main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    Well, John Jackson Miller's amazing "Kenobi" novel is already a very good reference to look at for a Kenobi film. Krayt dragons, Tuskens, Jundland wastes. What's not to love?

BigAl6ft6 and GunganSlayer like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It's one of my favorite Legends books. It is like a western with Obi-Wan.

3. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I hope the effort transforms Ewan to Tom Hanks and then to Alec.

GregMcP and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I think there's plenty of room to make a very interesting Anthology movie of Obi.

His back story is woven into the Saga already (PT, OT) so they can just skip all that and spend time on him.

We've never seen Alderaan. Let alone Alderaan secretly working against the Empire.

Why not have him be Jimmy Smit's Batman, doing secret missions for the Rebellion in the years the Skywalkers are just kids and offscreen. All that "serving my father during the Clone wars" stuff can be expanded on, while Empire Jedi hunters scour the universe for him.

Just make it fun though. Ewan has a personality and a scathing wit - as did Alec Guiness. The writers need to use that.

Baron_Papanerd and 11-4D like this.
  5. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Since it will be a spin-off someone has to do it. I assume they can't really use the existing one. Let's hope John Williams will be the one to do it and it would be good if there were some parts (not too much) resembling "Ben's Theme".

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Considering his age and the fact that 'Obi-Wan' is not confirmed then it's not going to happen.

7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't see john williams being involved personally

its a thing of knowing that he can't compose every movie for the foreseen future and that at some point they will need to start getting other composers.

8. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    They already did that for Rogue One.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah and they will probably want to carry on doing that since stopping and trying to get john williams to do every film is like just admitting they can't find anyone as good as him.

10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think a cool idea for a villain would be a jaded Jedi. Sort of like A'Sharad Hett from Legends. Maybe he finds out Obi-Wan is protecting the son of Anakin, and wants revenge on the Skywalkers. Would fit in the theme of Obi-Wan being the protector and guardian of the Skywalker bloodline.

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    "The Skywalkers are a Menace to the Galaxy! Why do you protect them?"

Mostly Handless and Deliveranze like this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If he is ever to compose another SW movie after IX then I think he might do the Rian trilogy. He will not score the spinoffs though.

13. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    He’s providing the main theme for Solo. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does the same for Kenobi.

As for Rian’s trilogy...... I doubt it. Disney look intent on moving into new areas and I also suspect that JW is reaching the end of his working life. He deserves a rest!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Qui-Gon Keith

Oct 5, 2015
    Give me a Kenobi movie without destroying Obi-Wan as a character. Can you imagine if Rey is retconned (again) as a Kenobi in Ep IX, then they will have to show us Obi-Wan breaking the Jedi Code while in exile? The one thing that defines Obi-Wan and there's a possibility Disney would break it just so they can make Rey a Kenobi.

CaraJinn likes this.
  15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    a) Disney isn't in charge of these movies, Lucasfilm is
    b) they jut released a movie in which Rey's parents were clearly defined as
    nobodies
    , and while that could change in theory, there is zero reason to assume that Lucasfilm, much less Disney, would try to force such a change. So why even worry about it?

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think this way of thinking leads to misery.

"Luke/Han/Obi Wan MUST be like this."
    You're going to get burned with unalterable ingrained attitudes.

And the Obi Wan Sits on Tatooine and does nothing else theorem will only cause pain for you.

darth_mccartney, Avnar and Krueger like this.
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    That's why a lot of fanboys annoy me when they set conditions on things. "It must have this, this and this, otherwise I'm out!". How can you take that seriously and have an adult conversation with someone like that? Honestly, when I read comments like that a part of me hopes that that particular fan will be disappointed so they can just disappear. Entitlement and this weird sense of ownership, IMO, belong in the worst section of fandoms. And yes, setting conditions like that, more often than not, just leads to disappointment and misery.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    darth_mccartney, wobbits and Avnar like this.
  18. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I'm not so worried about Rey being a Kenobi, but I agree that it's important that they somehow keep Obi-Wan in character. Maybe even more so than with most other characters simply because he's the one except Yoda and Anakin/Vader who has appeared in most of the films. Thus he's one of the more developed characters in the saga which makes him more important to keep in character than other, more random, appearances. I know I'm a bit biased, but what would Obi-Wan be without the dry wit and the calmness and the loneliness we sensed when we first saw him played by Alec Guinness in ANH?

They can, and probably must make some twists to get a story that will attract more than the hardcore fans, but severing his personality would really make me disappointed. Too sad I wouldn't know until after I'd seen the movie, so the money would have left my pocket anyway.

DarthKeithSkywalker likes this.
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think the biggest challenge with this film is giving Obi-Wan a meaningful character arc, given that he's pretty resolute in his mission in watching over Luke from the end of ROTS to the start of ANH.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think the solution is to build a story around a threat to that mission. Give Obi-Wan no choice but to take action.

21. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Technically, Lucasfilm is Disney now.

DarthKeithSkywalker likes this.
  22. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I think there is a lot of potential to make a film based on events BEFORE he becomes a hermit on Tatooine. After he drops off baby Luke immediately after ROTS he has lots of loose ends to tie up to ensure he remains hidden and things to do before he finally settles down. This could totally include trips to Dagobah, Aalderaan and other planets. Perhaps there will be other threats to eliminate to protect baby Luke and/or Leia as well.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  23. Qui-Gon Keith

Oct 5, 2015
    I just hope they do keep Obi-Wan in character while enriching his story between ROTS and ANH. Letting Obi-Wan be Obi-Wan is vitally important than how Han or Luke behaved in the ST since timeline wise, Obi-Wan is supposed to become Ben in between those years while for Luke & Han, it has been 30 years.

And for the record, JJM's "Kenobi" novel is absolutely brilliant. I'm not a proponent of Obi-Wan sitting around in the Jundland wastes at all. That's not what I'm saying. Let Obi-Wan be Obi-Wan. That's all I'm saying.

24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No, technically Lucasfilm is Lucasfilm, and belongs to Disney.

That's beside the point though. What matters is who makes the decisions, and in this case that is Lucasfilm, not Disney. Disney lets its sub-studios produce the movies, that's what they have success with, that's why they bought them in the first place. They aren't EA, who buy something, change it into something entirely different and then wonder why it isn't working anymore.

I agree, that's the most logical path they could take. Allows for plenty of suspense and action, with high stakes but nothing that feels forced.

25. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I mean, we're getting into semantics and I don't really disagree with what you're saying as far as the decisions being made. I was just being cheeky. IMO, if Disney owns Lucasfilm than Lucasfilm is a part of Disney. So Lucasfilm is Disney but Disney is not Lucasfilm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.