main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's doubtful they're going to shelve a completed film- let alone one that has tested fine, if not great, so far. And Marvel won't be able to work any X content in until at least 2020 given that Avengers 4 will be more or less locked by then.

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New Mutants to be the hardest-PG-13.

What is clear is the film is sticking to its PG-13 rating, and director Josh Boone has revealed in a new interview that the intention is to push the rating to its limits:

“This movie is probably the hardest PG-13 ever made. I mean, we’ve pushed it. The horror is pretty dark, but there’s also an emotional core, too. If I can scare you and make you cry: that’s the goal.”

The story follows five young mutants who are being held against their will in a secret facility, just as they are starting to discover their mutant abilities. Boone advises that those hoping to see these characters slip on superhero suits are NOT going to get their wish:

“There are no costumes. That alone makes it different. They can’t be with the other kids at the X-Mansion. They’re too ****ed up. They’ve all killed people, whether intentionally or unintentionally.”

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They got a year just bump it up to an R. Been doing pretty okay with R-rated mutant flicks lately.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I saw a report that the director of New Mutants that the film is going for a really hard PG-13. Oh, boy.

‘The New Mutants’ Director Josh Boone Confirms PG-13 Rating
    [​IMG]

Hans Zimmer Returning to Superhero Movies to Score ‘X-Men: Dark Phoenix’?
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Gifted finale was solid, I loved Polaris going Full Magneto at the end, which is what you could tell it was building for but it was great when it got there. the guy who plays the Trask doctor (great actor) got a gig on Fear the Walking Dead so I dunno if his death at the end may be legit, great moment anyway. And, hey, wonder twins exploding the old base was neat. but, yah, to me this is the Polaris and Frost Sisters show now and it did not disappoint in that aspect.

Anyway, did anyone see this New Mutants picture? It actually has lots of moodiness / punk rock vibe.

[​IMG]

Is the puppet supposed to be Lockheed? Cuz I totally think that's Lockheed (maybe changed into puppet form for some reason)

[​IMG]

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that's looks like Lockheed. It's probably just like a little nod to the fans.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I keep getting the feeling the movie is "fluid reality" in psych ward that may just be giant mental mutant power fake-out projection so basically I'm hoping the hand puppet turns into Lockheed sidekick dragon buddy at some point to save them.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting- I wonder if he's going to go with a new main theme or if they'll continue using the X2/DOFP/XMA Singer theme? Just for consistency sake I kinda hope they stick with the Singer theme... it's the catchiest of the 4 title themes so far. And, like, the first X film to not use it once it was composed was X3, the movie XMDP is redoing. Might be wise not to tempt fate again. ;)

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Practical effects are nice and all but in this case I think they should have gone the CGI route.

10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Ottman is out of the editor's chair too. I found it interesting learning that Ottman was both composer and editor on the ones he did do. One imagines that that kind of multidisciplinary approach has to be a great asset, though I've never paid specific attention to how well the music works with the editing to notice whether the results were out of the ordinary or not.

I don't know how I feel about Zimmer. He has now done the Nolan Batman trilogy, two of the DCEU films, one of the Amazing Spider-Man films (the bad one), and his output is non-stop. One worries that it's going to sound too similar to his other stuff. Also, I hope he doesn't stray too far off from the formula of the other X-Men films. Despite four different composers, the general tone of the soundtracks have stayed relatively consistent, I would say (with the exception of the first film that has less of an adventury feel and more one of dread).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  11. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Zimmer also did most of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Oh, Zimmer does everything. His imdb résumé is a mile long.

13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I think the only films he hasn't composed for are the Star Wars saga and spin-offs. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm sure Kinberg will keep Singer's theme for consistency. I imagine Zimmer was brought to create a special score for Jean/Dark Phoenix and something new for the rest of the films moments.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    X1 would probably be a point of comparison: Singer couldn't use Ottman for either role like he wanted to due to Ottman being busy directing/editing/scoring the Urban Legends sequel at the time.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Tru dat!

If Game of Thrones can do it, so should New Mutants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ Geez I totally missed the episode where Khaleesi time-traveled to a mall in modern times back when her dragons were just young-ins.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    About the one minute mark in the video below, we get are first glimpses into second two of Legion, and it looks as bizarre and trippy as season one. So looking forward to it.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Legion started around this time last year, gak, I needs is already!

soitscometothis likes this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The drop date for season two of Legion has been officially announced:

Lot of good comic book stuff coming in the next 3 months with Legion, Jessica Jones, Black Panther, Infinity War and Deadpool. Not to mention the running of CW's DCTV and AMC's The Walking Dead.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    less than 2 months, yay!!!

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    X-Men Spinoff: Kitty Pryde Movie in the Works From Brian Michael Bendis, Tim Miller
    I'm on board for a Kitty Pryde flick. Definitely moreso than a Gambit film.

23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    A Kitty Pryde film? A surprise to be sure but a welcome one. Please cast Lily Collins!

But is it smart from them to be Casting new X-Men characters before Marvel takes over?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, I just read the Comcast has put in a higher bid than Disney for Fox, so it's not yet set in stone that Disney will have the X-Men. Moreover, it will probably be a few years before the X-Men make their debut in the MCU and they'll most likely be a reboot like Spider-Man.

Lily Collins is a nice choice of Kitty.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahha there's this big hubaballoo about Bendis leaving Marvel for DC and he's right back to working on Marvel again.

I'm wondering how far off this project is because Miller is apparently locked and loaded for Terminator. Maybe Bendis will pick away at this script while he's getting his DC stuff up and running.

And I third Lilly Collins!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018