main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT [DDC 2018]”Raising the enemy”, Orson Krennic, 12 diary entries

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Jan 21, 2018.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Series: “Raising the enemy”, an answer to the diary challenge 2018

Author: AzureAngel2

Co-Author and first editor: @DarthUncle

Second and main editor: @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Time frame: The story starts on Naboo about 9 months after the events of RotS (19 BBY) and will definitely end on the day that Scarif fell in 0 BBY.

Summary: A high ranking Imperial officer finds his life strangely altered after the death of the only person that he ever cared for. This diary is about Orson Krennic’s thoughts and choices.

Reader warning: Please excuse my weird English! I am German. English is only my Second language!

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

[​IMG]

Entry 1, Coruscant, 9th month of Emperor Palpatine’s reign

I am just back from Naboo and did not recognize myself in the bathroom mirror. Who is that hollow eyed man? But even more importantly, where do all those silver threads come from?

There are also these deep lines in my face, looking like a map of enemy territory.

My cheek bones almost stick through my skin. I need to reconsider my eating habits. Otherwise I start resembling Tarkin, the old skeleton. Seriously! The slaves in the Spice mines of Kessel look that way, haunted and doomed to die.

All in all, it seems like I aged a hundred years since the necropsy on Lothal. I just had no time to properly look at myself before tonight. There was so much to do, so much to plan. I wanted not to shame Ina another time. So I did my utmost. Only now, in the privacy of my Coruscant flat, I allow myself to fall apart.

Imagine, Ina is but a pile of ash stuffed into an urn now. Actually, I took some of that ash when Commodex Tahn was not looking. I intend to keep it in a special case next to my bedside.

It is more than unfortunate that the new military codex forbids me to wear any jewellery. Otherwise I would have converted a nice Corellian tradition for my purpose.

Speaking about Corellia, right now I am having my second glass of Corellian whiskey. Perhaps I should indulge myself in a third one later on.

The bottle is from Barin Samye, Ina’s husband who died in the first month of the Clone Wars. Perhaps that’s theft, but I did not want anybody within her foster family to have it. Especially not 'Old Belch' (Teller), 'Ducky Drav' (Draven) or 'Crixy Pixy' (Madine). Such a good drop would be wasted on those three clowns. I would like to knock them of their perch. Who was stupid enough to enlist them into the Empire? They deserve to end up in a labour camp like 'Bay Bay' (Chasdy). Sooner or later, they will betray their station. I am damn sure about it. They reek of treason.

What a day! I thought I would not survive it. All those people who came to pay Ina their last respect – amazing! There was more public business going on than during the Boonta Eve pod race on Tatooine.

Even Lord Vader showed up, though he did not stay for long. Weird fellow! Obviously, he has no special rank within the Army or the Navy, but nevertheless a lot of rights and absolute immunity, sounds like a good place to be. His sight scared the wits out of poor Gita. I had to swear to her that he was not the one who murdered her kid. What a silly notion! He seems to be very close to the Emperor, aka Ina’s uncle.

When I take a closer look at the Imperial Council, Lord Vader and Ars Dangor are likely to be the only ones who had no motive to kill Ina. It seems to be high treason to write down something like this, but why the freck should I care? The truth will come out sooner or later. I am sure of it. Ina will be avenged.

Watching the flames hungrily devouring her body was not the worst part though. It really was the more painful final realisation that Ina is no more, no matter what I do. She will never come back into my life, enrich it with her company. Her sudden murder leaves me behind with many questions, and an empty hole somewhere.

But there is more. I feel this urge to set the entire universe on fire. Not just familiar ambition to build my legacy, but almost as if I care to improve the universe! Set fire to those like Lyra Erso, the stupid bantha cow.

Ina’s therapist, who was among those attended the ceremony, offered me some sessions with him, but I don’t see the necessity. That won’t bring her back from the dead either now will it! Sanity isn’t my problem. But with her death Ina seems to have given me some of her heart, that’s the root of it. Now I give a damn!

I should have more Corellian whiskey.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Kahara, Nehru_Amidala and DarthUncle like this.
  2. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    This seems so very Krennic, as I have gotten to know him from you 'Rage' story. I sort of like him, in the way one can like someone like Aphra cunningly deceiving the bad and good guys. He's a bit of an ass, but he knows it, and fears to suddenly be more in the wake of Nagina's loss. Looking forward to see him develop, maybe until that time that he has a kid, as he did in the one short story you posted where he met Birch and others for a drink to Nagina, years later.

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Nagina married Krennic, they were happy... and she was murdered?:eek: Why do I think Palpy was involved? He drinks more than Eli does after a bad break up. Loved this so much, and I happily await the next chapter.

4. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    No, @Nehru_Amidala. Only some of that is true. But you misinterpreted the rest. I therefore advice you to carefully read the last chapter of my Nagina main story.

Orson loved Nagina like an older sister. It was never a romance.

And Nagina (Samye) secretly got married to Lor San Tekka during her 41st birthday. Only her three foster brothers Berch (Teller), Dravits (Draven) & Crix (Madine) know about it. And her fosters Gita and Chetan Anil, of course. Plus the brother of Cognizance, who did the wedding ceremony in an upstairs bedroom.

And Palps would have never ever killed his niece!!! He is devastated and now one with the dark side forever more.

PS: But he indeed drinks a lot in my 1st diary entry.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    All right, I'll have to go back and read that chapter then, sorry about that.

6. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very nice start on a diary. You can feel the continuing contradiction that is Orson and his genuine feelings for Nagina, although they never got in the way of his ambition or other loyalties/goals. I think his grief is tinged with more than a little guilt. [face_thinking]

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  8. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Thanks for always being the first reader of my fics with the most encouraging feedback comments!

Here is more, edited by @DarthUncle and containing a surprise for @earlybird-obi-wan:

Entry 2, Coruscant, 9th month of Emperor Palpatine’s reign, follow up:

I just had the worst conversation ever. It was not the Emperor though. He does no personal house calls any longer, just hides away in his former senatorial flat. I fear that he will do so until I can deliver him that palace that he craves more than anything else. (A poor substitute for Ina, if you ask me.)

No, my landlord just came to see me. He is not happy about me almost burning the entire flat building down last night.

Fact is: only my living-room got damaged. The other flats were far from danger. The Coruscant fire brigade was quick to react. Their Chief Rosco, a though bloke, is right. I might have had one drink too much. It was an act of gross negligence nevertheless. One I can’t afford.

'Project Celestial' is at a critical state. Who will put all this blinkered idiots back in line if not me?

Even Galen, a genius in his field of expertise, needs constant motivation and pampering. I should let Lyra and smelly 'Baby Face' Jyn disappear. Just like that. They distract him too much from the things that really matter.

Galen should be a single man like me. I can get things done without having to hold back all the time. Or being involved into unnerving family affairs.

Which reminds me: the old man on Chandrilla seems to be completely healed since that blasted convor pooped on him. If I can get hold of that bird, I will tear out its feathers while it is still alive. Then I will roast it to death. Sloooooowly.

Damn it, Agrippa was diagnosed with terminal prostate gland cancer. This is not fair! Why is he allowed to go on and I have no Ina any more? She was just forty-one.

What really upsets me is that impossible woman on Lexrul though. She wrote me a holo message and offered her condolences. As if she really would care. She never cared and this is the root of the problem. The Force this, the Force that… blah! Blast it! It is more than obvious that she dreams of our reunion. The amount of psychedelic drugs that she must take at present seems to be immense. Well, dream on, woman! I am not your son, remember? You said so yourself when you witnessed what I did to that squall twenty-five years ago. As if a dead rodent would matter to anybody. I should have mattered to you from day one. Now it’s too late!

Gah, what a day! I hope it will get better at one point. Ina would want me to get my act together. I should hit the gym and then do some planning for the Emperor’s palace.

Oh and he still wants that tower for Scarif. I was sent a copy from one of Ina’s fairy tale books. As if an enchanted castle is a solid work assignment, leave a lone a decent job instruction. I see what I can do tough, but I have to point out am not an illustrator for children’s books. Among all my titles I have a Master of Architecture (M.Arch.) and a degree for plant construction and engineering.

I should not write that down, but at the peak of the tower the Emperor (canna call him Sheev any longer, right?) wants a secret chamber to installed as well. For medical use. If I am to build something for his servant – Lord Vader - he can totally forget about that. Never mind that the Emperor is my commander-in-chief!

I have suspected all along that the man in black has medical issues. He sounds worse that General Grievous minus the cough that is. Yet I am not prepared to move a single finger for a cyborg of the worst kind. The stories and rumours about him are rather frightening. Perhaps Ina was right with her revenge of the Sith presumptions.

Kahara and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  9. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Wonderful chapter here! Alcohol+angst+work= nothing good! At least when it comes to blacking out and letting the den burn. Why didn't Sheev just torch the convor and eat it?

Kahara likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Well, Krennic is sure on a rant of frustration against everyone. Definitely has no respect for Sheev, Vader, eec. :p

Kahara likes this.
  11. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Orson is as misanthropic as ever, though one can tell his grief has him even more on edge. All that pain he can't really process is turning his usual bad temper to something worse yet. :(

Excellent job of capturing his perspective, as ever. =D= Thrilled to see you posting a diary this year! :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Is it weird that out of that entire story post, the thing my brain latched onto was the fact that Bathsheba pooped on Sheev?

Bathsheba pooped on Sheev. Good birdie.

Kahara likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Fact. [face_mischief]

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    muttering about everything including the firedept

15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    You are absolutely right about Orson falling back into old, unhealthy habits that kicked him out of the Futures Program a long time ago.

As for Sheev: he had no idea about the existence of a convor in his niece´s life. Leave alone that it "gave" Orson the Sith brooch back that had been a present for her.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, there are only two woman that Orson ever respected: Nagina and her foster mom Gita Anil.

@Kahara: I will pause with big epic stories for a while and write small stuff instead.

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701, actually she did what owls do. Owl vomit.

She puked up a Sith artefact when Orson was there for the coroner´s inquest right there at the crime scene of Nagina´s death.

@earlybird-obi-wan: I hope I did your OC character justice!

Anyway, I am still tired from a great day out downtown. Meeting an ex-collegue of mine, now a dear friend, for lunch. Then we went to see the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" together. Afterwards we chatted some time in one of Berlin´s many Irish Pubs.

Tomorrow is my way belated birthday party (12:00pm until 6:00pm). So I am better off to bed, after posting this:

Entry 3, Coruscant, 1st Empire’s Day:

Ina would be overly proud of me. Since months I stay away from alcohol for the sake of my project, unless I am invited to social occasions where networking is important. Would not refer to it as nocturnal carousing though. Tarkin, the old wowser, does.

Fact is: I am a caner with years of decent training on Lexrul. Binge drinking was common for most youth of the farming community. It helped to tolerate the bantha poodoo that our families believed in and lived for: the Force. As if fruit cultivation has anything to do with a mystical energy field. How stupid can you get?

This is also the very question that comes to mind when I look at Galen these days. Being a family man is not helpful for the deadlines that we are facing. I am close to selling his daughter on the slave market. Canto Bight is always in need of animal care takers.

For Lyra I should go for something more special. She should be given to a research facility as a test object. Something with chemical and biological weapons. This way even a dumb sheila like her can be at least of some use for the glory of the Empire.

Like the woman who claims to be my mother Lyra seems to be a Force junkie, too. I found evidence that support my theory. But Lord Vader was not interested. A real pity that!

People who believe in the Force are a danger to themselves and others. They are clearly thorns in our society. The Empire can live without them like we are all able to lead our lives without Jedi poking their noses into our affairs any more. I am glad that they are extinct.

Ina claimed the Kyber crystals to be holy beings. It pains me that she was wrong about something that is an essential part of my work. Those crystals are just solid material whose constituents are arranged in a highly ordered microscopic structure, forming a crystal lattice that extends in all directions.

I can agree that apple trees and other plants are brainless life forms, but Kyber crystals? That is a little far-fetched. And I am damned sure you cannot Force attune them. No matter what fairy tales Ina came up with. Kindie teachers must be story-tellers and believers, I suppose.

Anyway, I am invited to join the celebrations in honour of the Emperor tonight. But the old man is not willing to see me in person again yet. He wants me to finish his tower for Scarif first.

Next in line are my latest construction drawings for his palace. He really wants to convert the old Jedi temple and why not? Their terrorist lot does not need it any more.

And above all I am still the leading project manger of my battle station. She is going to be a true beauty.

Oh, that reminds me: Delila Craven had the nerves to contact me. That chick used to be one of my Lexrul tour groupies. Yesterday she told me that we have a baby daughter together. It’s a miracle! I’m pretty sure that I have not seen her in twenty years.

Now she talks about alimony payment! For a child I have not fathered! She has got some palings off the fence. Her life-long spice addiction must have turned her brain into a giant mushroom. I will not give her a single Imperial Credit. But I will not send my personal Death troopers to hunt her down either. My lawyer can easily dismiss her claims without me having to meet her. I wonder if she still is pretty.

Ah well, spice addicts. 'Crixy Pixie’s' mom was one, too. Just for a little hand full of Giggledust she had tried to sell him to a Toydarian merchant in the streets of Coronet. Tsk!

Dear 'Crixy' when I see you serving our Empire I cannot help the thought that the Raithal Academy really takes the lowest street rats in. Another proof of their poor choices is Caul Gentis. Sometimes I ask myself if Ina would be still alive if his daddy - cursed Headmaster Gentis - never made his coup.

Anyway, I must hurry up now. The gala dinner will start any time soon and I do not wish anybody of the Tarkin gang to get the best seats for themselves. I am part of that special club too you know. And I better will be treated this way!

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Very cynical musings there. And sounds like you had a great relaxing time today. :)

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    He is so very sure about himself

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    The man is drowning in self-denial and guilt. Well done! ;)

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Poop, puke, good bird either way.

And Canto Bight. Clever tie in to TLJ.

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Yes, I had, but since days I am down with the flue and slept a lot. Hopefully I am back at work next week. Orson might have suffered all the crankiness, that I show, when I am ill.

@earlybird-obi-wan: Ah well, that is Orson for you.

@Nehru_Amidala: Thanks for the praise and stopping by!

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: After watching the BBC series "The night manager" with my husband, I started to believe that warmongers and those who sell weapons to them are always out there. So I figured that Canto Bight was there even before the new trilogy.

And a new update, the last for this month:

Entry 4, Coruscant, the morning after 1st Empire’s Day:

Just returned home to my bachelor´s den. Left the party straight after the big fire works in Sheev´s honour. I simply had enough of Tarkin and his gang. They verbally attacked me for hours. After all my great achievements I am still but a bloody farm boy to them. I hate that sophisticated lot. Get stuffed! All of you.

True, I was not born with a golden spoon in my mouth. Nor do I have a title or property attached to my name. But I know what hard work means. I am no stranger to sweat and blood.

There was no help from the two people who claim to be my parents. One loved his blasted apple trees more than the son he produced. And the missus only lived for the Force. A mantra here, a blessing there, but nothing for me.

Only Ina ever believed in me. Her love inspired me in ways those laser brains of the initiative could never imagine. I miss her so much that it hurts. To gaze at my collection of holo images of her just isn´t the same. I want the real thing, not a bunch of data.

Right now I am so sick of Coruscant. Perhaps it is time to make an unscheduled visit at the construction site of the Citadel tower. I might even stay on Scarif for a while. A sniff of sea air will do me good.

Of late conference rooms have something claustrophobic about them, seem to be filled with my enemies only. I need my own entourage, men who look up to me and follow each of my orders without questioning. Tarkin has such people around him all the time and their number grows by the hour. Why can´t I inspire the way he does? What must I do to win followers?

Workers seem to conspire against me. Scientists and slaves even. This has to stop. I want results, not only excuses and delays. In the end I have to answer to the Emperor. It should not be my head in danger all the time.

Perhaps I should revive some of my old hobbies. It feels like a life time that I played the guitar for Ina.

21. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Speaking of self-doubt, Krennic has to deal with Tarkin and them looking down their noses at him, poor guy. :( Shame to think nobody else has their head on the line.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Intense missing of Nagina's warmth and acceptance blends with frustration and a sense of claustrophobia. [face_thinking] Tarkin inspires loyalty through fear and blind ambition. @};- Hobbies and a change of scene definitely would work marvels. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Tarkin sure has his ways
    He should stick to his hobbies

24. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Wow, you've got Krennic pegged. =D= Cynicism to the extreme. The way this is written though... his perspective is explained so thoroughly. Is it possible to feel sorry for this guy? Don't know if I can, even with the way he's treated by Tarkin. Great read.

25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @Nehru_Amidala: Thanks for showing some sympathy for Orson Krennic. He does not get that very often as an other recent fanfic of mine (= a one-shot) shows.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Orsonc might find peace from an unexpected source soon as was hinted in a certain fanfic of mine. It will be a miracle, sort of!

@earlybird-obi-wan: But in so far we learned that Orson is capricious like a unicorn as his own set of 9 vignettes for the Celtic song challenge 1 show.

@It Is Your Destiny: That is precisely my problem as a kindergarten teacher, I give my best even for the black sheep. I could tell you at least 3 nice things about children that are regarded as difficult by others, but get along with me. Orson´s character portrait thrives from that. And my love for the bad guys.

It is also fun when he crashes with other characters like he did in the Shanty Challenge.

Having an extreme high stress level at present and a lot of private sorrows, he distracts me nicely.

You all get the next update in the 2nd weekend of March. Thanks for reading and commenting! And mostly @DarthUncle for his calmness when dealing with a sick and bored wife, longing to go back to work!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.