main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which beloved "fan favourite" should they bring back to kill off in Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 19, 2017.

?

Which beloved "fan favourite" should they bring back to kill off in IX?

1. Chewbacca

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Lando

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. R2/C3PO

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Watto

7 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Mace Windu

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Palpy

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Jar Jar

17 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. Boba Fett

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. "Ice Cream Maker Man" (seen running through corridors of Bespin in ESB)

22 vote(s)
    19.5%
  10. Other

22 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The thing is he has had ailing health recently. I mean he is 80.

wobbits likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Of course if Billy Dee is not well, or not up to the role from a physical standpoint I'm in full acceptance and support of that. I'm really just referring to from a story standpoint.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh, no I agree from a story standpoint it does not make sense for Lando to not appear in any of the ST.

wobbits and DARTH_BELO like this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I wonder if the prequel Solo movie will give a boost to main Lando's popularity

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    If the movie is received well. I would think so.

cerealbox likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I have a feeling it will. As I also have a feeling this Solo film will be much better than I've read many naysayers write on various social media...;)

cerealbox likes this.
  7. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Late to this party but IMO there should have been no Rose character and Finnshould have sacrificed himself flying into that gun to help save the Resistance in TLJ. Still don't really understand the point that was being made about Finn about to sacrifice himself only to be knocked out of the way by Rose?

8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    To have their cake and eat it too .

To show the development of how far Finn was now willing go, without the story actually having irreparable consequences of him follow through with it

9. Lucillalin

Lucillalin Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 10, 2016
    I'd love to see Lando, but not to die!
    Hope he shows up on the Solo movie. I'm sort of cautiously optimistic about that one.

10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The point was to illustrate that we don't win wars by destroying what we hate, but by saving what we love...

11. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    ...But this is the part where I was confused: wasn't he more or less DOING that to save what he loves? aka his friends, the Resistance, peace in the galaxy etc....? To me that thought is quite honorable and uplifting. I suppose this can be viewed in both ways-but seeing it as him attacking that gun only out of hate for the FO IMO just cheapens his character's motives.

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Finn wasn't saving anyone.

As Poe said, it was too late. Not only that but Finn's skimmer guns were fried. He wouldn't be able to do any real damage to that heavily armored canon.

All Finn would do is get himself killed and be a matyr.

That's why Rose stopped him.

13. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    That was where I was coming from. Finn was prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice to save what he now loves (and giving him a character arc from being a coward going AWOL to a brave selfless hero - although they missed a trick on a Canto Bight where the former FO slave soldier could have also been the one to insist on freeing the kids or horses or whatever) but Rose denies him that and between them they achieve absolutely nothing (except she gets to moon over him for a second)

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  14. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Er surely if he had crashed into the barrel of the big gun it would have stopped it firing?

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Did you see the size and depth of that thing. Finn's rickety skimmer would be like a rubber band hitting you on the arm.

He said it himself, that thing was miniature Deathstar tech.

You think Luke would have blown up the Deathstar by flying right into its barrel and ramming it.

16. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    And have you seen what happens to a cannon or shot gun if you put some kind of blockage into the barrel before it fires?

Saying that, it is irrelevant because that was what Finn intended to do but Rose took that away from him to teach him a lesson he was already exhibiting!

17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    It would be like a fly going in the barrel of a gun. It wouldn't stop it.

The skimmers were weak enough as it was.

Anyway we're off topic

18. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Even if that is true...so what? Finn was trying to save everyone and Rose stopped him...for nothing!

19. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    That's it right there, @Dukeleto69. I think the main thing here was what his intentions were. Maybe it wouldn't have destroyed the gun, but he was willing to make that sacrifice for his friends-that's how I saw it, and then Rose just came in and **** blocked him. So basically what I'm saying is I didn''t agree with the direction they took with her saying/thinking he was only doing that cos he hated the FO. IMO it's much more moving the OTHER way, and then Rose could have stopped him cos she knew it wouldn't be effective-kind of as a "Don't kill yourself needlessly, live to fight another day" sort of thing, rather than her thinking he's just being shallow and hateful of the FO-which like I said cheapens his character.

Agreed though, we're straying off topic ;)

Lulu Mars likes this.
  20. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    But back onto the topic of this thread... I do actually think the ST should have one of the three main new characters die so it isn't a completely obvious "we are killing off all the OT characters and links to the past so we can start anew" as such Finn is the one I would have gone with as it would have been poignant because of where he came from.

21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's possible that only one of them survives... depending on where they're taking the Jedi plot.

I can absolutely see any one of them die. It doesn't have to be Finn for me, at all. That's what many of us expect will happen, I think, but it would be cool if JJ surprises us by having Finn be the one who survives to build a better galaxy... with Rose (That would definitely forever mark him as the Samwise Gamgee of the GFFA, though ;)).

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  22. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I feel like one of the new cast has to go because there’s really no one else from the OT they can kill off. I’m sure it would have been Leia on screen in this movie. I could just feel it, especially when they said this was her movie like the previous ones were Luke and Han’s.

They probably won’t for various reasons such as toy sales, and proving points. It will probably be Nien and Lando that go, if Billy does come back. If they kill Chewbacca, then they very well could have just kept up with the EU canon. Wasn’t one of the reasons they decided to skip the EU canon was because Chewbacca died? Who said that last week? Someone from the story group.

But honestly, they do need to have some better fan service for 9 for those OT diehards. I get it let the past die, but this is the final movie and it has to end I believe on a positive note somehow. Killing off characters we love and replacing them with ones we are supposed to love according to the filmmaker isn’t gonna work this time. Didn’t work the first time, but it will be blantenty obvious that the ST, all three movies, had the agenda to wipe everything and everyone out from the OT, which you didn’t have to really do the move the story forward in the first place imo.

23. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree, I'm pretty sure one of the new cast will go. My guess is Finn. After TLJ it really seems like they're building up his character in such a way that it would be extremely emotional to see him sacrifice himself in some way to save everyone, or simply for the good of the galaxy's future. What more honorable way to go than to sacrifice himself heroically for what he believes, and to ensure his friends-who stand against everything he himself turned away from-are victorious.

In many ways, Poe's character doesn't hold the same emotional weight. So that's why I don't think they'll kill him, simply cos it would seem to...easy. I mean let's remember, Poe was originally never supposed to survive TFA. IIRC, JJ has said he originally had Poe dying earlier on in TFA and it wasn't till much later in the writing process that he decided to keep him.

24. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I mean... maybe if he did it at light speed. :p

DARTH_BELO and cerealbox like this.
  25. Clint Bevis

Clint Bevis Jedi Padawan

Jan 16, 2018
    Please bring back Jar Jar and have him brutally murdered