main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Unlearn what you have learned" - The Jedi Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaMatt, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We also have the cave Anakin enter in the first Clone Wars cartoon

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Despite the general consensus that this was just some Force-induced vision of Yoda's, I'm of the opinion it's a flashback to an unseen scene in TPM. The cave in the microseries resembles Naboo. One of the biggest plotholes in TPM was why Qui-Gon would let untrained kid Anakin run around in a war scene in Naboo rather than leave him in the Gungan safe place.

I think in TPM, Qui-Gon found this Force cave on Naboo, and took Anakin in. This is the scene Yoda is seeing in the microseries. Whatever happened in that cave convinced Qui-Gon to take Anakin into the war zone.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What? This is the first time I have heard of this theory, can you explan it?

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The cave (with Qui-Gon and child Anakin) on the microseries was the Dagobah cave.

BigAl6ft6 and Dawud786 like this.
  5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That was in a dream sequence. He also went into that cave that the Techno Union was mining and doing experiments on mutated tribesmen. The one where he had the tribal body paint.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This sounds more like destiny than anything, though.
    It does make sense that a lot of religious orders would just be working from the same raw material. That said:

7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    People on this thread say it's the Dagobah cave, i.e. a Force vision since Anakin never was on Dagobah. I think it's more meaningful if it's a flashback to an incident on Naboo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't remember that part, I was talking about the cave that the Techno Union was mining, as @Dawud786 said, the one where Anakin had the tribal body paint.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    A destiny Han has, I'm suggesting, because he's exceptional and stands out in the Force.

Not the other way around.

When Han drops goes into the flow state Dawud describes to pilot, he may well be better at it than Obi-Wan. Which, on paper, seems strange if Jedi-degree Force sensitivity is the be-all-and-end-all and, to me, suggests that there's more than just "the will of the Force" at play when it comes to these individuals.

Which brings me back around to Yoda telling Padme, "With you, the Force is strong" (after narrowly escaping death) despite her having no significant sensitivity to it. That is what I'm interested in understanding.

Pointlessly, perhaps, given it only happened in the novel and was cut from the script. Probably so these conversations would be avoided.

Maybe he just meant "Wow, lucky" but I think "The Force was with you today" (wtte) would have been better at getting that across.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think that was sort of Qui-Gon's whole jam, where he's getting Jar Jar and Anakin to join the party because he views it as the will of the Force.

Rogue One was pretty much the same thing sans Jedi. Each character had a role to play.

Jedi Princess, Revanfan1 and BobaMatt like this.
  11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Jar-Jar in TPM is probably one of the best examples. He's almost Dirk Gently level.

12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Hahaha. Right on.

Jar Jar's Holistic Detective Agency.

Ulicus likes this.
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I spend way too much time wondering what the PT would have looked like if Jar-Jar had actually been popular.

BigAl6ft6 and Dawud786 like this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I remember reading film magazines back in 1998 which speculated that Jar Jar would be the PT Chewbacca, rather than a comic relief.

Whomever wrote the article hadn't seen the film but had read descriptions of the characters or something. I don't think it made the connection between Darth Sidious and the Emperor, so I was given to believe that Darth Maul and Darth Sidious were two new characters to join Darth Vader as Sith Lords.

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Chicken/egg.
    Jyn is very into the Force by the end of Rogue One, as her moment with the kyber crystal necklace as they're trying to get through the planetary shield goes to show. I loved that so much as a recognizable moment of faith.
    Imagine if Jar Jar were Tarpals.

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Fair enough. As long as we're agreeing that people like Han are exceptional and do stand out in the Force in a way that a majority of those further along the Force sensitivity spectrum aren't and don't, I am willing to concede that point. :p

My perspective on the will of the Force is largely informed by the "gravity" take (at least this month, check back again later), so in that respect I am inclined to view the Hans and Jar-Jars of the universe as especially "massive" and the way events unfold around them being a result of that.

Kylun and BobaMatt like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can we return to this
    becouse I have no memory of Qui-Gon or child Anakin on the microseries. When/how did they appear? Or am I confusing microseries?

I think sea-witch and Force-entity-trapped-in-human-shape Tia Dalma called it "A touch...of destiny"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's at the very start of Season 3, immediately after the battle with General Grievous:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_Chapter_21

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    In the West End Games RPG -- and I'll note I'm going off of decades old memory here -- there was a system of Force points that all characters received (Jedi were rare anyway), and you could use a Force point to redo an unfavorable roll.

In this sense, I think an argument could be made that if you're a main character in a Star Wars movie, you're strong with the Force and the Force is with you.

Unless you're a Jedi council member.

Ulicus likes this.
  20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002

Revanfan1, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah.

If this were The Wheel of Time I'd be tempted to call them ta'veren. (An idea of Jordan's I absolutely adored for making the meta-fact of 'protagonists benefit from being protagonists' part of the setting)

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I didn't love the first few issues of the Mace Windu: Jedi of the Republic comic, but it seems like there's some really prime Jedi stuff in there, particularly as it relates to the Jedi's relationship to violence.

Which also reminds me of this, which I think is phenomenal:

In Jedi vs. Sith, wasn't there also a little litany a Jedi uttered before igniting his lightsaber and charging into battle, specifically to ask the Force for clarity if he must kill?

23. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Link broken.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Maybe without the time stamp. Luminara's litany.

Dawud786 likes this.
  25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Always liked that. I believe Yoda says a variation of it in The Gathering.