main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Alright, I have a question as I obviously missed something. What is a plane captain? Why do we all get one?

As I understand it, Akiva and possibly that sassy wingmate she hasn't interacted with yet are moving forward to be the sharp point of the attack.

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    listens intently as she has a feeling he meant her.

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I assumed that the plane captain was the person in charge of the ground crew looking after your ship. You know, from ANH, all those guys in beige coveralls running around unhooking tubes and cables and fitting the droids in their sockets before they all took off to blow up the Death Star? Watch any old WW2 Aviation movie, they're always in there. Complaining, because they lavished so much care and attention on their beautiful planes, then some idiot flyboy gets in the cockpit and gets them all shot up again.

4. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Plane captain is known as crew chief in the air force. It's the person in charge of maintenance on that particular plane. IRL, flight crews rarely meet them. If you ask the mechanic something about that particular plane, the stock answer is, "Don't know, sir, I'm not the regular crew chief."

Iron_lord and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Pretty much this...

And this...

It's not something required if you don't want to create one. Figured it might be fun for those that do, and it gives everyone the opportunity to flesh out the game a little bit more if they so desire.

And yeah, Vixen and Wolf are at the forefront of the attack at the moment.

EDIT: I was just reminded via PM of something I meant to include but didn't. I am leaving it to all of you as players to determine the specific payloads of your character's fighters for this mission. Full load of torpedoes or a half load of missiles, only one missile available, whatever suits your fancy or you feel would be the most fun to write while still dove tailing with our mission parameters (for example it would make no sense for Taab's B-Wing to be loaded with missiles). My only caveat to that is that you not pick anything exotic, so you're restricted to proton torpedoes or bombs and concussion missiles. At least for this mission. ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There's a lot of contradictory info out there about concussion missiles. In my headcanon, that just means there are lots of different types of concussion missiles. Since the A-wing is a lightweight dogfighter and can carry no less than a dozen missiles, it would make sense to me that they'd be small, lightweight weapons, optimized for tracking TIEs, and without enough punch to do a lot of damage to capital ships. (Similar to AIM-9 Sidewinder IRL) Does that make sense to you, @Bardan_Jusik ?

Iron_lord, Vehn, BookExogorth and 2 others like this.
  8. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    That's the way I've always viewed them, while I see proton torpedoes as more of a Maverick (AGM-65) or maybe even a Harpoon (AGM-84).

Edit: Or to keep it simple: In general, concussion missiles are for anti-fighter work, proton torpedoes for anti-capital ship work.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    OH MY GOD!!!!! PIXAR, PLEEEEEAAAASE MAKE THIS A REAL THING!!!!!

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It just occurred to me that Disney owns Pixar and SW now. They really could make it a real thing if they chose to.

I know they weren't huge hits, but Pixar's Planes and Planes 2 were both much more realistic than I expected. Pixar knows how to make movies with good flight scenes.

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, we're working on it in the coming day

Sent from my X Wing via sub space.

Bardan_Jusik and Sarge like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    B Flight is right behind you if you need any help. [face_plain]

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    You stay back there frosting boy

Sent from my X Wing via sub space.

Bardan_Jusik and Sarge like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ...mutter mutter... *scratches beard* ...mutter mutter curse...

15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    No cake for you! :p

Sarge and Adalia-Durron like this.
  16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Was Australia Day today and I've been out for 12 hours, BBQ Lunch, swim in a pool then to the beach for sunset and back to my daughters to watch fireworks. Long but wonderful day. Sunset at the beach tonight.........was a nice 35C all day and a nice warm night heading into our 42C tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, sure... taunt all of us who are stuck where it's still winter... :D (Sounds like it was the perfect way to spend a holiday, tho!)

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Had a chat with my son in law tonight, @Albaholly - he's from Manchester in England and he said tonights overnight temperature (27C) is a day time Summer Temperature there and that the 42C we are expecting tomorrow would probably kill most!! But as he put it - 'To be fair, we also get -25C so it's an extreme we'd not cope with', I delved further and got out of him that out of the two he prefers Australia over England's climate.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That doesn't matter anyway; the cake isn't real.

20. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Uh-huh. Keep thinking that! :D (more cake for me...)

21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    The Icing was real wasn't it??:eek:

Corellian_Outrider and Sarge like this.
  22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I have a question: Is the Ferry Liner reading as civilian or Imperial? That is, is it a civilian liner which just happens to be traveling with the convoy or is it an Imperial ship carrying passengers/VIPs/families?

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Now that is an excellent question and the answer is...

You don't know yet, as you're still too far away from the convoy. Once Baker flight's recon element gets close enough you will have that information. Can't make things too easy on y'all now can I? [face_devil]

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Oh, we'll get close enough. Two meters, meter and a half maybe, inverted in a negative G pushover. :cool:

25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

:p

And now of course I realize I need to make her an NPC of some sort... [face_thinking]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Adalia-Durron likes this.