main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    No of course lifting the rocks won’t be directly addressed. Although those shots I just mentioned do feed into what happens not long after - Luke is dying, and Rey is shown sensing it before even Leia (and Kylo isn’t shown sensing it at all). Rey even senses Luke’s emotions as he dies.

It’s subtle. I can’t say I liked how RJ executed various ideas, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there.

One can loathe TLJ while still believing certain elements weren’t horrible. Doesn’t illegitimize one’s major issues with the movie. (For example, one can find Poe’s reuniting with BB-8 to be adorable while still hating his storyline.)

@Demsa Aztor

Yes - imo some of this comes down to how many of the story construction considerations should have been centered around what characters.

Honestly, my biggest issue re Luke in TLJ is not what RJ did with the character but how he took mains not to make what he was doing with that story clear. I’m pretty sure he fully intended many fans to leave the theater scratching their heads in puzzlement.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    But that's what I"m talking about . What they could have done, not what's in canon.

nightangel and Storm_Cloud like this.
  3. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I thought it was an extremely heroic an creative turn for Luke. Gaming said that, I think for hid arc to be truly satisfying, we need to see him at peace with himself in IX.

4. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh, I LOVED the send-off Luke got. If anything, I felt the problem was that (to me, at least) he ended up overshadowing the new guys.

And I expect the role he’ll play in 9 will be smaller but still awesome :)

TadoFett and Strongbow like this.
  5. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    Yes, I agree, he does need to be at peace with himself. I just felt it was all hurried in 8.

Strongbow likes this.
  6. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yeah, and sorry for the silly autocorrect mistakes I did not catch before posting! Yes... if I have a complaint about VIII it's that we got too little "Luke is BACK baby!" But IX can fix that. Hear me JJ!!?? Make IX fix that!

burg2774 likes this.
  7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    If he is at peace in IX or not doesn't change the fact that it will be Rey who creates the new Jedi without any influence of Luke. That's what makes IX for me unwatchable.

8. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeah. I’m glad, though, that TLJ set up Luke’s return in 9. One of the few things I think we can be sure of.

@nightangel

Why do you think Luke will have no influence over bringing back the Jedi? Luke is definitely returning in 9 and definitely having at least one scene with Rey. Which will presumably be more than “Sorry I was such a jerkface on Achoo. Bye now, and good luck!”

9. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    It's the way the whole film was "put together'' is the best way I can explain it. Maybe the editing.

10. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    Respectfully, I have to disagree. Who says Rey will create a new Jedi order? She may well be the last one. That and I rather see Luke in peace now than be left hanging for two years. Again, it's not Luke's story. I just wanted a better ending to his arc.

11. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    Hmmm, I still waiting on official confirmation MH is in 9.

12. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I just don't expect more than a short cameo scene with a little advice that Rey for sure knows better. But Luke is dead, how can he create the new Jedi???Rey didn't need Luke when he was alive.[face_dunno]

ChildOfWinds and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Who knows if Luke will train new Jedi. But influence? Yes.

Apparently Rey needs Luke to be something. Maybe he can accomplish as a FG what he couldn’t while alive.

Yoda described being a FG as “immortality.” And we know that now FGs can affect the physical world. This is canon. So, in-story, it’s true.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    That's the point, his influence to (broom boy) or (space Jesus) thing means nothing to me. A myth means nothing to me. Luke won't train any new Jedi = new Jedi are Rey's Jedi.

15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It's a myth built on a lie, an illusion at best.

If Rey is as powerful as shown so far and grows more powerful then Luke should do so equally, that would mean he is able to come back to being flesh and blood. May be it's the way he left that world to become one with the Force...

Or may be we'll get a scene like this where the ghosts of Yoda, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan decide to send Luke from the netherworld.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    did you expect Luke to survive the trilogy? I did not. I am just curious.

themoth likes this.
  17. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    It's natural for us to have wanted the ST trilogy to be about Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order. But the timing of it made that difficult because of how long after ROTJ it is now. But, to be fair, the burning of the Jedi Temple only happened a few years earlier, so...I don't know.

My bigger question, above all, is this...

In interviews way back over a year ago, Rian Johnson said the key for him was cracking that first question of "Why is Luke in exile?" And I could be wrong, but does TFA ever say that Luke is in exile? I don't think it does. It says he vanished. Han says people think he went looking for the first Jedi temple. But I don't think it was ever said that he was in exile. JJ Abrams kind of left that question wide open.

So RJ assuming that Luke was in exile, and then making up reasons why, might have been a flawed strategy. Maybe Luke didn't have to be in exile. Maybe he was there for certain reasons, and was planning to return. We'll never know.

18. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Wasn’t Luke broken and in exile after his temple was destroyed in GL’s treatment?

19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    nope, I did not and that is also not the problem. Luke could have died early, later or even survived the trilogy. That's not the point, taking away all of his achievements and his Jedi legacy to give it to newbie Rey is the real problem.

If they wanted newbie Rey to have this legacy, why not 100 years later? Luke could have appeared as a force ghost to give advice at one point.They could have even kept the grumpy Luke dynamic at first not trusting Rey, or Rey not trusting force ghost Luke that she only heard stories about. If you think about it, the sentence of Rey thinking that Luke was a myth would have even better worked with 100 years later. It was simply a very bad decision to do it 30 years later and destroy everything for the OT3. [face_sigh]

SkywalkerOG and Darth Nikean like this.
  20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Oh, okay. Carry on then. I find such discussions a complete waste of time, especially considering I’m a big fan of the film already. They’re just therapy sessions. Coulda, woulda, shoulda doom and gloom. And when someone does explain themselves the haters don’t really want to hear it because minds have already been made.
    That’s a poor example to use, so I don’t know why you’re so smug using it. Luke pushes the bombs AWAY from himself, and at the feet of his enemies, just far enough to sustain the blast. It’s nowhere near the intensity of an AT-AT bombardment. The story didn’t have Luke arrive on Crait, and you just pretend the film isn’t canon (it is) as a coping mechanism.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As I've said before, there is literally no way to have Luke out of the picture that will not mightily enrage one Skywalker fan faction or another. I recall when the Legacy comics came out (set approx. 100 years post-RotJ...huh...how about that o_O) and folks -some of whom are posting in this very thread- were wailing and gnashing their teeth about the ruination of the Skywalker Legacy(TM).

Luke dies early? Fans are mad that he fell victim to The Worf Effect.
    Luke's Jedi Order are killed off? Same, multiplied exponentially by the number of Jedi killed off.
    Luke is an active Jedi Master? Completely overshadows the protagonist of the new movies.
    Luke is an inactive/old Jedi Master? Fans are mad that they didn't get to see Luke in his prime.
    Luke is inactive, all the while waiting for The Right Apprentice to come along? Fans would screech "Mary Sue" to the high heavens, more shrilly than they already are.

themoth and MarcJordan like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    True enough. I understand that. However the lasting peace would still be short reletively speaking.

nightangel likes this.
  23. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Yeah, I mean the OT3 are really having miserable ends to their lives, that's for sure.

I'm sure Harrison Ford demanded Han Solo die in TFA and I doubt he cared at all how he went out, as long as he went out. But Luke...Mark Hamill...also went out having failed at what he set out to do and being filled with grief. And poor Leia...still fighting...losing everyone around her, but man she's still fighting hard.

I mean, yeah, I would've expected they would've wanted to move on from the OT3 in a more graceful way, giving them some sort of peace/accomplishment. But instead they made them (at least Han and Luke) into loser bums who failed and then ran away scared. It's hard to say, but it's kind of true.

24. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    At least with Han, we got to see him reunite with the Falcon, loved ones and and see him in action one last time.

With Luke we will never see him hold his green lightsaber or take his XWing out of the water for one final moment. I’m sure Rey will have both or give the Xwing to Poe.

It makes you wonder though, if what if Harrison’s conditions were that he would do these movies if he signed on for more than one. Would he have appeared in flashbacks or survived TFA and what would that mean for Luke and Leia? Would have changed the killing spree set out by LF to kill anything related to the OT.

It would be a great ending, if Luke was redeemed, some how brought back, to train the Jedi the right way, with Rey. But as it stands in my mind, Rey will be looking over to see the 3 Force ghosts of Han, Luke and Leia watching her just like the three ghosts did in RotJ.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  25. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    I agree plus if they were going to kill everyone off anyway. I would rather what you said happened .

-LordSkywalker- and nightangel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.