main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #14-19: Remastered (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedha John, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Had to Wooky her. The only image the article has is of her face. So what if she's muscular? Lots of women are.

2. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    Might want to read other things I said, but i'm not going to discuss this further as i do not want to hurt feelings, or add more useless conversation to a thread about Aphra.

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Doctor Aphra #19 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #19
    Kieron Gillen & Si Spurrier (W) • EMILIO LAISO (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    GALACTIC ICON VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    “REMASTERED” CONTINUES!
    • Evil droid mastermind Triple-Zero has been blackmailing Doctor Aphra into stealing his old memories…
    • …which also has included sneaking onto Rebel training grounds run by General Hera Syndulla.
    • Now hunted by both Hera of the Rebellion and Tolvan of the Empire, Aphra’s got a lot on her mind…
    • But if there’s anything to know about the Doctor, it’s that she’s always got tricks up her electro-sleeve!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    That cover looks amazing!

5. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    WOW! Can we all just agree that Ashley Witter is creating the most beautiful SW covers since the reboot? That cover is just ridiculous.

spicer likes this.
  6. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I secretly wish that Triple-Zero's old memories will reveal that he was HK-47 at some point. There were some actions and sentences by 000 in past issues that were eerly evocative of what HK-47 would do, and I doubt they were just random nods to KOTOR. Also, I believe that Chuck Wendig was forbidden to include HK-47 in the Aftermath novels. Maybe because the story group knew 000 is/was HK-47?

revan772 likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, she's right up there with Mark Brooks and Marco Checchetto as the cover artists I'm always hyped to see.

8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah, the Vader and Aphra covers never disappointed me so far and I hope it continues.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  9. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Out of curiosity, is it possible for Witter to get hired to do the inside art for a future Aphra arc? I'm not sure how the comic art world works in terms of assigning artist's roles for cover art and penciler. The inside art on this arc has been excellent. That said, it would be fantastic to see Witter do the inside art as well.

10. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    It seems that this is all heading towards an eventual confrontation, where Aphra will finally break free and destroy Zero. Curious to see where they go after that.

11. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Watch yourself. Trip Z is immortal. This isn’t his final form.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  13. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    These covers are Freakin' Awesome!! :cool:

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Man just read the last issue and gotta say: This series keeps on delivering.

15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Wish that individual who called herself Aphra and talked about Aphra in the first person still posted here. See what she would say about all these new updates about the character. I havn't seen her post in a little over a year now though. Believe she stopped posting around the same time the original Vader series ended.

BigAl6ft6 and JediFett10 like this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Triple-Zero is kinda like a classical comic book arch-nemesis. Aphra "created" him by putting his personality matrix into a droid body. He's an opposite to her (she's a droid tinkerer, he's an actual droid). He's bound to Aphra by his past (him being her servant).

I wonder if all that was done on purpose.

In any case I hope he sticks around for a while. He is one of the most threatening villains in canon, certainly more threatening than the clown villains we got in the sequels.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah. What is currently going on now is showing how all of Aphra's past activity is now catching up to her and she is having to pay for what she has done in the past. It will be interesting to see what all she learns from this current experience and how this changes her as a person from here on out.

Jedha John and tatooinesandworm like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't know. She's one of the few true antihero type main characters in Star Wars. It may take some time before she gets her redemption arc, if ever.

19. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I personally don’t think 000 was planned as Aphra’s nemesis from the beginning. She was originally supposed to only appear in the Vader comic as a side character.

Also, as the sequels jab really necessary? Sure, 000 might be more “threatening” than Kylo Ren in that he’s a complete psychopath and Kylo isn’t, but Kylo is a much more complex character.

20. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    I think the comment about TLJ is completely legitimate. The director of TLJ seemed to have gone to great efforts to make Hux as big of a clown as possible. 000 is certainly more menacing than Hux. And Kylo Ren...meh. If the First Order is to be so menacing, how can you have a clown like Hux at the helm?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    ...except that Snoke addresses this directly in the movie. No subtext involved:

“You wonder why I keep a rabid cur in such a place of power? A cur's weakness, properly manipulated, can be a sharp tool.”

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  22. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    That quote from Snoke is little consolation to the joke of a character that is Armitage Hux. The opening scene of TLJ IMHO was a complete disaster. It is impossible for me to take the FO seriously after the "can you hear me now?" Spaceballs parody.

Now Triple Zero? I can take him seriously as an adversary.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Characters can be jokes and completely dangerous at the same time, just like real people. The First Order is a complete joke but have killed billions. Neo-Nazis in real life (like Richard Spencer) are pathetic but still dangerous.

Outsourced likes this.
  24. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Perhaps this is my own deficiency, but I can't help but compare the FO from the ST to the Empire in the OT. Hux is in Tarkin's role now. . Imagine Poe pulling that stunt with Tarkin and imagine how the scene would play out. Poe's x-wing would have been destroyed after Poe's first clever quip. The Empire was scary because it was cunning, intelligent and evil. The FO, not so much. I will cease my complaining about TLJ and say that I am very excited for tomorrow's issue of Doctor Aphra to come out!

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    The First Order is in no way anything like the Empire. The Empire was a government. The First Order more closely resembles a faction.