main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI RECEIVES 4 OSCAR NOMINATIONS

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This happened on Tuesday

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So there's going to be a sequel to The Shining

Did anyone see this director's other works? This will be interesting as due has to follow Kubrick and make a sequel to a film that King was not pleased with. Also, I did not know King wrote a sequel to his book The Shining.

King’s book picks up with a middle-aged Danny Torrance years after the events at the Overlook Hotel, still psychic but in struggle mode, and soon to be targeted by a new supernatural menace. Redrum!

Rylo Ken likes this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Doctor Sleep? It's a strange and unpleasant book. Plot elements of David Mitchell's vastly better written The Bone Clocks, published exactly a year later, are oddly similar to King's book, though Mitchell claimed coincidence when asked about it. I dunno, but Doctor Sleep is terrible. Obviously after Cloud Atlas no one wants to see another Mitchell book adapted for the big screen ever again either.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It says it's a sequel but it just looks like a remake.

6. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Movie Bob came out with his anticipated worst.

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Juliet316 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Geeze, I hope we get to see those Sundance releases before Dec 2018. Sometimes Sundance darlings can take, like, a year to be released.

I'm super-interested what the credit is going to be on the Oscar broadcast, I think it'll just say "Based upon Characters created by Marvel Comics" cuz Logan the movie definitely a hodgepodge of different continuity and elements from X-Men comics. At most it takes a very basic setup, Old Man Logan, and runs with it. Which is fine cuz the award isn't really about fidelity to the original source. Basically anything based on pre-existing materiel gets "Best Adapted". So any movie that's a sequel to anything, if it gets nominated, is automatically "Adapted" (ie. the Before Midnight nomination which was based on Before Sunrise film from 20 years ago)

In other news will Woody Allen's latest film even get released? Well, the source on it is freakin' Page Six so, y'know, it's Page Six. So I'm guessing it will but maybe with a minimal amount of flourish since Allen has gotten more and more negative press these last few months.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  9. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Black Panther premier tonight

Eager to see the twitter reactions , even though I never trust early reactions to films.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I remember a while back hearing that John Cusack wanted to play Danny Torrance if Doctor Sleep was ever adapted. Wonder if he'll try to make that happen now.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's so strange to call it a sequel- there's no apparent plot or character connection to it from the original other than the facility looks about the same. Why would anyone want to watch a direct to video DBS remake without SLJ, LL Cool J, Stellan Skarsgard and Saffron Burrows when a bigger budgeted DBS with SLJ, LL Cool J,Stellan Skarsgard and Saffron Burrows already exists?

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  13. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Been waiting for Mute but, y'know what, I can just wait barely a month and skip the trailer till I see the whole thing.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm hearing crazy good things about Hereditary. Hope it pans out; we need all the good horror movies we can get.

I'm going to wrap up the Best Picture movies before the ceremony hopefully. I only need to catch The Post, Darkest Hour and Phantom Thread.

So far, my brief thoughts:

Call Me By Your Name - elegant, meticulous, beautifully acted, self-indulgent in all the best ways and some of the bad ways.

Dunkirk - a technical marvel of incredible scope, really intense, creatively told, emotionally powerful climax

Get Out - incisive screenplay, incredibly smart and more than a little sneaky, very entertaining

Lady Bird - great screenplay, great performances, an absolute delight, basically a perfect movie

The Shape of Water - astoundingly well-crafted, a great ensemble, has the balls to really go for it, truly transporting

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - best film of 2017 I've seen, bracing, hilarious, heart-breaking, amazing performances

BigAl6ft6 and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Given the Oscars aren't until March this year (you can thank the Olympics for that one), you've got little over a month to watch the rest.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Might be good for their box office take too- give people more time to see them instead of cramming them into a couple weeks before the awards and a couple weeks after the awards.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Call Me By Your Name, 3 Bill boards, and Get Out are the only one’s in he conversation for best pic IMO. CMBYN gets knocked out because of its limited release. Not enough buzz for a movie that started getting hot way back at Sundance last year. Still a film I’d be happy with winning if chosen. Won’t happen.

3 Billboards on the other hand got into more theatres, and was a festival darling. It’s also pretty great and an easy winner.

Then there’s Get Out. The most genuinely accessible of the lot. Made the money and got the praise from critic and movie goer. I honestly think it has a big shot at being the surprise win. Personally I think it should win.

Call Me By Your Name has no chance, but will act as the wall that will prevent all the other contenders from winning. It’ll be 3 Bill Boards or Get Out.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  21. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Jurassic World sequel looks better. Think it pretty much confirms that the stuff on the island prob takes place early in the film.

22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Solo: A Star Wars Story

It's a short teaser, but it looks great! I can't wait for the full trailer tomorrow!

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Wow! This looks absolutely amazing!

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

I expected this to be good, but I didn't expect it to look this good!

A Quiet Place

Could this end up being the best horror film of the year? It looks like it!

Red Sparrow

Cool looking spy thriller. I'm not a fan of Jen Law, but she looks good in this.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I haven't checked the numbers, but I'm pretty sure that even though that "Solo" was a teaser trailer, it won the Super Bow movie commercials followed by the Infinity War trailer, but of nerds.

I like the Jurassic World trailer but I feel it revealed too much of the movie. The movie does look like a larger scope than most of the previous films as there are new places.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Probably because we already got one trailer for Infinity War already prior to the SB, but this was pretty much the first look everybody was getting at "Solo"

25. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I saw a trailer for this infront of Three Billboards in the UK so its getting some promotion here, Allen's films have tended to make a lot of there money in Europe in recent years generally.

Honestly I think the Allen situation coming to the fore in the current climate is HIGHLY questionable, these aren't new allegations that needed to come to light, they've been very public for 20+ years and he hasn't faced as criminal investigation which a lot of questions asked as to whether Mia Farrow coached her daughter to the point of false memories to get back at Allen.