main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you think we have already seen the "best" and "worst" SW films??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Avnar, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can think of several EU books and comics, that are better than all of the movies combined. And of course books and comics worse than the movies.
    So there is a chance of stories surpassing what has come before.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Just based on the nostalgic attatchment I have to Empire I can't possibly imagine another movie topping it for me.

As for worst....TPM is indeed my least favorite but I mostly enjoy it, so it's possible a "worse" SW movie will be made for me.... maybe the Solo movie that I have reservations about.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Avnar likes this.
  4. Darth Eisner

Darth Eisner Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    No and yes (sort of). No because there is much greater material to be explored in the SW universe, and yes (sort of) because we’ve already seen such works of art as Ewok Adventure or The Holiday Special.

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Yes, but not until the original fans, and the generation right after it (my generation), are largely dead. I think the only real thing keeping TESB locked in place as some kind of unassailable masterpiece is nostalgia.

Under Disney-LFL? I don't think there will ever be a film as poorly constructed as AOTC or TPM.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Original fan here, my favorite is ROTJ and I doubt any film will ever top that one.

My son is 12, his favorite is ROTS, which is my least favorite. The two Disney saga movies are right above that one for me, whereas Rogue One is near the top with the originals.

And yes, there can be a worse Star Wars movie made.

Tosche_Station and Avnar like this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes, I can't see ROTS being topped or TFA being above anything in my rankings.

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It's funny isn't it... I like you have ROTJ (just ahead of RO) as my favourite and ROTS as my least. ROTS is sooo far down my list I actually don't watch it at all! This from a guy who likes Caravan of Courage :D But ROTS is considered by many to be one of the best [face_dunno]

I think the thing I struggle with the most is Vaders "turn" because the backstory I had in my mind for years prior to the film (which I saw so clearly) was so different (not in a good way!) to what actually played out. I think that's why a lot of fans are so against Luke's portrayal in TLJ - Because they could see his future story in their minds and it was flipped on it's head.

I honestly don't think I (personally) will see a film worse than ROTS unless it seriously changes my feelings towards a character I am already invested in... The film I am both looking forward to the most, and dreading the most is the "maybe on/maybe off" Boba Fett film! I have sooo much love for this character that I will love it or loathe it :boba: I guess the level of emotion to swing either way means you have to care about the character to begin with... Danger signs there for me.

The worst feeling I think I will have as a SW fan (and God I hope this never happens) is indifference. Not caring either way...at all. Let's hope it never comes to that...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  9. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    "Difficult to see. Always in motion, is the future." - Master Yoda

I don't see us getting anything better than The Empire Strikes Back, or probably the rest of the original trilogy either. As far as how the films could go on the opposite spectrum, anything's possible. I could see films being worse than TPM and AoTC (my least favorite Star Wars films, but I don't dislike them).

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    If we count the Holiday special? Yes.

11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTJ and TFA are pretty bad imo, but there can DEFINITELY be worse.

Caravan of Courage and Battle of Endor at least are charming, and THS is so bonkers, that's it at least fun to watch.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    This is a very interesting question.

The odds of a movie, Star Wars or otherwise, being produced, in our current culture, that is more fun for a greater percentage of the audience and has greater longevity than The Empire Strikes Back (TESB) and/or A New Hope (ANH) are extremely slim. I would love to see it happen, but I think Hollywood and Disney are far too callow and feckless to pull this off. Rogue One came close and had given me hope that a breakthrough was right around the corner. Unfortunately, however, if The Last Jedi (TLJ) and JJ's return are any indication, Rogue One's greatness may have been somewhat unintentional.

I fear there are those at Lucasfilm which view the common/monotonous/boring/mundane/typical bs, which is moderately "successful", in other fantasy franchises as insight into how to construct a modern Star Wars movie. The fact of the matter is, however, the exact opposite is true. Star Wars needs to be bold, not only in comparison to itself, but especially so in comparison to other fantasy franchises.

Star Wars needs to be bold and fresh, but absolutely needs to maintain, nurture and develop the distinguishing characteristics that have allowed it to stand out for the last four decades. In universe details such as tone, evolving politics, mythos crafting, universe building and technological timeline need to be honored as much as practical aspects such as sound design (bring back Ben Burtt), camera angle and connectivity between various media projects because these are all central to the DNA of Star Wars. If these qualities are casually cast to the wayside, then we will simply have a separate trite product with the Star Wars logo on it.

If Disney/Lucasfilm can find a way (and I do believe there are quite a few ways) to honor that which has set Star Wars apart and, also, introduce new elements that are unpredictable, yet feel organic to the GFFA then yes, I think that there is a very good chance we will have movies that are quite a bit better than TESB and/or ANH.

13. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Whoever pinned ROTJ and TFA together as bad films needs to be taught a burning lesson. Like thrown into a lava kind of lesson.

Avnar likes this.
  14. BoulderFaceplant

BoulderFaceplant Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2017
    Nothing is going to surpass Empire in pure quality and intelligence. But as bad as TLJ and the prequels were, things can - and will - get much worse.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    @Deliveranze

:p

Deliveranze likes this.
  16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Not taking it back. [face_not_talking] :p

Jedi Knight Fett and Darkslayer like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well you will probably find gems among them.

18. BoulderFaceplant

Dec 20, 2017
    Honestly, yes. But since the only way to go is down, down we shall go.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't see my favorite being replaced given that it has stood for nearly 18 years thus far, and has survived several priority changes in terms of my personal taste in art. On the other hand, Johnson having even more creative freedom than TLJ sounds like a pathway to a new series low.

20. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    My favourite is still ESB, but it does still have flaws. It's not 10/10 great. Therefore, I hope that it can be topped. Equally, I HOPE that we have seen the worst of the worst! TPM isn't the worst (imo) because of Jar Jar. As irritating as he is, it's the skeleton of the film that is the problem. The script stinks and the saga still makes sense if you don't even watch the film. What a waste of time.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  21. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I think we already have the best, but the worst may yet be to come. Despite my personal love for the prequels I think nothing beats the original Star Wars (ANH) when it comes to "the best". At that time when it appeared in the theatres it was magic on screen. Whether the worst has been made already is an open question and I think that will be very much depending on how Episode IX is created. It has a potential for ending up as "the worst" if it doesn't somehow tie up loose ends from the PT and OT and make the "triple trilogy" a complete story.

The spin-offs will always be spin-offs and thus not a part of the original Star Wars story per se, though seen as stand alone movies they may very well be better than one or more of the saga movies. Thus, in my mind, they don't really count when it comes to best or worst SW movies. As more spin-offs are added, some of the magic will eventually disappear (but I would probably ending up seeing them anyway ;) ).

22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    My favorite will always be Empire.

There are no 'worst SW films' for me, just maybe a sharp decline in creativity and originality which is disappointing.
    So hopefully TFA is the last time so much story is literally copied from another film beat for beat.

I'm trying to remain hopeful for a good SOLO film, although reports might say it will be the worst SW film. Hopefully not so.

23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Well there is a ray of sunshine from an optimist. :rolleyes:

24. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Unpopular opinion here but i think that three movies in no particular order deserve the place on pedestal: RotS, ANH and RotJ, as the best SW movie. Its not in some cheesy moments or bad acting that all SW movies have, but in the story, and mythos, and characters.
    -ANH is the first and most important brick of SW Universe story.
    -RotS is the greatest and one of the most epic representation of mythos of SW Universe.
    -RotJ is the most intense ending for the personal characters' drama.

These three components: story, characters and world are essential and key for SW.
    ANH, RotJ and RotS represents all of them greatly.

wobbits and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  25. BoulderFaceplant

Dec 20, 2017
    It’s a mathematical certainty.