threepio. :p

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  3. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Well Finn and Poe do, and Finn and Rey do. It's just we never had a moment of Poe and Rey talking. Pretty sure George may have had the three more consistently interacting.

panki likes this.
  4. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Dp

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya the big 3 of the OT and even the PT did interact together as 3 more often.

panki likes this.
  6. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    The mod said we ought to steer the conversation away from "who is the big three" so how about a topic change? :)

Do you think Poe or Rey will be back seat drivers for each other if one is piloting and the other isn't?

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No, I do not think so. Thank's for reminding me of the mod warning.

8. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Nice catch. Interesting observation.

And if this was put in to draw the conculsion then it is something that should be considered because of the way that relationship evolved throughout that film; and look for similarities in this one.

panki and Darkspellmaster like this.
  9. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    In regard to Poe and Rey, I think the biggest part was that, up till now, no screen moment. Much like Leia and Han didn't get to interact till she was on the ship.

I do think IX will give us more scenes with them as he is going to be important to her story given her role in the film coming up. So I would think that JJ will at the very least give us scenes with the trio and the two of them.

panki and mlsw like this.
  10. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Found this interesting. So this is a picture done for a comic, I think, of Jagged Fel and Jania Solo. There are some theories floating around that some, not all, but some of the major characters and sorty beats from both TFA and TLJ were inspired by the old EU. Now, this is just my brain thinking, but the image of these two reminds me a lot of the outfits and looks they have on both Daisy and Oscar.

What do you guys think? Do you think that Rey and Poe were inspired maybe by the old EU versions of Jag and Jania?

[​IMG]
    Shot of Poe in full outfit
    [​IMG]
    Rey second outfit

[​IMG]
    Rey first outfit
    [​IMG]
    I just kind of find it visually interesting that they really seem to be visually, if not in some cases spiritually invoking the old EU characters in their design for the new ones. There's a few more, but these two and Ben, looking a lot like Kyp Durron, are the most visually close to their possible books counterparts.

panki, Jazz9276 and Ben-Solo like this.
  11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Han and Leia were interacting onboard the Death Star as well. And they got to interact in all three movies. As did Han and Luke and Luke and Leia.

Which makes it different than Rey, Finn, and Poe and makes trying to do stuff with Rey and Poe more, tricky. Especially in a film where you have to wrap up a bunch of other plot and character arcs as well.

Rhyoth, NileQT87 and WebLurker like this.
  12. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    Issue #42 of Star Wars ( the ashes of Jeddah).

Sorry but I can’t add a pic in this very moment.
    However...

Leia asks Han if he can fly a ship (I don’t remember what kind)

Han “ I can fly anything”.

Also, Han deals with leadership and at some point he says “ I’m the Captain”.

I’d say the trend of making the two characters (Poe-Han) look alike
    keeps on going.

Not that I like it per se (I loved Poe wasn’t an Han reboot) but...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  13. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    It's a weird situation that Rian set up in having her and the others be split up. And more to the detriment, I think, of their stories and development. Given how I'm had just Finn and Poe react, and Rey and Finn, I would think that he would have had her react to Poe if he was directing 8.

Given what Rian said, his focus was on Ben, but I think that there should have been some connection between all three. Unless they are planning to do side stories with them.

@mlsw, it's weird that they are, but I do think that they have a reason for making him so much like Han and Leia. Spiritual son, over biological maybe?

panki and mlsw like this.
  14. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah its odd. Rey off with Luke was expected. But then Finn and Poe don't interact all that much either. Instead, they're paired up with brand new characters (Rose and Holdo) that we'd never heard of or seen before. And then they all don't come together until the very end (and Rose is in a coma to boot), which is the first time that Rey and Poe share any dialogue together onscreen as well..

It honestly makes the "connections" feel less firm/established this time around.

Rhyoth and Darkspellmaster like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Also they have not had any chemistry between the 3 of them.

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I'd disagree honestly (although I do feel that Rey and Poe have had too little screen time to judge how well they bounce off each other).

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No I meant together. Like we have not seen what they act like together.

Darkspellmaster and mlsw like this.
  18. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    Poe and Finn had the comm and were communicating to each other all the time, perhaps too much because them being so communicative through the comm is what got DJ to learn the plans. They weren't physically together, but they were still interacting a ton.

@Darkspellmaster I think it's looking too much into things to compare the clothes to the Legends characters.

19. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    It's not the same thing, at least for me.

20. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Oh.

21. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I think there could be similarites and callbacks due to the way certain these two characters carry thmselves and in Rey's case has the general outline as a character.

Jania

So the general outline is the same and if they are using Lucas treatments as everyone seems to believe in some manner, regardless of names then her character looks like a Jana Solo (Fel) then if you use this character lightly the customes could be considered. (One thought on Jania, (or Rey in this instance) it is said in "Making of" book from TFA that Rey's custome in the final scene is based of Han Solo, which if you - do this the direct correlation can be made)

This could also been seen as the Rey - Kylo dynamic, closing and moving on to Poe Dameron.

As for for Jag Fel. If we look as him and his attributes, skills (piloting/leadership exclusively) before Yuuzhan Vong battle then yes; Poe Dameron is that character down to a "T" after that Fel because something else and the two split, one I don't see Dameron splitting for Rey (if it were to occur) and second he will never be anything but the leader of the Resistance. That being said I see it. Even on the board relationship outline.

panki, Jazz9276 and Darkspellmaster like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Where did Rey get her second outfit from?

23. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    If you're referring to my post the second outfit I refer to was from the "Force Awakens" and he outfit change occurs when she return on the Millenium Falcon to D'Qar after the attack on Starkiller Base. It is referred to in the "Making of The Force Awakens" book that her outfit (the one she is seen wearing is inspired by Han Solo) then she changes into the outfit on the Supremacy after Luke Skywalker decides to teach her.

Also since we are looking back at this scene Poe Dameron does notice her (Rey). Although they never officially met in TFA. He defintely knew who she was, and that is exactly why he said what he did (plus all the other reasons I and many others have referred to)

Poe Dameron noticing Rey on D'Qar even while, their is panic and chaos trying to save Finn.

Outfit Rey ends TFA with and begins TLJ with (referred to as Outfit #1)

Outfit Rey ends TLJ (referred to as Outfit #2)

24. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    I should note in the art book for TLJ Rey's outfit seemed to be based directly on Hans look down to the colors and stripe on the pants.
    Also kind of interesting we didn't get any art concepts for Poes outfit for TLJ.

Okay they are trading like mad about an old ship that Poe is going to fly after the FO who have Lot, and it's from a Nemodion collection of Ships.

panki, Jazz9276 and Ben-Solo like this.
  25. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Exactly (Rey's outfit); I would if that was intentional in regards to Poe because of the transition the character made in the film;