main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Fair enough about a reason. I can only give my opinion that’s all.

But ever since Ahsoka and Vader popped up (Tarkin didn’t feel forced to me which is why I didn’t mention him) at the end of S1 and then Maul and then Rex and even Thrawn, and now Palpatine it feels like they recognise there own characters aren’t strong enough by themselves and throw in these others to say look, see we have these guys in it

Filoni’s whole Mortis. speech about using for the finals it just seems to me, that he needed something to end the show on and not have it be forgotten about 5 minutes after it ends and he settled on Mortis hoping that will give it some long term Mythos.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I've always felt, at least since Rebels began; that Filoni and co. saw much of it as a means to tie up some loose ends following the abrupt cancellation of TCW. Ahsoka's story could very well have ended in a later season of TCW, as well as the Mortis mythology; of which he had plans of future TCW episodes covering it.

3. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    It certainly has felt that way at times, but I'm glad Ahsoka made it into Rebels, even as a supporting character. Her development in Rebels isn't something CW could have truly offered, unless they included arcs after the fall of the Republic. I'm happy, even for a time, that she was a member of the Rebellion.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For me it’s the same with Rex. I am so happy he made it into the show, but at the same time I do not like how all these old characters take time away from the crew.

cwustudent likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But they're not really taking away from the crew. They're all background characters who at most appear in only a handful of episodes throughout the entire series.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  6. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Personally I’m looking forward to all the Ghost crew’s fates (although Hera and Chopper are known, and Kanan as well I guess). I’m very invested in these characters, and all six have become my favorite characters in all of SW medium. Right from the first episode I was drawn to each character, both visually and from a story standpoint. They were all so unique and had a different skill set, and also came from very interesting backgrounds where I wanted to know more (reading A New Dawn and the Kanan comic helped too), and they were all enjoyable to watch on screen together. Zeb and Ezra’s brotherly fights, Ezra hitting on Sabine, Sabine being a sort of black sheep and feeling alone....

When I see “well they brought in *TCW character* it’s because no one likes the Ghost crew”, I roll my eyes since I know I care about the story of these characters, and see characters like Rex and Ahsoka as a bonus. And go around on social media, you can see a ton of love for the Ghost crew. The vocal minority shouldn’t be the be all, end all of these characters are liked.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I think what I'd miss the most after the final episode is the chemistry that Hera has with Kanan. In a way it reminded me of the chemistry between OB1 and Dutchess Satine from TCW.

8. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    @StarWarsFreak93 Well said.

When people say that TCW characters carried Rebels, I too roll my eyes. They're side characters at best and don't take much from The Spectres themselves. Their biggest involvement was in season 2, since then they've been nowhere near as prevalent.

Looks like that may change in the latter half of season 4, as everything comes together.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s not that I think it carried the show. I believe the Ghost crew does that. It’s that I just wish all the TCW characters were not there you know? I like that Rex is in the show, but I think the show could do without all the TCW leftovers.

cwustudent likes this.
  10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    So they are going to mortis in the second half

11. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    A lot of non-Rebels characters carry a lot of the show.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Such as? What character aside from The Spectres gets significant enough focus to take away from the main cast? What character do a majority actually watch the show for?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Mando Artist is partly right. Yes they are side characters but they are also the most interesting/talked about moments. Take Twin Suns as an example. People talk about the Obi-Wan/Maul moments in the episode (minor screen time) but not all about the Ezra/Chopper slapstick (majority) .
    Why ? Because it’s simply not at as interesting. I suspect that the writers think that too, which is why they throw in so many OT/TCW/EU characters in to the show, almost as a cover. Now I could be wrong but I don’t think I am

14. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Of course a confrontation between two rival movie characters will gather more interest to the masses. But I don't think that happens near as often enough to carry the show. The Spectres are the main characters, they are the focus 95% of the time. A max of 30 minutes of TCW character interactions won't carry the many hours of them, most will be watching for The Spectres as that is something you know you'll get. As hard as it may be for some to accept, people do like these characters.

Rebels is still Star Wars. The characters from different medias being connected in this show has to be a conspiracy?

The Spectres also had many great moments themselves anyways. I think it's silly to say the writers aren't confident in them.

revan772 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That is not known yet. I think we will see aspects of Mortis, but I do not think we will actually go to Mortis. I do not think we should ever go back there. We might see one of the 3 ones

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well this was an image in the most recent trailer. It's pretty obvious that there will be something relating to Mortis.
    [​IMG]

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s what I was saying, I just don’t think they will go to Mortis.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well if I were a betting man, I'd guess they were going to go back to Lothal at some point :) That's a good bet, right?

MandoArtist likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I have a sneaking suspicion that you are right. :p

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It was interesting; I was rewatching a Season 5 episode of TCW about a week ago and I know they mentioned something like "Old Lothal". Obviously I had never paid attention to it previously, but it certainly caught mine this time around.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you know what episode it was?

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm almost positive it was among the episodes of the Savage/Maul arc; where they're rounding up crime lords to join their siege on Mandalore.

23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It's possible you're thinking of Lotho Minor, which is the junk world where Spider-Maul made his home. I know I misheard that after watching Rebels.

Revanfan1 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  24. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Spider Maul, Spider Maul; does whatever a Spider Maul does...

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That might've been it actually.