main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't recall any Fett's in the KOTOR era and as for the Valorum's you could say they are old core Nobillty/respected upper class family.

So it's not that much of an issue in my book.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Cassus Fett

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cassus_Fett

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I stand corrected

5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't mind Cassus. The Mandos are supposed to be a clan-based society. Surnames would be pretty important in their culture.

kalzeth likes this.
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There were also the Organa family in the KOTOR era. Guess what? It was broadly hinted that they were very corrupt.

And sometimes they threw a curveball - like how "Antilles" is essentially the "Jones" of the SW universe and they aren't all related, or C-3P0 revealing that Han Solo, in fact, was not related to a famous Solo centuries ago.

Considering that the New Canon spans less than a century, there's really no way to compare the two though.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I thought Solo was related but the guy was a pretender.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Solo's ancestor claimed descent from the famous Berethron e Solo, but that was shown to false.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He was executed as a pretender - that doesn't necessarily guarantee that his lineage was false:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korol_Solo

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    He could have been a pretender-though its not clear and I suppose it's possible his claim was possibly legitimate.

Family lineages do become unclear and distorted after 3 thousand years anyway

11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    After three thousand years he's more closely related to random non-Solo's than ancient Solo's.

12. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, honestly... not much. To me, it's an alternate timeline, but I'll prefer to stick with the old Expanded Universe.

The new canon is kind of depressing, illogical and uncreative. After the Battle of Endor, things got kind of better in the Legends universe under the New Republic. But in the new continuity, the galaxy looks even kind of more depressing than under the Empire during the OT, ROTJ's happy ending was totally ruined and marginalized. And I don't understand (from an in-universe perspective) why the heroes are represented by an independantly acting small militia even though they're on the side of the dominant galactic government? I don't think that's because a lack of creativity, since many fan fictions writers can come up with better and more original ideas (really), it's just because Disney didn't want to take any risks, they knew that some people complained about to much politics in the PT, and therefore they took the "rebellion theme" again because it sold better.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  13. Tekman

Tekman Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2018
    Adrian the Cool,

In Universe, I guess you could have some kind of excuse that even though the Rebel Alliance to Restore the Republic won against the Empire, it's not guaranteed that they would form a government. In real life there are rebellions that either killed the monarch or totally destroyed the central government of their time, only to disappear from history to be replaced by some other power.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    We can say that it is too similar to the OT in some ways but having a defeated Empire make a comeback after a number of years is far more realistic than virtually anything the EU did. As far as what the New Republic turned into just because they won a war doesn't mean they were prepared to run a government. I'll admit there have been several thematic similarities between the two trilogies. But the Canon version of the post ROTJ era is really far far more realistic than legends depiction of it.

15. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Resurgent Empire being realistic? Sure.
    But the EU has the Empire surviving and adapting to the changing climate. I think we both can agree the unrealistic scenario would be the Empire being wiped out completely and gone forever.

kalzeth and Taylore like this.
  16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    No the unrealistic scenario was choosing to have an alien invasion. The EU was destined to go off the rails when they decided to go with ridiculous ideas like that.

17. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I'll take something out of the box over the same ol same ol. I doubt I'd like Legacy if it was just the GA vs Krayt's Empire.

kalzeth, spicer and Taylore like this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well in Legacy there was a rebellion aspect to it-and also an empire in exile so sort of a struggle for the imperial throne as it were.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ssi-Ruuk, Yevetha, Nagai, Tof, Kiliks etc.
    Moved on from the Empire, And something different from the Sith that came after.

20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    And when the Sith in the EU showed up, at least they called themselves Sith! The Imperial Knights also made efforts to distinguish themselves from Jedi/Sith. The Knights of Ren/Snoke are Sith in all but name...

kalzeth and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Which makes me think that Rey's new order will be called something other than Jedi, but will still basically be Jedi.

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I disagree. They made a point to say the Jedi are back.

What I'm wondering is if Supreme Leader Kylo will bring the Sith back to be even more like Darth Grandpa.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

23. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Yeah, I have a really hard time imagining that the word "Jedi" doesn't keep being used.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's time to let old things die.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I know he said that, but I totally see him bringing the Sith back in name just so he can say he destroyed the Chosen One prophecy.

26. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Anyone can call themselves Sith. The prophecy probably referred to the true Sith who were indeed wiped out. Not that Ben is necessarily that smart.