main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Arcs that were not

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 16, 2014.

Tags:
?

Which unfinished story arcs would like to see fully animated in the future?

1. Darth Maul – Son of Dathomir

37.8%
  2. The Bounty Hunters arc

40.1%
  3. Ahsoka arc 1 – Ahsoka's Walkabout

21.8%
  4. The Yoda/Kashyyyk arc

23.7%
  5. Mon Cala arc

15.3%
  6. Ahsoka arc 2 – Ahsoka's Return to the Jedi

28.6%
  7. Dark Disciple

32.1%
  8. Rex and R2-D2 arc

17.6%
  9. The Siege of Mandalore

53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Filoni wants some of these arcs to be seen in a way that does them justice, this has been alluded to by he and Pablo. Animatics are just not anywhere close to that. You'll notice the Ahsoka ones were all held back, as well as the Yoda/Wookiees/Kashyyyk arc, which are all pretty special to him I imagine. He probably tries to make a case to fully realized these amongst the powers that be, after all he has a voice amongst the executives, but it's likely a tough one to make happen nowadays given the cost and other priorities. My guesses are he has certain ones earmarked and if they aren't produced as traditional TCW episodes, he will try to do them 2D with the Forces of Destiny animation team, in particular for the Ahsoka episodes. Those shorts may be a pilot for longer episodes. And if that never happens, or for the arcs that don't get the special treatment, I would say the script/story book accompanied by Filoni Art is a good idea.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Wait. Only now am I realizing that McQuarrie's Monument Plaza was repurposed for Raxus. How did I miss that?! I'm sad again. #SaveTheCloneWars

[​IMG]

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Thats a hashtag I have not seen in a long time... a long time.

TadoFett and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  4. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    They hadn't finished the animatics for the Kashyyk arc though.

I'm all for audio adaptations, with the TCW voice actors. You can animate any day, but voices age or dies.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think we have a few years before we have to worry about.

6. TetsuAero

Jan 24, 2008
    No time like the present ;)

cwustudent and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  7. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    At least get Daniel Logan into the recording booth! He can't voice 12-13 year old TCW-Boba forever. :p

TetsuAero likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Since he is in his twenties I think he’s got another 30 years before that happens.

TetsuAero likes this.
  9. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I thought he finished all his lines for that BH arc.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    He's also in both halves of Dark Disciple, I think.

TetsuAero likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am pretty sure he did.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'd bet Disney relents and gives us Siege of Mandalore fully animated one day. The others will have to be released in other means, like 2D, but I think SoM is important enough (finale of TCW) that Disney will eventually see the merit in releasing it.

kalzeth likes this.
  13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm wondering now that Disney has this new streaming format coming out that the idea of finishing up the clone wars in whatever animated style they want might come to fruition. It's had me thinking if maybe they might be able to get at least two more seasons with 13 episodes each. Some might get held back and not done, but, what if certain arcs get done? Rebels has improved in the animation tremendously and they have shown some very good stuff there. Season 3 and 4 so far are gorgeous. Could it happen?

DBPirate, kalzeth and TetsuAero like this.
  14. TetsuAero

Jan 24, 2008
    It's all about the money. The production of TCW was structured in a certain way according to Pablo Hidalgo, and after the Disney purchase, all of the Lucasfilm animation departments were restructured. (I'm guessing essential supervisors are not in a neccessary positions any longer).

However, that was 3 years ago so they might have come up qith some work arounds.

kalzeth and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  15. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I've thought about that a lot lately @vong333 . If they wanted to, they could certainly use their new streaming service to do more Clone Wars and it could be a great way to draw in fans of that part of Star Wars to pay for the service. And like you said, it may be done in a different style that may be more cost productive.

@TetsuAero You're pretty much right, Lucasfilm did do some layoffs after TCW cancellation, but when Pablo was talking about restructuring, he was referring to the overseas animation company CGCG in Taiwan who actually did the bulk of work on TCW. I think CGCG had a really big staff at the time of TCW production, and that must have changed a lot afterwards. Lucasfilm did the pre-production work and then would ship it all overseas to get animated. They were still doing work on Rebels along with another company, but the work was so much less complex on Rebels that I guess they didn't need nearly as many people on the payroll. I think Pablo was trying to illustrate the complexity of trying to produce more TCW episodes, and how there was a whole other company in the mix who no longer have that large staff so it's not like just hitting a switch and starting work again. I know we saw that there have been a ton of job postings in the last couple months for Lucasfilm animation jobs, so they're obviously gearing up for a new animated project, but the question is whether they would be doing something brand new, bring in more staff and go back and do more TCW, or both? I guess if I were to make a wager, I'd say it's likely they're just moving on to new stuff, and we will have to wait still for any form of the untold TCW arcs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett and TetsuAero like this.
  16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Its all possible. Who knows, I'm hoping that they don't pass up the opportunity to finish them.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I still don’t think we’ll see any of these arcs in their original form. Just to expensive.

18. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I've come to terms with that now personally. We kinda have to eliminate the raging fanboy which threatens to consume us all and take a measured approach with this... be grateful that we got the legacy material through story reels, comics, and the novel, as well as seeing TCW character resolution in Rebels (still more to come). But be hopeful that folks like Filoni still have an interest in sharing more of this in some form. I think it could be cool to see a 2D version of some of these arcs done by the team who did Forces of Destiny (Ghostbot). It would tie in nicely if they did the missing Ahsoka arcs this way since she featured on the 2D shorts. They could possibly crank out all three of her untold arcs that way.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I still think an illustrated script book, if they really don't want to do any additional work, is the best way to go.

They require only the scripts and concept art already produced, no extra voices, music or animation. Comics would be better (though SOD felt a little rushed), as it would capture the visuals of the show well, but would require extra production costs.

The minimum required to release these stories would be publishing costs. I know straight scripts aren't exactly ideal, or what was remotely intended by the creators, but hoping for TCW to restart production is just a pipe dream.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  20. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Filoni made a comment in the last year or so that he was holding off on putting out more material on the untold arcs since he feels they were meant to be experienced as Star Wars "cinematic" stories. But he either didn't know or wasn't willing to share what that would end up being. I like the illustrated script book idea, especially for some of the ones that would never get produced. At least it has a visual component to bring it closer to the visual medium of movies/TV... it just depends whether he and the other powers that be would be willing to go that route.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Filoni still holds out hope, I do as well.

DBPirate and TetsuAero like this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Is an "illustrated script book" just a fancy way of saying graphic novel?

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, sort of, but I imagined something more pared back than that. Just a book with all the unreleased scripts presented in full, with the occasional bit of concept art where appropriate.

Edit: Also maybe it could include some mock-up renders of how a finished screen cap from the episode might look.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    With a little more effort they could just simply transfer the scripts into graphic novel form. I can guarantee you that they would be far more popular. And that goes for all of the unreleased arcs; whether they made it in some form (i.e. a novel like Dark Disciple) or not. It's been done before.

25. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    I'm not sure how I feel about more comics. Bcs subplots had to be dropped for reasons, the story lost some detail and depth. Imagine how confused we'd all be, if they left Vos in SOD before Dark Disciple's release, ha!

[​IMG]
    For the final season, didn't the writers only get one draft in?

TetsuAero likes this.