main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The "What do you think of her Han?" conversation post- ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, Jan 24, 2018.

1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Did anyone else find the love triangle kinda ruined after ROTJ? For the rest of time when people watch Star Wars, audiences will simply cringe with disgust when Luke seems to express interest in Leia instead of becoming invested in the love triangle and that pays off dramatically in ESB with "I love you!", "I know.".

Upon rewatching ANH recently though, I interpreted that scene in a way I never have before. I always saw it as two guys competing over the attention of a girl they liked but now I see it could be looked at more as a brother looking after his sister. "Do you think a princess and a guy like me?" "NO!" Rather than being a jealous insecure Luke, maybe this is just Luke's early unconscious bond and protectiveness of his sister coming through. Like an older brother who dosen't want his sister dating a bad boy. Even when he asks Han what he thinks of her, maybe he's just probing his mind trying to see if this wild guy has his eyes on his sister.

You might then say Luke's, "I care!" means he's vying for Leia's affection over Han but maybe he's just trying to return the favor of comforting her and giving her support in return for Leia comforting him over Obi Wan's death.

What do you think? Even Luke's interest in hologram Leia early in the film, which I always interpreted as him being enamored by this mysterious beauty, now reads more like innocent genuine interest and concern.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Could be that way. I mean, obviously, before '83, it was just a textbook love triangle, a literary device I personally find annoying. Old EU had some interesting takes on it, though. Something like Luke realizing he was misinterpreting his natural familial love for her as a romantic attraction, and for a little while, he was actually a bit disturbed over it. Not sure if new canon has addressed it yet or is just gonna sort of try to forget it was a thing

Lulu Mars and Darkslayer like this.
  3. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Luke's affection for Leia before the familial reveal was exactly what it looked like. Young guy digs hot girl. The EU addressing it was a great way to get GL out of the corner he had painted himself in.

4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I never really believed in the "love triangle" thing, to be honest. The possible triangle is set up (and hinted at) in the first movie (it's clear Luke likes Leia and that maybe Han does too), but very quickly dealt with in the final version of Empire: the whole movie is a classic romance story between Han and Leia. Both of them are clearly in love with each other (Leia only kisses Luke to tease Han) and Luke is away from them except for a couple of scenes. Leia is never seen torn between Han and Luke, and Luke is never seen trying to "win" Leia over Han.
    (now, it is true that the original version of the film did include a flirtation scene between Luke and Leia, but that was not included).

jc1138, {Quantum/MIDI} and wobbits like this.
  5. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The "love triangle" was gone long before ROTJ. Han and Leia are clearly the romantic angle through all of ESB. I don't take that one kiss where Leia is basically trying to shut Han up - as a serious interest in Luke. I've seen the deleted scene but the OT has been watched and rewatched so many times that the deleted scene really doesn't hold any weight for me.

I never took Luke to be serious about it either. His interest in her hologram to me has always been wide eyed wonder from a kid who was raised with limited galactic travel experience or acquaintances outside his immediate Tatooine circle of friends. Sure he sounds like he might be when he asks Han what he thinks the chances are for a guy like him and a Princess, but pretty soon it's clear the whole Jedi thing takes over Luke's interest and then Han and Leia develop into their 'relationship' as it were.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    {Quantum/MIDI} and oierem like this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Looks to me like Luke was interested in Leia in ANH, but not so much the case anymore in ESB. And the reverse is true of Han, who wasn't interested in her in ANH, but then came around in ESB. So...no triangle.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas had Luke and Leia be related since it allowed him to A) resolve the love triangle, B) it gave Luke a reason to become angry enough to almost kill his father and C) resolved "The Other" mystery.

It was much more overt in the earlier drafts before getting down to what was filmed and then left on the cutting room floor. I think at one point, Lucas did say that he had already decided that Han and Leia would get together instead of Luke and Leia, well before the shooting script was completed. So it was there for a long time, but more and more it was becoming apparent where the story was going to go. That's why Lucas could get away with Luke and Leia being siblings.

wobbits and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  8. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    Looks to me that both Luke and Han both got a lot out of their time kissing Leia in TESB. So... Love triangle.

CLee likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can’t stand love triangles so I was thankful that Lucas resolved that one pretty neatly. It would have been better if it had never happened in the first place.

That said, I love that conversation and I do like the idea that Luke’s “No” was out of brotherly concern.

Lulu Mars and wobbits like this.
  10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke is only kissed because Leia was making Han jealous and the rest of the film, Luke shows no feelings towards her other than concern. Doesn't exactly scream love triangle. A more proper love triangle would be one where all three parties react in a similar matter.

Alpha-Red, wobbits and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    If I remember, Luke puts his hands behind his head and acts like he is gods gift, after Leia kisses him in the Hoth Sick Bay. I dont know if he was proud of himself or smug that he "got the girl" but what ever it is, it seems to me to definiately shows some emotion.

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  12. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    I always interpreted that as Luke going along with Leia and teasing Han. Luke doesn't seem like the type of person to genuinely gloat over "getting the girl" and shoving it in his friends face like that (a friend who just saved his life...). He's just being silly and ribbing Han.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Even though I never previously thought of it that way, I can see how Luke’s “grin” was designed to annoy and tease Han.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    Yes, I compare it to the scene in ANH where Han threatens 3PO with how Wookiees are known to pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose and Chewie acts all tough and smug. Obviously Chewbacca isn't a bully like that but he's playing along to tease 3PO, same as Luke does to Han here.

Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think it's more that Leia shut him (Han) by sucking his face and then walking out. It was like a mic drop moment. Luke thought it was funny and acted as such. This was after Han's smug attitude and you can see that Luke realizes is getting Han into hot water.

16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    ^ Exactly, he was just rubbing it into Han’s face. “Aww, the big bad smuggler didn’t get what he wanted? Too bad!”

As far as I can tell, Luke never really showed actual romantic attraction toward Leia. He saw her as more of a comrade, a friend. So the whole conversation between Han and Luke in the Falcon cockpit was more of Luke telling him to shut up — he isn’t really interested in helping Han woo Leia.

Alpha-Red and wobbits like this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, when you look at it now. But back when it was made, there was supposed to be that sense of romantic rivalry.

Sarge likes this.