main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well yeah. If you're looking for something similar to Max's rewind-time ability, than it's the wrong game. Chloe is the protagonist, and instead of rewinding time, she has this ability called "back-talk"; where if you say the right things you take control of the conversation and get things to go in your favor.

2. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I finished the main story of Mario Odyssey yesterday, such a delightful game. I'll be going for all the Moons and it may take a while!

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Just finished up getting all the moons in Super Mario Odyssey last week. What a game.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Chime Super Deluxe (PS3)
    This is a very simple game in concept. You have a timer and a grid which you must fill up with various tiles of differing shapes. To fill up the grid permanently and gain points, you must position the tiles next to each other so that they fill up at least 4×4 frames of the grid. As you're playing, a vertical line passes through the grid on beat with the background music. As it passes the tiles you have placed on the grid, each tile causes a subtle change to the music. As such, it's also a music game of sorts where you can play around with the music if you play the Free Play mode without the timer. The simplicity of the game makes it ideal for when you have a few minutes of spare time.

Here's a short introduction by the game's designer. (3:00)

5. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Abzu - It was a fantastic game, it had the same style as Journey, with a better adventure. It was very relaxing and the music was pretty nice as well :)

heels1785 and Life like this.
  6. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Far Cry Classic (HD remaster of the original Far Cry)
    I find it very strange to pick a phrase from an idiom, that has no meaning without the associated pre- and proceeding parts of the sentence, as a title, but what do I know? I suppose the designers behind it at Crytek are going to tell me that it is in fact genius. Upon finishing the game, you discover in the final shot before the credits that the title refers to a dossier entitled Project Far Cry, yet none of the sequels in the series bring up the series' namesake ever again. The game's antagonist reveals in his last moments that he was sent by a mysterious cabal whose designs for the future, according to the antagonist's belief, cannot be prevented. The implications of this, too, are never revisited.

My ranting about the series' naming aside, I can recognise the aspects of this game that were impressive at the time. Much of the game takes place in large, open outdoor environments with dense vegetation and large draw distances, aspects that were notable technical achievements at the time. Other notable features are that there are multiple ways to reach a waypoint. The ability to take enemy cars, boats and hang gliders to traverse the map quicker probably gave it a fresh sense of freedom too. Enemies in the field engage in idle conversations with each other that you can listen in to, immersing you further in to the game's world, but rarely providing you any useful information. In battle, the AI alternates between attacking and retreating to cover. Enemies run off to call for backup or to sound alarms if overwhelmed. And to top it off, the game is set in a pleasant tropical island setting. I can't imagine that any of these elements would have been impressive on their own, even then. But I can see how the sum of them made this stand out from the crowd in 2004.

The story begins abruptly without prologue, thrusting you headfirst into its world without context. I assumed that my character has amnesia, but it turns out that he is fine. The developers just preferred to let you discover who you're playing as, as the story unfolds, which is counterintuitive to a first-person game. You wouldn't think that the character knows more than you do when you're playing the game from inside his head. It strikes me as an odd decision. Then again, the game's story and narrative are hardly anything to write home about. Plus, the voice acting of the protagonist is terrible. I expected, upon hearing it, that it would be revealed at some point in the story that you were playing a game within the game all along.

Before the release of Far Cry 2, this was considered the spiritual precursor to Crysis, as this game was developed by Crytek, mainly as a tech demo of their CryEngine, and only published by Ubisoft. Sadly, unlike Crysis, you are pretty much forced into confrontation with the guards in your way in this game, and the more linear levels of the game's latter half eliminates the most compelling aspect of the gameplay. Worse, still, the new class of enemies that are introduced halfway through also make for quite boring foils to despatch of. In short, about half the game just isn't fun, and the other half is improved upon too much in Crysis for this to be worth bothering with unless you want to experience it for the historical perspective.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I thought I read a rumor that Far Cry 4 might be a PS Plus freebie next month. I've never played the games so I wouldn't know too much about them.

8. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I haven't played any of the sequels either, but knowing that they are all standalone stories, and that crucial plot elements from the first game and its spinoffs are never revisited, I feel confident in presuming that the series' namesake and the revelations of the last ten seconds of the first game are abandoned completely.

However, this video does its best trying to find connections between the entries.

9. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've borrowed Far Cry 3 and 4 and played them a little but I couldn't get into them. The spin off Far Cry Blood Dragon was really fun though.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I've downloaded a handful of PS Plus freebies that I have yet to play at all. Last month I downloaded the full season of the Batman Telltale series.

11. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm guilty of that with the Xbox Games With Gold. I download them but don't get round to playing them until months later most of the time. I'm determined I will get round to playing Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Dragon Age Origins, Beyond Good and Evil and Darksiders at some point though.

I can recommend Batman Telltale though. The story is great. I recently started the second season but I'm spacing out the episodes because the series isn't finished yet.

Ahsoka's Tano and Life like this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    There were two things that interested me in Batman Telltale: I like the uniqueness about Life is Strange and I've heard these Telltale games are similar. Also I've heard that Harley Quinn has some significant roles; and she's among my favorite characters in the DC universe.

13. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    If you end up liking Batman Telltale then I also highly recommend you play Tales from the Borderlands. I'm not a fan of the main games in the series but it has it's own Story and I loved it when I played through it back in November.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'll see. I still have yet to beat Horizon Zero Dawn; so that takes precedence over everything. And then I planned on jumping into the campaign of Battlefront 2.

Grievousdude likes this.
  15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    You spend half your time playing a female character in that game. You spend the other half playing a feckless coward of a man who serves mainly as comic relief for the female, since their stories are intertwined, so you can think of that, too, as merely choreographing your female character's quest.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    And what's wrong with playing a female character in a game? I'm BORED of playing male characters. Aloy's character is among the most unique characters I've ever played in any game, and that goes back some 30 years.

I just beat HZD this morning, and sat back and watched about a half hour's worth of credits rolling. Such a superb game is worthy of the developer's recognition. Finishing most certainly leaves me with a feeling of withdrawal; but at least there's collectibles still to be gathered and a "New Game+" to relive the full experience.

17. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

When did I write there is anything wrong with female characters? I know from being a regular poster here and reading your posts that you like playing as female characters. Since he suggested Tales from the Borderlands, I added a piece of information that I thought you would like about it, as someone who has played it. Other Telltale games with female protagonists that I have played and recommend are The Walking Dead season 2 and the spinoff standalone title The Walking Dead: Michonne. It is worth playing the first season of TWD as well, as Clementine's (the protagonist) backstory from the first season is very good storytelling and rewarding to experience, but it's not a must to enjoy season 2.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm sorry, I guess I took it the wrong way.

19. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    No problem.

Over a couple of days, I finished both Parappa the Rapper Remastered (PS4) and Parappa the Rapper 2 (PS2, emulated on PS4). By finished, I mean that I managed to complete all the stages to the game's satisfaction. I haven't been able to score the elusive "Cool" rating on any stage in either game, however. These are very short and simple games, but they possess a level of personality, charm and exuberant joy that elevates them in my mind to something quite memorable that is greater than the sum of their parts alone. I suppose I could write a tiresomely long dissertation on why I think so, but rather than do that, I will link you to a pair of entertaining reviews of each by the YouTuber James Caddic, who will explain.

Parappa 1
    Parappa 2

20. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    A while back, a friend and I booted up the SNES Classic and played through Donkey Kong Country in the cooperative team mode, which I think is the first time I've ever beaten the game that way (I was Donkey and he was Diddy). Still one of my favorites. I imagine we'll get around to DKC2 at some point.

darklordoftech and Life like this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just beat the campaign for Battlefront 2. I liked Iden's story. I didn't pick up all of the collectibles, but will go back to pick them up eventually. Hopefully they can continue the story moving forward.

22. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Did you play the Resurrection DLC? That concludes the game in a much more satisfying manner than the main campaign alone, and it's free!

In the last week, I finally completed Doom (2016) and Metroid: Samus Returns. Both were a whole lot of fun; old school experiences with very little padding.

Grievousdude and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I did play and complete the Resurrection DLC. I've commented about it in another thread. It's probably unlikely, but it would be cool if they could continue the story.

SensationalSean likes this.
  24. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Arkham City". The main campaign at least.

Grievousdude likes this.