main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "Luke Skywalker has returned to his Home Planet of Tatooine"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The One Above All, Jan 19, 2018.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Mainstream media coverage only works if people watched the news or read the newspaper all the time. Which even in the 70's, they didn't.

Right, people like you and I back then, found out those kinds of details because of that. But expecting everyone to have watched the news where Luke is described as being from Tatooine, nope. These kinds of things can slip right by people.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Mainstream means that it reaches as wide an audience as possible without people necessarily having to seek it out.

Very few people watch the tv and read papers "all the time". Many people watch and read them daily. Particularly in the mainstream. Actively and/or passively.

Nobody said everyone knew. But you came steaming in with the retort to that imaginary claim.

The fact is that many people did know thanks to the mainstream media coverage that you don't need to seek out.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or Takodana. Or Lah'mu from Rogue One. Or wherever the hell Luke's academy was. ( Skyrim? )

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    But again, you have to assume that those people paid attention to these things. That's what you're missing. I'm not denying that the coverage existed. But you overestimate people watching "60 Minutes" all the way through, and watching the interview about "Star Wars", in 77-78. Or that they read the Arts & Entertainment section of their local newspaper. Or bothered to read the "Rolling Stone" interviews. Many did, but many more did not. Some people even avoided watching the films when they came out, because they weren't interested.

5. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    That's only a tiny part of the mainstream media from 77-80.

Many people did not even see Star wars and Empire, or pay attention to it if they did. What is your point? That not everyone knew. Nobody said everyone knew.

Bit it was not obscure, niche info that you necessarily had to actively seek out if you were an average media consumer. It's one of the defining things about Star Wars success at the time. If those who saw the first film were not paying attention to the spotlight that society shone on the movie at that time did not learn of the name of the one external location in the movie, then it wasn't because LFL et al didn't go out of their way to tell the public.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm not saying that Lucasfilm didn't make an effort. My only point is that not everyone paid attention. I don't know why you're making such a federal case out of it.

7. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Wow. I never realized that the name "Tatooine" is never spoken in the 1977 film. It's fun to learn new things about your 41-year-old favorite movie. :cool:

8. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    :eek: Get the hell outta here!

You're the one that's desperately banging away at making the blatantly obvious, unchallenged and uncontested case for "not everyone" paying attention to everything all the time? What else? Water's wet? Not everyone wears a hat? Not everyone's seen Star Wars?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018