main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lucasfilm Story Group: Questions and Answers/Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This thread is for any questions you might have regarding the Episode IX treatment contest. You can also discuss ideas you might have for your story and get feedback on them. Feedback must be constructive. Any trolling, baiting, flaming, etc. will be dealt with severely. Remember DO NOT post your entire treatment here.

We have some of the most knowledgeable SW fans here so if there's anything you need to know while crafting your story (like "Where do Kyber crystals come from" for example) this is the place to ask.

3sm1r and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The trick, I think, is to create a powerful and satisfying, not silly or ironic, ending to the Skywalkers with the limited material available. With Kylo as your Last Skywalker.

That's the nut to crack.

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I thought the message of the movie was that we should not think in terms of dynasties. If you make Kylo simply die in your story I might find it satisfying enough, I guess.

I would like to know how detailed you suggest us to be. I mean, in your view is it better with brief bullet points with what we want to happen or something more discursive? Should we also write the opening crawl? (It's just to have an idea, I know that you leave us freedom with it).

4. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    So, and this is a genuine question by the way, I assume we can't write, like, actual full scripts?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's really up to you. Typically treatments give a detailed outline of each scene so I believe the average is about 40 pages or so. But you don't have to stick to that. I'd suggest not limiting yourself to any set number though. If you have an idea for how you want the film to play out then just start writing and see where it takes you.

For the contest it has to be a treatment.

3sm1r likes this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Question: how much is Abrams paying you to farm us for ideas? :p

I'll see if I can pull something together. Anything to help the cause, and it'll be a fun writing exercise.

Birkendoc and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You also get those sweet colors if you win.

8. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    How are treatments usually structured for story's that aren't really your own? Are we writing dialogue? Or are these supposed to be more like detailed synopses of scenes from beginning to end?

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's basically like a short story. You can use dialogue if you want but it isn't a necessity.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  10. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    can we include some level of storyboard or concept art to help visualise the ideas or does it have to be text only?

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, that would be allowable.

littlewaves likes this.
  12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Are we in any way beholden to what official info we have?

For example, I’m thinking about this on the basis that Lucasfilm have made it a hard no that they will digitally create Leia, so I’m thinking about how to write around that, but wondering whether someone can just have a digital Leia and write a logical extension of what has happened in the ST so far without having to deal with how it would actually work on screen

Edit: nevermind, I looked up the answer already. Sorry

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  13. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I figure do what you want to do, and your readers will either except it or not. The Gods will judge you.

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I've never written a treatment or screenplay in my life. I do have a very sequential idea of how my own story would go and have posted most of it in the story thread.

Is a step by step outline sufficient?

15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    He said it's up to us. But apparently people will write on average about 40 pages. So we must be quite detailed.

I have questions:
    - do we know the extent of the FO army after TLJ?
    - is there anything we need to know about the situation of other planets in the galaxy?
    - is there any ally of the Resistance as far as we know?
    I'm asking it 'cause I don't want to do anything that is not coherent.

16. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    40 pages? That's a lot. You can do a good treatment in way less. I would worry less about detail and more on character, pacing and atmosphere. Try and make it a good read. 40 pages of dense detail will more than likely bore everyone. If anyone is going to do this, don't make it a lore book. Fans love to fixate on minutiae and detail. Tell a good story instead.

This is very, very basic - and rules are there to help until they stop helping and you need to break them - but may help some who have never attempted a treatment before.

https://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Script-Treatment

If anyone has any technical questions I don't mind answering them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  17. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Thank you for that! I'll try to come up with something. First time doing anything like it. See where it goes.

Satipo likes this.
  18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Main thing is enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3sm1r likes this.
  19. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Dang this is harder than I thought-going from plot points to actual scene descriptions. I keep changing my dang mind about things.

Can we have an extension lol?

Satipo and GregMcP like this.
  20. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    It's tough because it has this ensemble cast all with motivations and goals. Half a dozen or more people to juggle.

It's easy to write Rey vs Kylo, but... Finn, Rose, Poe, Chewie, assorted droids...

Satipo and 3sm1r like this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Is it legitimate to write (and send) notes about new characters' descriptions outside the actual treatment?

22. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    This is fun. No idea how one goes about this sort of thing, Ive got a vague idea of how it will go, but a couple of more specific ideas of things to incorporate. Got two docs on the go - one is just a blotter of ideas, background info and general plot ideas which I jot down as and when and then the main treatment, which is two scenes in.

I have a question: Is strict adherence to canon important? I know nothing apart from the films and Aftermath, so does it matter if we contradict comic books and the like?

GregMcP and Satipo like this.
  23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Seriously, I'm not entering but if people want advice or someone to bounce ideas off, my DMs are open (time allowing!).

24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    How much "world building" and descriptions of locations and "choreography" of action is necessary? I know this isn't a screenplay but the article that @Satipo posted is VERY helpful.

I keep changing my mind about one key element of the story I have but I think it's best to just go with it. After all, I'd say it's for fun rather than trying to come up with something that JJ will use lol.

Satipo likes this.
  25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Keep it to a minimum imo. Concentrate on what you want us to feel at every turn. Don’t choreograph punch by punch action for example. Give us the drama of the action and where you can root it in character. Location wise keep it lean as well. Enough to get the gist without bogging things down. If you can use brief, evocative and VISUAL descriptions that will help enormously. You want people to keep reading so hook them from the start the keep the turns and developments coming so we want to read the next line, para, page etc. But most importantly have fun with it. Also just get through it first. Get anything down at first. Then you can rewrite and make it good/ better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.