main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should the ST be Expanded to a Quadrilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Boba Frett, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think we already have a thread somewhere like this one.

B99 likes this.
  2. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    They'll make it in 20-30 years. The Skywalker saga movies make too much money so they won't stop making them.

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Would love an ep X. But dunno about more than that.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't think this is likely, but I wouldn't mind Rian's new trilogy being Episode X-XII. But just set it maybe like a few hundred years in the future. Maybe the Skywalker line could be referenced as a significant part of the galaxy's history here or there, but it wouldn't be actually ABOUT that family line.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  5. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    X will release May 25th 2027 aka the 50th anniversary of ANH. Is my belief anyway. Rian's trilogy will take the spotlight till then).

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya that’s how I am looking at the release. Although I was they would stop after 9.

7. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I’m sure we’ll see an epsiode X at some point, but what I was getting at was the idea that the sequel films must form a strict trilogy.
    Do you think it possible that the story could wrap up in 4 films instead of 3. Would everyone be ok with that if Disney stop at Episode X instead of IX.
    At least for a while.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Sure. At the same time you will also get people who will say, "they ruined star wars by making the ST into 4 movies!"

Krueger likes this.
  9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think the reason why a lot of people feel this way is because, once Episode 9 has been and gone, it will weirdly feel as though we had two films in the ST as oppose to three. The reason for that is that TFA and TLJ act as, essentially, a two-parter, literally taking place in the space of three or four days. It’s amazing the amount of comments I’ve seen that say TFA now feels more like a prologue. I can see why a lot of people feel that way. Episode 9 will feel slightly strange in comparison, as it will feel like the odd one out of the bunch.

So, I don’t think it will happen, but I would definitely be open to the possibility of an Episode 10 to round out the current ST story and characters. Plus I like even numbers.

DARTH_BELO and B99 like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Episode X: Kylo Ren Answers the Census
    Episode XI: Kylo Ren Really Needs Glasses
    Episode XII: Kylo Ren Gets Lost in the Park

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if they announced Ep X. I'm old enough to remember seeing ESB at the cinema in 1980 and no one was talking about EPIV being the last of a trilogy of films. We assumed they'd be quite a few afterwards. It wasn't until ROTJ was released with the death of Vader and the Emperor that most people realised that was it. But I don't think there needs to be a hard and fast rule that the SW films need to be made in trilogies. GL wasn't thinking about trilogies initially. He wanted to make 6 films (IV - IX) all in a row.

12. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I would love this!

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think they will stick with trilogies, but I have been wrong before.

B99 likes this.
  14. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    It would be nice to round out the Skywalker sega with 10 movies....

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah. 10 would be cool.

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If this is the Skywalker Saga, then this last movie feels like enough. The elder Skywalkers are gone.
    Just one guy left.
    His fall, his redemption, his time travel plot twist... whatever happens to him that brings it to a finish seems enough to me.

And then you start on the Rey Dameron Saga.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I do like myself some even numbers.

18. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I don’t think the should number the movies after 9 (if 9 is the last of the Skywalker sega)

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  19. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Although I would be completely down with a quadrilogy, I don't think "enough" (character arcs, etc) remains that could bulk out the story enough.

Unless......unless they turn Snoke's death into a sort of "Force Projection" (just like Luke) and he remains in the shadows (with another apprentice or two; or possibly the exact number of the Knights of Ren minus Kylo) until the latter part of 9 and re-emerges and defeats Kylo Ren; but without killing him - Rey saves him. That sets up for an epic showdown with brother/cousin and sister/cousin to take on Snoke and the Knights of Ren in number 10. I agree with @jedijax, break the remainder of this story into two parts; with JJ directing both. It would help explore the story arc of Kylo taking on Rey and potentially showing the build up again of both the Resistance (or Rebels or whatever they're calling themselves) and The First Order for one final ROTJ-like spectacular in 10.

It would have to be a couple of years into the timeline for 9 to give both sides enough time to re-bolster their military stocks, but if they bring Snoke back as the ultimate big baddy of this part of the story, it could potentially allow for a Ben Solo redemption arc too; which I'm not overly crazy about, but would still be happy enough to accept.

20. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I think it will EPIX Part 1 and Part 2.;)

21. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    So yes, "Tetrology" is the correct term, I believe (not that frequently used). As in "Tetris" = four-square shapes. My bad.

Anyway, I just don't see how there's enough of an opportunity to develop the characters and situations in a way that will stand the test of time.

As others have pointed out, there was a credible, stable threat in the PT and OT. I just don't get much of a feeling of depth from either the Republic or First Order, and calling them "good" or "bad" without enough context robs them of depth.
    And with the events happening within weeks, how is there even much time for characters to process what they've experienced and grow from it? Like, Rey literally JUST MET Finn and everybody else. Finn JUST MET Rey and everybody else. And Poe didn't even meet Fin until late in TLJ.

I thought Snoke was supposed to have Ren's training really begin, but he just got a band-aid on his face and then whacked Snoke.

It takes time to write and film these installments, as well. I think by allowing for more space for planning and execution, we can get a more satisfying conclusion.

DarkGingerJedi and Doom_Buggy like this.
  22. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I saw Dances with Wolves in the theater...loooooooooong movie short, i basically realize in retrospect that some movies of powerful caliber can run for a while and just be an epic grand film. Its a tall order to successfully make a long movie you can watch in America DWW wasnt the only long movie...there was Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind, Return of the King, Once upon a time in America etc al and they all had long run times. Europe has movies that run up to 12 hours plus. So i do not think the trilogy is locked in to a time restraint......i just want an intermission sandwiched between 4 hours of film.:D

So is a 3 hour to 4 hour film ok to conclude? If the story is truly engaging and you really feel like you're going along on a great adventure and didn't want it to end when it was over. I think that is fine with me. An intermission would be preferable to the dreaded part 1/part b technique that i just loathe.
    I am surprised i haven't seen any epic long films lately.

But going forward i think its best to stay in just a 3 film arc but maybe not so much reliance on order or time or interconnected trilogy-ism. Episode 10 could start a hundred years in the past or 50 years or 3 years from Episode 9 and youre just being told another story from the journal of whoever. The bottom line is to bring this galaxy far away into our lives with coolest sci fi you ever have seen and a rich tapestry of characters - the hutts, the greedos, the warlus men - there are worlds with stories and the skywalkers had some big cards but it wasnt the only show for people in town...the outer rim probably didnt even blink at any of the events or dismissed them as stories. There is so much potential to expand the galaxy towards its citzens and the stories and how those small things contributed to other sagas with a sort of butterfly effect in a way... I think the serialization should continue to keep that connection to "saturday afternoon serials" that motivated lucas and spielberg to begin with but having nothing to do with a chronological telling of the stories.

For example you could have episode 13 open with Yoda on the temple and a mission commences and you might see a qui gonn walk by in the background or maybe a mission that takes place between TPM and AOTC but by and large have nothing to do with any of those stories except maybe a foreboding tone there and there. Most of these stories so far are just moments in time and theres other moments in time that correlate, interwine, and flow through each other - much like the living force.

23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I don't think so. We have the spin-off films to experiment with different approaches, but that's all the more reason to keep the saga films formalistically consistent. Trilogy structure, start with the crawl, characteristic wipe transitions, JW score (so long as the latter is possible).

24. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

It would be nice. That way they don't have to try and pack two movie's worth of development and events into one film.

25. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think they can wrap this saga with Episode 9, and with the loss of Carrie, I frankly want to see the story concluded. I like some of the new characters, but I don't have a desire to see their story expanded beyond a trilogy. I honestly wish they'd move away from OT & PT characters completely, as I have little interest in Solo, Kenobi, or other stand alone movies in general. I would like to see an exploration of another era, beyond the Skywalker lineage.