main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ways TLJ Builds/Fails to Build Anticipation for Ep. 9

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by scuiggefest, Jan 8, 2018.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I’ll give you a clue. It’s someone who has been to Canto Bight and Crait, and might feel they have unfinished business there.

2. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Kylo Ren is their version of Darth Vader, as in what many people thought he'd be in the prequels.

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  3. Nadroj ilain

Nadroj ilain Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    So in essence yes the survivors of crait turn in to travelling story tellers.

How they got back to canto bight with one ship remaining, when they had time to do it, why they'd start spreading ANOTHER myth about Luke Skywalker that doesnt change the status quo...

If your explanation works for you great but if you ask the simple questions and it requires a million coincidences to make it happen then its not a good story.

4. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    But that COULD be a nice twist for the ST. Have Rey fall to the dark side and ally with Kylo (she held off in TLJ but finally succumbs). Then we have two big bads who could possibly face redemption in X-XII

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    “How they got back to canto night with one ship remaining”

At a guess, and I can see how this is a truly left field suggestion... maybe on the ship that’s remaining?

6. Darth Vain

Darth Vain Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2016
    It's almost as if not enough time was spent on integrating all the characters in a satisfying, believable manner;). Maybe Rian thinks I-VI are like this so he'd be able to get way with it.. But I really don't know what he was thinking. How familiar with EP I-VI is he really. I wonder.

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Very familiar is the answer

8. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Personally I am not sure how I feel about the Mary Sue elements of Rey and the potential that broom boy represents either but...

Disney and LFL have already trailed that this is the direction they are going with the Rebels TV series and Ezra. There is no doubt in my mind that we will see lots of force sensitive kids on wild adventures all across the SW universe in the future. An egalitarian utopia for force usage!

On the point of broom boy and others hearing and telling the legend of Luke Skywalker...well that scene is clearly an epilogue and as such there is no indication of the timeframe and when it happened. It could be months or even years later. It was symbolic. Luke is a legend and as such is a spark of hope. Not saying I am totally cool with that but it is what is being said.

TOASTEROVEN and 2Cleva like this.
  9. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    Yes why didnt i think of that before! Omg brilliant story writing. Hundreds of men died, ships lost, holdo just comitted suicide, luke died but "hey guys lets hit the slot machines and tell some stories." Seems like a very Leia thing to do.

You know...instead of seeking some place safe to lay low, or join up with this "group of allies" people have been saying the resistance has. Lets go BACK to the planet we cause so much destruction on.

If thats the quality of story telling i have to look forward in star wars then this really is the end for me.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Er, where did you get “hit the slots” from?
    You’re acting like the film makes no sense but you’re imposing nonsense onto the film. It’s thoroughly dishonest.

The fact is I’ve explained the clear logic between the falcon jumping and the epilogue. It’s straightforward and requires nothing more than an understanding of the film itself.

If you’re going to rant about the idea that they probably went to play slot machines, then you either don’t understand storytelling AT ALL or are pretending the film is less clear than it is.
    Since it’s pretty much universally accepted that Canto Bight allows no other interpretation than “these people are terrible and the rich here are corrupt”, then I’m going with you’re pretending not to understand. Why you’d do that is unclear though, since it undermines your point completely. “The epilogue is unclear! And to show how unclear it is, here’s an interpretation that completely ignores all characterisation and plot of the film”

Tedious.

11. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    I have plenty of issues with TLJ although I don't hate it. But @Nadroj ilain i think you are being too literal. We will never know or be shown how broom boy or the rest of the galaxy actually find out. That isn't how legends work. We will be left to assume that someone told someone else who told someone else who told another person. It will be a pyramid cascade. One tells five who all tell five who all tell five etc etc. It actually doesn't really matter. The point is the legend grows larger than the reality. Eventually the legend may end up being that Luke tore Star Destroyers out of space and crushed AT ATs etc.

TOASTEROVEN and CEB like this.
  12. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    Except the entire "logic" falls apart when every single person in that group of five have already heard the "legend of luke skywalker" "the legend of the jedi" etc. TFA already tells us this!!! Even rey random slave from jakku has heard of the jedi and believes they are a myth

ChildOfWinds, MasterPrince713 and MS1 like this.
  13. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    That's what I started suspecting in Force Awakens. Rey has not faltered much or felt that power of the dark side yet. Her arc is also very much in line with anakins. I think it may have been thought from the beginning. With only a few in the know. Saying it will be a trilogy, people assume that her turning is not possible. But yes it is a different dynamic. From the outset it has felt like that is what Disney has been doing--making their version of the prequels.

The big question is that going this route greatly affects Luke's character.

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  14. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't understand your point?

15. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    Yes me believing that in a galaxy where we are told in the 7th movie that people dont believe in luke skywalker myths or the jedi myths people it should be impossible to change their opinions in two days by the 8th movie!

TFA han literally needs to tell them "its all true..the force, the jedi everything."

But ONE movie later luke appears and disappears on an abandoned planet and people just go along with it and believe it now??? Really????

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  16. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018

Why would people start believing in something they didnt believe in before??? After a couple of days.....and no concrete proof.

17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Agree
    Sorry, you seem to rather be ignoring virtually everything we’ve debated in favour of a new angle. I’ll move on to that, but for now let’s stay on the “OMG how did the kids on Canto Bight hear about this?”; you accept that the film tells us everything we need to know to fill in that (intentional) gap?

18. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    But who says it is a couple of days? There is no indication of how much time has passed. Obviously it cannot be years because broom boy isn't much older but it could be months. Also what better than a myth (the Jedi) becoming real and forging a legend. It doesn't need proof. That is not how a legend works.

Is there any proof that Greek legends/myths were real? But they inspired entire civilisations for centuries.

19. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018

What am i ignoring.. You guys are pulling out head canon to justify how he heard it and believed in it.

Im using canon (TFA) to make my point that A) people in GFFA are already aware of luke skywalker and his legends and B) they dont believe in it.

But 1 movie later they believe th next legend that gets told...

20. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    As it is both me and CEB I don't want to gang up but your argument can easily be thrown back at you because at the end of TLJ broom boy does know so it IS canon whether you like it or not! No head cannon there!

AND that is the nature of legends!

CEB likes this.
  21. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    Yes but the little world building TFA gave us established that people have heard the legends and dont believe them

You bring up greek myths.. How many times would it take you hearing that Hercules came back to defeat isis before you believed it??

Comparing GFFA not believing their myths and The greeks having faith in theirs is not a valid comparison

ChildOfWinds and MasterPrince713 like this.
  22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    You’re being thoroughly dishonest. If you’re asking for explanations as to how something makes sense then getting them, don’t pretend that logic presented clearly is “head canon“

23. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    The second your "logic" starts retconning canon its "head canon"

You cant have people aware of the myths and legends and dismissive of them in one movie but then hedge the foundation for the next installment on people believing the myth theyre so dismissive about!

ChildOfWinds and MS1 like this.
  24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    My logic doesnt retcon. It just demonstrates that the flim gives us the information we need to understand how children on Canto Bight have heard the story.

25. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Hmmm BTW I rewatched TFA the other day. Gotta say I didn't take away that people "didn't believe" what I took was that they were "myths and legends" in the same way of Greek myths and legends (ie people don't k ow if they are real or not). What Han Solo does is say actually those myths actually did happen, they were real not just myths and legends. Subtle but different to your point about people believing.

CEB likes this.